Bono Needs More Emotional Detachment So He Can Sing "Unsingable" Songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
Back in the JT Tour in `87 and as early as April, U2 were already soundchecking One Tree Hill (minus the vocal). But Bono never sang it on the earlier shows because the memory of Greg Caroll's death was still very fresh in his mind and he would not be able to sing the song.

During the Zoo TV Tour, U2 never did Acrobat. There was a rumor (or was it confirmed?) that Bono didn't want to sing it because it was too personal for him and he'd have a hard time telling people that he does one thing and says something else.

During Elevation, Bono's song for his daughters was Kite. It was a personal song. It didn't get played for the first few shows until Phoenix I think.

Nowadays, in Sometimes You Can't Make It - Bono gets too emotional and chokes somewhere in the song - making him have problems singing the falsetto part "best you can do is to fake it". This diminishes the aural clarity, sound quality, and faithfulness to the original of the song.

The rumored setlists floating around also don't contain A Man And A Woman. Bono was quoted as saying "I shake when I sing it. It obviously touches a nerve." Perhaps this is why he is not singing it this time?

The setlists to date also don't contain Original Of The Species. I remember one interview with the Edge saying that the song reminded him of his daughter and the playback of the song was the last time he cried.

Another song, One Step Closer To Knowing, looks like it may not be played. And this is another song about Bono's dad.

There is an obvious pattern in all of the above. If the song is too emotional for U2, they won't play it. So in the end, the big loser is the U2 fan. Bono's emotional attachment to his songs greatly sacrifices U2's setlist felxibility as well as their actual performance quality (Bono choking on the falsetto of Sometimes).

I think U2 should take a detached perspective. They should approach emotionally challenging songs in a cold emotionless manner so that they can play all of them and not just limit their options. They shoudn't shortchange their fans.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Oh come on, jick. You know that that is complete nonsense - I can't believe that you or anybody else is shallow and twisted enough to actually believe that. Your time away from here has obviously stunted your gift for winding people up.

What is the point in expressing yourself musically if you're not going to put any emotion into it? Bono's not a robot.

Dminus. Must try harder.

Last edited:
Rolf Harris?

Any emotion imo is the corner stone of all great music, it is ever present without it we are not human and I'm proud that we can even ponder turning our strife into great music just like the B- man has done so well

Yeah, that's why he played Kite at Earl's Court right after his father died. It may have been written about his kids, but it clearly had relevance to his relationship with his father as well. And he also went into When Will I See You Again during One. Doesn't sound like a guy trying to hide from anything. Or the band playing the Omagh tribute, something that they definitely took pretty personally.

I'd say this is a new low, but there's oh so much competition to choose from...

laz

ZeroDude said:
Rolf Harris?

Rolf Harris puts amazing emotion into his music! Have you not heard his version ofv Stairway to Heaven? It's a tearjerker... mainly because it's so appalling!

:wink:

Jick this doesn't live up to your normal half baked illogical theories. Shame.

First off we've had one dress rehearsal.

One Step Closer has been reported at rehearsals.

Original was played at the iPod show I believe.

That's not the reason Acrobat wasn't played.

Try and use some FACTS when coming up with this crap.

Original of the species was played twice on the promo tour, and they rehearsed One step closer in Vancouver (and I think Mexico too). My guess is they will be played, the band just may not feel 100% satisfied with the live versions yet.

As for Acrobat, as Bono said on the last tour he and Edge would have to "meditate in a tree for about a month" to play it right. Some songs just don't work live.

As for personal songs, please. They do not avoid them.

U2girl said:
As for Acrobat, as Bono said on the last tour he and Edge would have to "meditate in a tree for about a month" to play it right. Some songs just don't work live.

This is the quote I was looking for in Acrobat and it reinforces my point.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

This is the quote I was looking for in Acrobat and it reinforces my point.

Cheers,

J

Um, no it doesn't, the quote when in context is about how the song has too much going on and technically would be very difficult to play.

Try again.

sallycinnamon78 said:
Oh come on, jick. You know that that is complete nonsense - I can't believe that you or anybody else is shallow and twisted enough to actually believe that. Your time away from here has obviously stunted your gift for winding people up.

What is the point in expressing yourself musically if you're not going to put any emotion into it? Bono's not a robot.

Dminus. Must try harder.

The emotion is in the songwriting and song arrangement. You sing with all your heart in the studio and choose the sad chords.

But live you have an audience who can see and hear you. It would not be a good sight to be seen getting overly emoitional live. The audience pays U2 to play their songs, not to make it a sobfest. So U2 should play their songs no matter how difficult. That is why for some "fan-favorite-but-never-been-played-before songs" U2 should find a way to play it. The solution? Emotional detachment for these tough songs.

Cheers,

J

Finally jick didn't mention Pop in his thread!!
Congratulations.
Acrobat isn't emotional too much, it's too hard to play.

Let's make a deal:
Anytime you make a factless thread you owe me a 5 000 000 dollars, they can be paid in shrewberries.

jick said:

But live you have an audience who can see and hear you. It would not be a good sight to be seen getting overly emoitional live.

Cheers,

J

No emotion at a U2 show? Bono not showing emotion? What about his 'Fuck the revolution!' speech? What about the Sarevjo link-ups? What about Bullet The Blue Sky? What about With Or Without You? What about Love Is Blindness? What about Sunday Bloody Sunday? What about the white flag? What about climbing the rafters? What about the Live Aid performance? What about WTSHNN? What about...

Emotion is what makes U2 who they are. Bono believes in their songs, and believes in himself and his audience. Bono not getting emotionally invested in his performances? Who would want that? Anyone? Jick?

-Miggy D

If it wasn't Easter Sunday, I'd be using several choice swear words right about now. :censored: :censored:

I liked you better when you weren't posting drivel, Jick.

Then again, there never was a time when that happened. Oops. My bad.

Re: Bono Needs More Emotional Detachment So He Can Sing "Unsingable" Songs...

jick said:
I just pick a set of facts, present it as it is, draw the possible implications of the facts, then present it to Interference for intellectually stimulating discussion.

I have realized that every thread I start has always been taken with great interest by the readers of this forum. All of this just makes me more careful with what I say, more diligent in researching my facts.

Cheers,

J

just another :blahblah: from jick... life wouldn't be the same without it...

Last edited:
Jick, go watch the Slane Castle DVD. Several days after his father's funeral, I think. Pay attention to Kite, Streets, Pride, One, Bonus song Mysterious Ways, All I want is You, Sunday Blooday Sunday, Wake up Dead Man, Out of Control...hell, just watch the whole dang thing.

Lots of different emotions, almost like a roller coaster, resulting in Bono singing/talking to the crowd (this is our tribe), singing about his father, his marriage, Omagh, Jesus, love, loss, good times and bad, etc.

The result? Two great shows...one just before and one just after Bono's Dad passed. The Edge was visibly shaken during Kite and Streets, as was Bono. Bono was thrilled with the crowd during Pride, as was Larry. Adam was a robot. The emotions of the night made the show that much better...for the fans and the band. So, what the hell are you talking about?

Wow everyone is pretty angry at this Jick guy :eek:

As for the post, that is pretty absurd.

Music is nothing with out emotion. If you just want perfect renditions of the songs then turn on a CD player!

beLIEve said:
Jick, go watch the Slane Castle DVD. Several days after his father's funeral, I think. Pay attention to Kite, Streets, Pride, One, Bonus song Mysterious Ways, All I want is You, Sunday Blooday Sunday, Wake up Dead Man, Out of Control...hell, just watch the whole dang thing.

Lots of different emotions, almost like a roller coaster, resulting in Bono singing/talking to the crowd (this is our tribe), singing about his father, his marriage, Omagh, Jesus, love, loss, good times and bad, etc.

The result? Two great shows...one just before and one just after Bono's Dad passed. The Edge was visibly shaken during Kite and Streets, as was Bono. Bono was thrilled with the crowd during Pride, as was Larry. Adam was a robot. The emotions of the night made the show that much better...for the fans and the band. So, what the hell are you talking about?

Bravo! :up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Um, no it doesn't, the quote when in context is about how the song has too much going on and technically would be very difficult to play.

Try again.
thank you. this is the same reason do you feel loved was dropped from popmart's setlist. it was too difficult to play live and the song suffered because of it. some of their more difficult songs can be reworked live into something else, some just can't.

I thought the whole point of music was to express something so emotional it can't be articulated through words alone. My bad.

Jick, I know you try to be coy with these BS posts...but honestly now this is a reach even for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom