Bono moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Yeah, him hitting "L'amore" on Miss Sarajevo has been one of the highlights of the tour vocally.

I can hit "L'amore" on Miss Sarajevo. I guess the tough part is to keep it sustained till the end.

Zootlesque said:

I can hit "L'amore" on Miss Sarajevo. I guess the tough part is to keep it sustained till the end.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I've kept it sustained as long as he did only once. It's quite difficult. At some Australia shows he did it for 12 seconds.

Also is here anyone who knows any live version from ZooTV on WGRYWH when he hits "don't you look back" in the original key?

Is there any version of Vertigo when he holds the "feel" part longer then usally? He did hold the note long in one of the feels on The Japan tv station performence. Anyone got the Japan tv performence on video here?

Also Bono's falsetto is now stronger then it have been in years. The "highway to hell" snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18 - Melbourne) is amazing and the line: "She sees the man inside the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild" on MW(2006-11-18 - Melbourne) hasnt been sing like this for years :)

Last edited:
I have the Japan TV appearance. It's a 123 MB file. I can put it in a Mega upload file if you like.

Peterrrrr said:

Also Bono's falsetto is now stronger then it have been in years. The "highway to hell" snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18 - Melbourne) is amazing and the line: "She sees the man inside the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild" on MW(2006-11-18 - Melbourne) hasnt been sing like this for years :)

Here is the MW from Melbourne:

http://www.send space.com/file/yxsn6m

My favorite Bono moments came in during the ZOOTV tour, right before "One" when he actually didn't speak

Peterrrrr said:
Also is here anyone who knows any live version from ZooTV on WGRYWH when he hits "don't you look back" in the original key?

Here's the Stockholm 92 version. I believe this is what you're looking for. The BEST live version of this song IMO, and after hearing this I don't understand how the Edge (in U2byU2) claims it doesn't get off the ground live.

Enjoy
http://download.you send it.com/08B62AAB67C1829A

~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:

Here's the Stockholm 92 version. I believe this is what you're looking for. The BEST live version of this song IMO, and after hearing this I don't understand how the Edge (in U2byU2) claims it doesn't get off the ground live.

Enjoy
http://download.you send it.com/08B62AAB67C1829A

~A.j.~

Thanks, but in this version he hit the note but not a strong as in the studio version.

There were much better performances of Wild Horses on the ZooTV 1st leg than the Stockholm one, especially because they've featured a wonderful Edge solo.

Another great Bono moment isn't necessarily a part where he pushes his voice to the max.

In a Little While... say what you will about this song.. love it or hate it... but just the broken, cracked voice in it makes the song fantastic. The Edge's vocal outro in the live version is wonderful to.

While on the topic of full force Bono vocals, though, I'd like to add that the middle part of Wild Honey always makes me smile as well ("What is soul, love me give me soul"). It unfortunately never came through in the live acoustic versions during Elevation.

Peterrrrr said:

Mysterious Ways(1992-06-15 - East Rtuherford)
In the end of this version Bono screams out a falsetto, something I never heard him do before.

I was just listening to this in my car today, and the high notes almost blew out my speakers. :giggle:

Is here anybody who knows what the time is on the longest note Bono have hold?

My thoughts are:

L'amoure on Miss Sarajevo on the 5th leg

Free note in Native Son

The "Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" note in the 2003 live performence on Night And Day

"Sing" note on 2005-10-03 - Boston - SYCMIOYO 8 seconds.

Native Son note is also 8 seconds I think.

L'amore on Miss Sarajeo is about 10 seconds.

U2girl said:
Native Son note is also 8 seconds I think.

L'amore on Miss Sarajeo is about 10 seconds.

but it sounds awful - :no: I hate Bono singing Pavarottis part - it's crap, he overtaking himself in a very huge way.

My personal "voice"-Bono moments? - most "moments" 20 years ago. For example: Red Hill Mining Town, in a Livetime, one three hill, all I want is you etc. etc.

Miss Sarajevo .... the opera part is just amazing and it's quite a brave move of Bono to sing it, he's not trying to be Pavarotti, he's only trying to be himself and relying on the strength of his voice ... I think it's great, even if it does not work out perfectly every time he sings it. Many people are in awe of this particular performance, and vocally it was the strongest during the last leg of the tour. I think it could have been an embarrassement but wasn't, it was simply very touching. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.

last unicorn said:
Miss Sarajevo .... the opera part is just amazing and it's quite a brave move of Bono to sing it, he's not trying to be Pavarotti, he's only trying to be himself and relying on the strength of his voice ... I think it's great, even if it does not work out perfectly every time he sings it. Many people are in awe of this particular performance, and vocally it was the strongest during the last leg of the tour. I think it could have been an embarrassement but wasn't, it was simply very touching. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.

it's hard for me to understand that people really can see this this way.

- brave moment? I really like Bono for believing in himself in so many ways, - he thinks he can save the world, playing guitar and now even making a "fine" Spiderman-musical - but with Miss Sarejewo he has walked ground that's just wasn't meant for him - when I first hear Bono singing Pavarottis part I thought: now he has lost it completely - he's crazy.

20 years ago when he had a much stronger voice that would be painful - but today? it's so theatrical and just bad - it hurts.

perrypickwick said:

when I first hear Bono singing Pavarottis part I thought: now he has lost it completely - he's crazy.
So now he's crazy for believing in himself.
Okay, more crazy people for this world, I say.
Anyway, I believe Bono is very much aware that he cannot sing this song like Pararotti or any real opera singer could, it's his take on the song and it's special.
I am not so sure many other singers could have done it this way. It creates a special atmosphere at the show.
So what, some people like it, others don't, but it's not a bad performance, really.

perrypickwick said:

but it sounds awful - :no: I hate Bono singing Pavarottis part - it's crap, he overtaking himself in a very huge way.

My personal "voice"-Bono moments? - most "moments" 20 years ago. For example: Red Hill Mining Town, in a Livetime, one three hill, all I want is you etc. etc.

I don't think he was bad at all on Miss Sarajevo and what says that he could have sing this then? Bono couldnt sang the Pride chours on JT/Lt tour, he could on Vertigo tour. I think he sang OTH better then ever on this tour, he sang it with more feeling, it was more beautiful then ever. I think Bono is a better SINGER then ever, sure he dosent have the raw powr force he had under the 80's and the 90's. But still name one LT show where he manage to hit the whole Wide Awake note. There is none. Just listen to Bad from 2005-12-04 - Boston and 2005-09-14 - Toronto.

His voice peak years for me is: 84,86,87,92,94,95 and 05-06.

I was in Amsterdam at 16-07-2005, where they played Miss Sarajevo for the first time on The Vertigo Tour....he sounded amazing during that song. It was a really great show....Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses came along also.:drool:

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
the end of All I Want Is You from Slane gives me chills

Mine, too. I've listened to it many times- it seems that his voice and being call out passionate emotions of love for Ali and the pain of his fathers' passing and it stops my heart every time.

Back
Top Bottom