Bono thinks Nickelback is as good as Radiohead, The Killers, & Coldplay...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm shocked at the amount of hate this board has for Nickelback... and they're Canadian to boot.

Somone made an interesting point that Bono likes Destiny's Child and Jay Z... why would Nickelback be any different from that crowd.

Maybe in the UK, Razorlight has hit it big but I haven't heard of them making a big impact in the US. I consider myself in the know/ up to date with the American music scene b/c I read Rolling Stone and have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly.

Maybe, Bono wanted to get back in good graces with Zane by mentioning a somewhat obscure band such as Razorlight cuz y'know it ain't cool to like Nickelback.

Again maybe Bono thinks Nickelback makes the same quality of music as Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis, and the Killers. I think that "You Remind Me" song has a nice little solo.

Last edited:
intedomine said:
nothing wrong with nickelback...the best of a kind of sub genre that has emerged in the past 6 years....

Better than the Lifehouses and the Creeds of the world by far, awesome vocalist too.

Songs have a lot of emotion and soar, similar to u2 in a sense, and theyve got their own sound. A Band with integrity and stand out comapred with the crud that has been served out to us in the past 8 years.

Lyrically kind of dull, not worldshakers by any means, but not a bad band.....i think they are definately one of the best in the world at the moment, even though i don't have any of their albums.

I agree with that, and agree with the fact they're better then Chris Martin's shit excuse for a band.

Nickleback make too much stuff which sounds the same, and will probably never be great, but there are a few gems in their back catalogue. (try: Leader Of Men, Old Enough, Not Leavin Yet, One Last Run , all of which sounds quite "unforgetable fire")

Personally, I'd never admit it to my friends, as Nickelback have been hammered by everyone in the business.

You know when you meet a big Radiohead fan, you're not going to have a good time with them. They can't actually enjoy music, all they do is analyze motives. They think Radiohead don't have an agenda, that everything they do is pure and spontanous, when in reality, everything Radiohead does is calculated and planned to support their image. They were on MTV Spring Break, they we're on MTV 10 Spot, they're signed to a huge record corporation, they make millions of $. Remind them of that.

Last edited:
you people are all mad.

flying munch, i wouldn't expect you to understand good music. you had an avatar of scott fucking stapp for ages.

and if you can't tell the difference between jay z and nickelback, i strongly recommend getting out of music completely. find a new hobby. go biking. perhaps a long walk in the woods. maybe even attend a friend's bbq and forget everything.

mr brau, your mind is set. radiohead makes pop music, and they're the first to admit it. they however, refuse to act like assholes and proclaim mindlessly that "we're the best band in the world!!"

bono sounds like a little child whenever he says that.

Flying FuManchu said:
I think that "You Remind Me" song has a nice little solo.

alright, you ARE jick aren't you? here to take the piss.

i think that's pretty funny actually, i wish i had come up with that moniker. :up:

sorry i didn't catch on sooner...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
good... i hate radiohead... yayyyy let's make our music weird just so top 40 radio won't play our stuff because we don't wanna be associated with that crap yayyyyyyyyyyyy

fuck 'em

:bow: Thank you!

I have several Radiohead CD's and barring their early 90's work, I just can't get into them. They bore me so and I don't find them innovative at all. For them to even consider "mainstream" they'd have to alter their style substantially. Coldplay is O.K., but I'm not a fan of Martin's voice. For all the crap y'all give poor Bono about his voice, it's about 1000x better than just about every male lead singer I hear. Even technically better singers, like Josh Grobin (or even Clay Aiken :ohmy: ) have no emotion to their voices. They are good singers, but are passionless souls. Martin may have some passion, but his voice is wretched.

I'm not familiar with the other artists enough to comment. But I do like Black Motorcycle Rebel Club - and I hope they can find a market and succeed. :yes:

Zoomerang96 said:
you people are all mad.

flying munch, i wouldn't expect you to understand good music. you had an avatar of scott fucking stapp for ages.

and if you can't tell the difference between jay z and nickelback, i strongly recommend getting out of music completely. find a new hobby. go biking. perhaps a long walk in the woods. maybe even attend a friend's bbq and forget everything.

mr brau, your mind is set. radiohead makes pop music, and they're the first to admit it. they however, refuse to act like assholes and proclaim mindlessly that "we're the best band in the world!!"

see what I mean...Radiohead fans :yuck:

MrBrau1 said:
You know when you meet a big Radiohead fan, you're not going to have a good time with them. They can't actually enjoy music, all they do is analyze motives. They think Radiohead don't have an agenda, that everything they do is pure and spontanous, when in reality, everything Radiohead does is calculated and planned to support their image. They were on MTV Spring Break, they we're on MTV 10 Spot, they're signed to a huge record corporation, they make millions of $. Remind them of that.

I will next time I meet one.... ;)

I remember Radiohead at MTV Spring Break/ Beach House or something. One of the MTV people saved Thom Yorke's life or something. See MTV did something positve for once. ;)

Zoomerang96 said:
you people are all mad.

That avatar of Scott Stapp reminded me of a young Bono... since this is a U2 forum... connection made.

Flying FuManchu said:

That avatar of Scott Stapp reminded me of a young Bono... since this is a U2 forum... connection made.

then why not use a picture of bono if you want a picture of bono?!

Zoomerang96 said:

see what i mean...u2 fans... :yuck:

nice generalising you've got going on, really, i'm quite impressed.

It's not generalizing. Every Radiohead fan I've ever met has been the same kind of music dickhead. From my experience, this is fact. The music is sometimes brilliant, and I've seen them live, and they're amazing. Only way it could have been better is if everyone around me stopped breathing, or just went back to Brooklyn. Trendy.

MrBrau1 said:

It's not generalizing. Every Radiohead fan I've ever met has been the same kind of music dickhead. From my experience, this is fact. The music is sometimes brilliant, and I've seen them live, and they're amazing. Only way it could have been better is if everyone around me stopped breathing, or just went back to Brooklyn. Trendy.

by your own standards, and with your own words here, you're just as bad as any "typical radiohead fan".

kakvox said:
Nickelback, huh... :scratch: :confused: :shocked: :yikes:
Good old Bono. Always a kind word for everyone.
Haha... Nickelback is one of those bands that alternative listeners try to like, although there's really nothing great I can say about them. Their songs seem to sound all the same, I tried to enjoy them for a while, now I give up.

Zoomerang96 said:

alterbridge is quite something arent they? the true future of rock.
I enjoyed Alter Bridge's CD more than any Creed CD except for My Own Prison. I think they have more potential than Creed, but then again, who doesn't? Creed broke up.

Macfistowannabe said:
I enjoyed Alter Bridge's CD more than any Creed CD except for My Own Prison. I think they have more potential than Creed, but then again, who doesn't? Creed broke up.

so...you actually purchased the cd?

Maybe it's just me, but I think Alter Bridge is uncomparably better than Nickelback.

Flying FuManchu said:

Maybe in the UK, Razorlight has hit it big but I haven't heard of them making a big impact in the US. I consider myself in the know/ up to date with the American music scene b/c I read Rolling Stone and have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly.

Maybe, Bono wanted to get back in good graces with Zane by mentioning a somewhat obscure band such as Razorlight cuz y'know it ain't cool to like Nickelback.

Why would the success of a band in the US make any difference when Bono was being interviewed by a British source? Razorlight have recently become well-known in the UK, hence, it would make sense to mention them on a UK radio station, to demonstrate that Bono ISN'T several years behind on what's going on in music (though he seems to be most of the time...).

I can only assume/hope the RS/EW comment is a joke....

Zoomerang96 said:

remind us again why youre on this forum? Saying this stuff and calling u2 the most over-rated band in the last 20 years, I mean, I'm saying it for your benefit. It's all about opinions and I could care less about negative feelings toward u2, but why waste your time here? I'm not trying to start a debate, just wondering.

Oh, I definetly love Radiohead (2nd favorite after u2) but what Mr Brau and headache said is dead on :up:

Last edited:
RademR said:

remind us again why youre on this forum? Saying this stuff and calling u2 the most over-rated band in the last 20 years, I mean, I'm saying it for your benefit. It's all about opinions and I could care less about negative feelings toward u2, but why waste your time here?

Oh, I definetly love Radiohead but what Mr Brau said is dead on :up:

because i used to be a big fan, and now with 'bomb' i find myself enjoying them again.

but mindless praise has every right to be met with opposing views if warranted. it's a message board. there's more than one person posting here, and naturally, different opinions and ideas are brought forward.

not very complex is it?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
good... i hate radiohead... yayyyy let's make our music weird just so top 40 radio won't play our stuff because we don't wanna be associated with that crap yayyyyyyyyyyyy

fuck 'em

Maybe you don't like Radiohead because they are against your B man. Not our B man.

Back
Top Bottom