Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick, what do think of some other bands "issues" in thier historys? it would be intrestin to see how you judge other bands. like red hot chili peppers? they ever make a mistake? some point to the dave narravo album, one hot minute. on chili peppers message boards, you coud switch the debates thier on OHM to this board it would be the same as pop execept for the name of the album. a album that is bashed my many, loved by many. a album chili peppers donlt play live. a album that sold just like pop. one million copys after intial release. only going double platium 6 years after release. what you think about that jick? do you judge other bands like u2 and if so give example.

allbecauseofu2 said:
jick, what do think of some other bands "issues" in thier historys? it would be intrestin to see how you judge other bands. like red hot chili peppers? they ever make a mistake? some point to the dave narravo album, one hot minute. on chili peppers message boards, you coud switch the debates thier on OHM to this board it would be the same as pop execept for the name of the album. a album that is bashed my many, loved by many. a album chili peppers donlt play live. a album that sold just like pop. one million copys after intial release. only going double platium 6 years after release. what you think about that jick? do you judge other bands like u2 and if so give example.

very good questions.

so jick, is it about the anti attention u crave that you get here, w/your aggravating posts..or do u just love going around pissing in everyone's cheerios indiscriminately?

db9

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

A lot of the initial gushing was probably just because it was U2. Once people saw and heard what it really was, opinions changed. The TV special from Vegas was the lowest rated non news program ever. I turned it off in the first 5 minutes, not knowing whether to laugh or cry at what had become of my band. While many here take up for it, and after all this IS a U2 board, it really is a laughingstock on other rock sites and general rock message boards I've seen and people send me links to. People really did laugh at this album and tour, though IMO the Discotheque video and the silly costumes they all wore had a hand in making people judge it before they really listened to the album (This coming from a person who does not even like most of the album, but will give it the benefit of the doubt that's what happened.)

Though everyone has every right to like or dislike what they want, sorry, Pop is not regarded highly among most fans, casual fans, or the general media as the other albums they made after they hit it big, and this is just a fact. How many Pop songs do you hear on classic rock stations? I hear none, but plenty from JT, UF, War, and AB. Every time someone brags on U2 and their legend and greatness, Pop is usually not mentioned. When they were at the Super Bowl and they played that history montage, I didn't see any Pop, but in slo mo I think I saw one second flash of it. I really do believe the public at large, many fans, as well as the band themselves really don't hold it up there with the other work.

Hate to break it to ya, but on many other rock sites U2 as a band, not just one of their albums, is not revered.

jick said:
The U2 website and presale fiasco did substantial damage to U2's image. It was the longtime fans who were hurt the most. Fans began to doubt U2's integrity and their desire to continue on. Fans began to doubt U2's priority shift - postulating that perhaps they are now motivated more by money than by music.

To make things worse, U2 handled the matter the wrong way. Instead of coming to the fans' help, they left it to U2.com and Ticketmaster to explain themselves. Surely, U2's high-handed manner of ignoring the problem and being silent about it showed arrogance on their part.

So begun the massive U2 boycott. U2's American Chart positions dropped tremendously, from 13 to 22 to 28! It's torrid sales pace suddenly fell behind All That You Can't Leave Behind (no pun intended). Even in their home country of Ireland, the disappointed fans vented their ire by dropping the album to a lowly 13th on the Irish charts.

When you add up image problems, chart failure, and the fact that the band are already in their 40s and have lingered over 20 years in the industry, then the conclusion in inevitable: their relevance is waning and they are slowly morphing from contemporary trailblazing band to a mere nostalgia act (like the Rolling Stones right now).

Surely even U2 can no longer dig themselves out of this hole. Surely.

That's until Mullen comes to the rescue.

The Mullen Apology triggered everything. In one of the most touching artist-to-fan confessionals in rock'n'roll history, Mullen tells the fans regarding the fiasco that "some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't." When he said some was within U2's control yet it still happened, he showed the humane fallible side of U2. The imperfection of U2 was exposed and admitted for the first time in such a public form of fans, many of whom thought of U2 as demigods who could do no wrong.

He went further to say "I want to apologise to you" and he ended by reassuring the fans of U2's "total commitment to our audience." Some may have thought U2's commitment was no longer to their audience but towards other material things such as riches. But with The Mullen Apology accompanied by the membership refund offer, all doubt was erased. Why would U2 turn down so much profits (membership fee refunds)? It can only be the total commitment Mullen stressed out.

What made The Mullen Apology so unique was the action that accompanied the words. Some artists (one U2 band member quickly comes to mind) are full of big words but no action to back it up. The Mullen Apology came with the refund offer, a new U2 fan ticket distribution scheme for the North America fall tour, and added dates for the first leg.

The after-effects of The Mullen Apology have already started to trickle in. Fans have related to the humane and imperfect side of U2 and sympathize with their guilt. The boycott is a thing of the past. Week 11 chart positions in U2's birthplace, Ireland, saw a massive climb from #13 to #5. The Netherlands saw the album shooting up from #8 to #6. In Britain, U2 withstood 5 new entries to lose only 1 position and hold steady in the top 20 at #18. Chart-wise, U2 are already making a grand comeback. I predict that the comeback in American charts may not be immediately evident this week, but look out for next week's results - and don't forget you heard the prediction here first.

U2's image was already tarnished. They were destined for commercial failure. There was no way they could rebound from the debacle. But they are doing it now. But the comeback won't mean a return to #1 in the charts. So you may ask - why am I labelling it the mother of all comebacks?

The answer is simple. In the music industry, you are only entitled to one comeback - then it's back to the commerical vacuum grave for you. Sting had his one-off with Brand New Day, Santana got his renaissance with Supernatural, the Eagles shook of their 14-year vacation with Hell Feezes Over but are on permanent vacation now, Blondie had her brief spell when Maria made the charts, and the list goes on. But is there anyone who can make a comeback twice? The answer supposed to be no. That is until U2.

U2 suffered their worst commercial and artistic disappointment with POP. From the disappointing chart nosedive of POP after a #1 debut in 33 countries, to the band looking "lost" in their first concert in Vegas (which also features a restart of Staring At The Sun with Bono arguing with Mullen), to the assortment of boos they received in the Macarena karaoke performance in Spain, up to the third leg where they played to half-empty stadiums in USA and Canada. Let's not forget zero Grammies. Surely U2 were done as a relevant music force after this.

But U2 made the grandest of all comebacks with All That You Can't Leave Behind, with its 11 million worldwide sales and 4 million U2 sales. Beautiful Day seemed to stay forever in the charts and the album seemed to win a gazillion Grammies. The tour grossed a record amount. So people were thinking U2 already used up their "one allocated comeback." Well think again!

After this presale fiasco, U2's image problems and the chart nosedive, U2 are supposed to have run out of lives. They aren't supposed to comeback from this. But thanks to The Mullen Apology, U2 are back in track and have resurrected from another certain death. An improbable second comeback? Well, this would have to be the mother of all comebacks!

Oh wait, the comeback has not really happend yet. It's just that I am positively predicting it: a rebound in the American charts, the lost love from fans found again, a successful tour that will have the fans feeling that they got their money's worth (as opposed to being robbed), and doubts about U2's integrity problems erased. All this hasn't happened yet but my prediction is that it will. I know this is a bold positive prediction because many think U2 have run out of lives. But who can prevent me from being positive and optimistic?

I think The Mullen Apology should go down as one of the legendary U2 written literature, right up there with the lyrics of "One" and Bono's introduction to the Book of Psalms.

Cheers,

J

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse me of posting nothing positive in this forum, I've only got two words for you...
the album is back up because the single is around...radio play etc etc....

Re: Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

jick said:

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse me of posting nothing positive in this forum, I've only got two words for you...

:lmao:

Very funny.

Thing is though, do they really need another 'comeback' anyway?

Over a quarter of a million concert tickets sold in an hour in the UK seems pretty successful to me.

Re: Re: Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

Ellay said:

Over a quarter of a million concert tickets sold in an hour in the UK seems pretty successful to me.

:up:

allbecauseofu2 said:

This is getting too far off topic but I am not a RHCP fan. I don't think their career mirrors U2. If anything it would be Bon Jovi.

Slippery When Wet = Joshua Tree (pinnacle in sales for both)
New Jersey = Rattle & Hum (album released right after the pinnacle album)
Keep The Faith = Achtung Baby (both bands exploring new types of sounds)
These Days = Pop (commercially less successful then previous efforts)
Crush = All That You Can't Leave Behind (a return to commercial success)

The difference is Bon Jovi just followed the basic "one comeback rule" and they had theirs with Crush. Their next album, Bounce, tanked. Then their "One Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong" is boxed set that was only for the hardcore fans so commercially very unsuccessful. So from the early 80's up to 2000 or 2001, Bon Jovi was right up there with U2 in terms of longevity and staying power in the mainstream success road. But with the failure of Bounce and U2's imminent second comeback, it looks like Bon Jovi will get run over. But before that they were toe to toe with U2 - and were the closest to matching U2's staying power.

So there you go, I even veered farther off topic because I am not a RHCP fan and think your comparison doesn't quite match up. U2 are better compared to Bon Jovi.

But then this post isn't that far off topic. I still got to mention second comeback somewhere here.
Cheers,

J

indra said:

Hate to break it to ya, but on many other rock sites U2 as a band, not just one of their albums, is not revered.

One example is the Audio Asylum message board for the audiophiles. Here are excerpts of some posts about U2 whenever music was a discussion: (Oh by the way, these are the same people who love Rush, Dream Theater, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd and other "high-brow" audiophile quality groups)

"At one point in time U2 might have been a viable contender for the best "pop" band in the world. But now they are about 15 years past their prime. And as Bono continues his attempt to cross over from musician to celebrity, its clear that he recognizes U2's impending descent into a nostalgia act. "

"Your claim that U2 is the world`s greatest rock and roll band has as much credibility as your claim that Bono is a Brit."

"Most overrated band since Led Zeppelin, with some great material and an awful lot of painfully mediocre filler, sez me. One thing they did have going for them was that they did have an original sound. Now they're reduced to lifting melody lines from Supremes songs? "

"Let Bono speak his mind all he wants. I myself wish he'd shut up, but that extends past his activism into his music as well. But I don't see any evidence that anyone's actually tried to quiet him. If he's done good, then he's done good, end of story. Doesn't mean I can't both find him annoying & also acknowledge that he is doing some good. And I do. But if there's a better stereotype for a self-important rock star, I can't think of anyone better than these chukes. Oh, brother, what an overblown load of puh. I swear, I think they've put out some great work, all of which can easily fit on one CD. The rest of it I'd flush. The whole world apparently disagrees with me, which is fine. I'll never see what the big deal is about these guys; I say they couldn't shine Husker Du's shoes on their best day."

"Someone please respond angrily with the point that they've stayed together than any successful band without so much as a lineup change, because maybe you'll be able to explain to me exactly what the heck THAT has to do with anything. And then let me know why you don't think that lefties occasionally find Bono annoying as well (look further down this thread for details). I anxiously await."

"they are at best a greatest hits band with a ton of filler, especially as of late. They have been going downhill for a long time and I think Bono spent so much time on his activism that he has had to rush mediocre albums out. Or maybe he has spent so much time on activism because the music had gotten so bad. I mean songs like "Its a beautiful Day" and the rest I have been hearing only get air time in my opinion because of their previous work and the music industries continued total allegience to proven sellers. If this was the only stuff they had ever done the wouldn't get played. "

"Oh and let us not forget, they are the WORST recorded band of the century. I dread it when someone requests any U2 record from my collection. I would rather listen to Bono's political rhetoric... "

"Between his Africa trips, his pro-Kerry postulating and the Ipod commercial, it seems that Bono is much more interested in being a celebrity than a musician. And most recently there has been a to-do over his vocals vs. the Darkness dude's vocals on the Band Aid single? I'm sure die hard U2 fans are thrilled that the band continues to put out new music, but I think they are simply trying to avoid becoming a nostalgia act. If Bono could keep his face out of the media spotlight for five minutes, the band would be a lot more credible. "

And this is Audio Asylum, not even a rock site. So yes, most of you would be surprised but there are so many people who hate U2 and I just cannot understand why.

Cheers,

J

diamond said:

very good questions.

so jick, is it about the anti attention u crave that you get here, w/your aggravating posts..or do u just love going around pissing in everyone's cheerios indiscriminately?

db9

I don't crave any attention. I just post what's on my mind. It's just that I seem to always have a following of naysayers wherever I go, nitpicking every post I make and trying to find negative things out of purely positive things.

If you look at all my posts, there are the same old names who keep on dissing me without making any points but just attacking my person. But if you skip through all these "perennial J dissers" you will see very intelligent replies to my thought-provoking posts that make it good reading and good discussion.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

Ellay said:

:lmao:

Very funny.

The 'comeback' is a logical effect of The Mullen Apology.

U2 need to comeback from their chart position drops and the bad rap against them for their fansite mess.

U2 will come back from their loss of credibility, integrity, and marketability.

So yes they need the comeback, but they don't need to "do" anything anymore. Everything will flow naturally after The Mullen Apology.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

And this is Audio Asylum, not even a rock site. So yes, most of you would be surprised but there are so many people who hate U2 and I just cannot understand why.

99% of negative U2 posts I have seen at other boards is either aimed against Bono or the fact that U2 is so popular.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what music elitists and snobs have to say. I'd rather listen to music critics, as long as the majority of them praises U2's work, they'll be fine.

jick-
the only disconcerting thing i've read in the last few pgs is that you know way too much about Bon Jovi.

cheers,
db9

diamond said:
jick-
the only disconcerting thing i've read in the last few pgs is that you know way too much about Bon Jovi.

cheers,
db9

Being an avid U2 fan, any threat to U2 alarms me. So far their stiffest and most recent competition was Bon Jovi - so I kept tabs with them to see to it that they haven't overtaken U2.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Being an avid U2 fan, any threat to U2 alarms me. So far their stiffest and most recent competition was Bon Jovi - so I kept tabs with them to see to it that they haven't overtaken U2.

Cheers,

J

Jickie,, This is getting quite disturbing.

This comeback doesn't exist
U2 has been on top...... only a crap record or an unsucessful tour can give a chance for a "comeback"

I recommend you to think before making your posts

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think diamond and jick are the same people :hmm:

:wink:
headache-
i wish you had only a small fraction of jick's personality.
then u would be someone:sexywink:.

cheers,
db9:wink:

ps-
thx for the bon jovi clarification mr jick.:wink:

Last edited:
Jick comes from a heavily indebted third world country that is among the top in the world in corruption. Jick would never pay to be a premium member in this site. Diamond is a premium member. Therefore, Jick cannot be Diamond. By the way, Jick isn't even his real name, it's just his username here. He prefers to be called J, the name that made him so loved and popular in the previous incarnations of Wire up to this forum.

Enough of the accusations about using aliases. Can't we just get back to the topic?

It seems U2 have had a minor setback. From their 28th position, they dropped out of the top 30 for Week 11. But always bear in mind that Week 11 is last week's sales, before many got their refunds or fully got to comprehend the depth of the Mullen apology. So the slight drop is expected.

However, the grand comeback in America will beging starting Week 12. U2 will re-enter the top 30. That is my fearless forecast.

This comeback was made possible through the efforts of Mullen in his written apology that is slowly rising up the ranks in U2 lore.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Jickie,,, I am not buying your theory, since those Mullen apologies to was mostly the bands " loyal " fans who felt cheated. And those fans already HAVE the new album.. Atleast it would be stupid to think otherwise..

U2 could return to the charts because of all the media attention about the Vertigo tour. Articles about how fast the shows are selling out, and so on. These kind of articles could give those who still havn´t bought the album, the idea that HTDAAB is the music messiah of 2005.. Its not Mullens apology..

Your theory is as cheesy as........ Bon Jovi :yuck:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom