Bono thinks Nickelback is as good as Radiohead, The Killers, & Coldplay...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quick transcript...

Bono: ....When we're in London and sometimes even when we're not, you want to find out who's next. Y'know, what's coming down the pipe. And as a band we are.... we suffer from one thing. I will tell you, and it's lonliness, in the sense of whenever somebody comes around, and looks like they are gonna just take on the world, some of the greatest groups in the last few years... Oasis, they still could. Radiohead, they still can, and have in a certain sense. Coldplay... and, but then they kind of lose their taste for the mainstream. I don't... I don't understand that, or they just do something else. Death by misadventure, or death by lack of venture. Whatever it is, these bands... I met The Killers, the other night. They look like they want it.

Interviewer: They're ready man.

Bono: And, you know Nickelback.... the... these bands look like they want it...

Interviewer: Sorry, who?

Last edited:
I think his point is that he wants the good bands to be competing in the mainstream. Sort of what he said about Pearl Jam and Radiohead when ATYCLB came out.

Again, I think what he's getting at is that crap bands like Nickleback are the only ones willing to fight for the mainstream attention. He wants to rid good rock of its ambivalence toward a large audience. I'm with him, as long as it doesn't require any of the good bands to compromise their muse.

Do I sense of hint of denial, re: Bono was being sarcastic, et al., perhaps he really does like Nickelback.

He also said he likes Hanson's Mmbop.

hehehe, good on ya Bono, ruffle some feathers.

;)

I didn't hear the word "crap" being associated with Nickelback in the above interview. It was the interviewer going all rock snobbish on them.

I bet Bono hums to himself, "How You Remind Me."

Hell, Jo Whiley, found a Boyzone CD amongst their pile of CDs in the studio. Hmmmmm.....

Bono probably has the same philosophy I do. Or a similar one. I don't have to think of music as "challenging" or even "objectively good" to enjoy it. If I like a song, I like it. I don't always change the station when Nickelback comes on. But they're not technical masterminds.

i just listened to that part of the interview again.
so funny.
he says the word "nickelback" and then he totally tries to take it back after he says it.
i was just imagaining that adam or edge totally were kicking him under the table after he said it.
he just was spouting off bands like he is mister hip and cool and he went one too far!
bono=dork.
:yikes: :bono:

caragriff said:
i just listened to that part of the interview again.
so funny.
he says the word "nickelback" and then he totally tries to take it back after he says it.
i was just imagaining that adam or edge totally were kicking him under the table after he said it.
he just was spouting off bands like he is mister hip and cool and he went one too far!
bono=dork.
:yikes: :bono:

I can imagine that... one of them (probably Edge made a joking comment) but then who owns the Boyzone CD?

:scratch:

Flying FuManchu said:
He pretty much says it in the Radio1 Interview, in spite of the pompous interviewer...

That's Bono though. He says weird shit sometimes. I mean even in the latest Rolling Stone magazine he's quoted as saying "It's the most interesting art object since the electric guitar" when refering to ipods. C'mon now Bono. The most interesting since the electric guitar?? I don't think so. Nickleback? I don't think so.

He meant another band he corrected himself. Was it Razorlight or something like that but he said Nickelback by mistake. Bono then said he was Dyslexic, I think saying this means he said Nickelback by mistake. And then when the DJ was trying to wrap things up Bono said Bon Jovi, as taking the piss, then the DJ added, also taking the piss, Foreigner & Journey all the classics.

rjhbonovox said:
He meant another band he corrected himself. Was it Razorlight or something like that but he said Nickelback by mistake. Bono then said he was Dyslexic, I think saying this means he said Nickelback by mistake. And then when the DJ was trying to wrap things up Bono said Bon Jovi, as taking the piss, then the DJ added, also taking the piss, Foreigner & Journey all the classics.

Nothing like having all the facts. You're totally right. Close the thread.

Last edited:
Another quick transcript... I have no idea what the onions thing means.

Bono: Sorry (nervous laugh).

Interviewer: (laughs) So, I think you just swore there. Sorry (mumbles).

Bono: I said Razorlight.

Interviewer: (laughing) Ah, good. Just checking.

Bono: I'm dyslexic (nervous laugh).

Interviewer: Y'know...

Bono: Scary moment for me.

Interviewer: I know. You just blacked out there for a second.

Bono: By God, yeah.

Interviewer: Yeah, yeah.

Someone in the background (Edge?): (laughter/ mumbling) ... jump into the river... (laughs)

Interviewer: Haha... One of those bands that we think've defintely got onions and hope they stick around, although judging from their aftershow ways, I'm not to sure they're gonna last six months as Kasabian (?). And we've got a couple more minutes with uh, with U2, before they go to play live. That's it we got to go downstairs, thats's it. Gentleman, it's been an absolute pleasure. Thank you so much Edge, Adam, Bono, it's great...

Bono: Bon Jovi as well (laughter).

Interviewer: Yeah fantastic... Journey, Foreigner... All the classics. Larry. Excellent. Can't wait for you guys to play tonight live on the show. I'm gonna go back down, you guys are gonna go hit Kasabian's (?). We're gonna kick off. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Bono said Nickelback but meant Razorlight? I doubt it. He was shamed into denying his appreciation of Nickelback by Zane (I think he was the interviewer) and his bandmates. C'mon, no one denies Nickelback is hated by the "musical intelligentsia." Why would Bono mention Nickelback (who is generally hated by the media) amongst bands who are generally respected and liked by the media?

He's said he likes Hanson and Boyzone, yet Zane Lowe was able to "shame" him about his love for Nickleback in .05 seconds? He mis-spoke. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom