Bono more interested in Politics?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
Does anyone think that an over involvement in politics in recent years from Bono, is part of the reason why Bomb lacked what previous albums had?

And should he stop it in time for the next album?
Wat's more important... politics, or an amazing U2 album?!

He has said that politics doesn't turn him on the way music does, that he could never be a politician because he likes to have fun, and other such Bonoesque things.

Bomb actually didn't have that much politics in it. It was more of their maturity and years type of thing. Look at SYCMIOYO, A Man and a Woman, OSC, OOTS, etc.

I admire his political involvement, but I think it's tainted his lyric-writing. His lyrics used to be more fiery, passionate, poetic, and even strident at times. Now he's mellowed a bit, and seems intent on not offending anyone, in order to appeal to the maximum number of people. Then again, maybe he's just mellowed out with age, like most people do?

phillyfan26 said:
Bomb actually didn't have that much politics in it. It was more of their maturity and years type of thing. Look at SYCMIOYO, A Man and a Woman, OSC, OOTS, etc.

I'm not saying that the songs are political, I'm just saying that he's not concentrating on the music as much because he's pre-occupied with politics

Well, in that case, I still disagree, because I think it's a pretty good album.

Music is still the most important thing to him, and he's said so himself. If you notice, most of the complaints of Bomb are that they spent too MUCH time on it, over-producing and such. They certainly didn't slack off for it. Their concentration is there.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think Larry fucked up the last album, not Bono.

But Bono makes a better punching bags for such folks.

I agree. Although not just Larry. It actually sounds like Bono was the only one fighting for the (most likely) far better original album. ALTHOUGH I do think this is his weakest lyrical effort, at a time when it could have been his most brilliant, with everything going on in his world.

Final Straw said:

Hilarious.

I wasn't kidding. I'm not aware of Bono's participation in any political campaigning recently. His humanitarian work is not partisan. Social justice and politics are not the same thing, but I think this is part of what Bono's trying to prove....

Back
Top Bottom