Best Album Survivor: Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U2 would sound silly performing "Boy" live in it's entirety today.

Pretty sure they sounded damn awesome performing about half of it in 2005.

Better than they sounded performing that ATYCLB shite on 360 anyway.

LUNEDEMINUIT said:
......and dropped it at the end of the first leg,thank you very much.

What does that have to do with anything? Regardless of how long they played it, they still rocked doing so.

Bring back Electric Co!!!

The Electric Co. lasted until the fourth leg anyway, and was played at about two thirds of the total shows.

It was only ACD/ITH that wasn't seen again after the end of the first leg. (For shame! Though it spared us Bono pretending to be a cat.)

I consider An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart to be an honest to goodness masterpiece. They haven't released a rocker in the last, what, 20 years? that tops I Will Follow or Twilight or Out Of Control. Maybe..maybe DYFL? It possibly belongs in the conversation. Otherwise, none of any uptempo songs off any album after AB come close. They absolutely and without any doubt have not released an album since AB with a better run of songs from front to back / 1 to 10 (11 if you like S+TT, which I do not)

And 11 Oclock Tick Tock, while it doesn't appear on Boy, is one of the best early songs by any band, ever. It's of that same time frame and speaks to just how..fucking alive this band was back then. Any doubts? Need a reminder? Get out your Sweetest Thing CD and listen to tracks 2 & 3 for reference.

I agree with Axver - a perpetual :tsk: on you all for voting off Boy!

Really tough call here. I think I need to listen to Boy and UF back-to-back before I can make a decision.

U2 would sound silly performing "Boy" live in it's entirety today.While with "Pop",with a few arrangement changes ,they would come off way better.

Well, U2 has performed significant parts of Boy relatively recently. And didn't look at all silly doing it.

Pop? Not so much, which should tell you all you need to know about what they think about the relative merits of each record to contemporary audiences. So I guess we'll never really know if Pop would come across "way better", as you explicitly state, because U2 is unlikely to ever go down this road.

And in any event, even if you were right (and you're not), so what? They were a lot younger then, and whether they'd look "silly" playing those old songs says nothing about the artistic merits of Boy vs. Pop.

Well,for one,lyrically,some of the songs from "Boy" does sound silly coming out of the mouth of a 52 years old man.That is where Pop is way better.Even Bono has admitted,that the songwriting is weak all the way through TUF.Second,Boy is essentially on the shoulder of Edge,while on Pop,the rhythm section is more diverse as well as more refine.(DYFL,MOFO,GONE,LNOE)

It's funny that, for some people, Pop is "a joke", while for others (me included), it's one of U2's "most intense and spiritual records" (The Edge's words from an interview with Bill Ellis, The Commercial Appeal, 5.11.97).
Perhaps the joke is on the ppl who think Pop is a joke.

Or perhaps the joke is on people who take seriously what U2 has to say about a record while they're in the middle of trying to sell it. Or perhaps you believe HTDAAB is their best record?

As for me, I tend to think what they say about a record later, when they're not trying to move it off the shelves, is a little more accurate. And their numerous comments distancing themselves from Pop over the past 15 years are well known.

Of course, people are free to like, or not like, any U2 record they wish. I made a comment on the record....I never said liking Pop was a "joke". Yet you took it personally.

Are you really here to hijack another thread? Didn't you promise Dig to stop this behaviour in his threads?

(sigh)

The old U2 pattern: they love it at first, and only start panning it when a lot of the fans do. A similar thing has happened with NLOTH in the last couple of years - proudly promoting the album while the initial praise rolls in, then distancing themselves from it once they realise it's not as popular as they thought it was going to be.
And there's a big difference between Bono saying something like "it's our best record ever!! 11 reasons to go on the road!!" and Edge saying something is very spiritual and intense.

I have this horrible, sick feeling that once Boy goes, the Boy voters are going to gang up on The Unforgettable Fire.

the tourist said:
I have this horrible, sick feeling that once Boy goes, the Boy voters are going to gang up on The Unforgettable Fire.

Nah, TUF always cracks at least the top 4. Pop is going next.

The old U2 pattern: they love it at first, and only start panning it when a lot of the fans do. A similar thing has happened with NLOTH in the last couple of years - proudly promoting the album while the initial praise rolls in, then distancing themselves from it once they realise it's not as popular as they thought it was going to be.
And there's a big difference between Bono saying something like "it's our best record ever!! 11 reasons to go on the road!!" and Edge saying something is very spiritual and intense.

I'm not even sure what that's supposed mean in describing Pop..."spiritual and intense". You could pretty much apply that label interchangeably to almost any U2 record and it would be valid...including by the way October. It's all nice and good that Edge thinks Pop is "spiritual and intense", but if the music doesn't work, it doesn't work. And the bands comments over the years have been that it didn't work. Of course, you are free to feel differently, nothing says you have to agree with the band, or anyone else about U2's music. My personal favourite is TUF. Bono thinks it's a mess, lyrically and musically, but I think it's brilliant. And I have no doubt it won't come close to winning this contest (Achtung Baby will win). And I don't care.

And yeah, I do tend to believe things they have to say about their music years later, on reflection, rather than when they're in the middle of trying to sell them. Your comment about NLOTH only proves my point.

I'm not even sure what that's supposed mean in describing Pop..."spiritual and intense". You could pretty much apply that label interchangeably to almost any U2 record and it would be valid...including by the way October. It's all nice and good that Edge thinks Pop is "spiritual and intense", but if the music doesn't work, it doesn't work. And the bands comments over the years was that it didn't work. Of course, you are free to feel differently, nothing says you have to agree with the band, or anyone else about U2's music. My personal favourite is TUF. Bono thinks it's a mess, lyrically and musically, but I think it's brilliant. And I have no doubt it won't come close to winning this contest (Achtung Baby will win). And I don't care.

And yeah, I do tend to believe things they have to say about their music years later, on reflection, rather than when they're in the middle of trying to sell them. Your comment about NLOTH only proves my point.

So, you believe things they say about Pop years later, on reflection, but you don't believe things they (or Bono) say about TUF? At least, as far as TUF is concerned, you chose - rightly - not to believe in Bono. My advice: never trust bono. He lies.

the tourist said:

Not from me. There's no way Zooropa and Pop are better than them.

Me neither. TUF is definitely top three material for me (with JT and AB). Some days, I think it might be their best work. It's so hard to pick one. It can change by day.

So, you believe things they say about Pop years later, on reflection, but you don't believe things they (or Bono) say about TUF? At least, as far as TUF is concerned, you chose - rightly - not to believe in Bono. My advice: never trust bono. He lies.

You misunderstand me. It's not that I don't believe what U2 say about their music, years later. In fact, as I said, I think it's probably a more accurate reflection of what they really think. So I do believe what what Bono said about TUF...I believe he truly thinks it was a mess, lyrically and musically. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Just as you are free to disagree with the comments about Pop over the years.

As far as the "Bono lies" thing...yeah, I get it. But I think he's much more likely to, um, "over-promote" a record while he's trying to sell it, as opposed to years later when he has nothing to gain. As Stephen Spielberg said (about promoting movies), "There's a time to be a human being and there's a time to sell cars".

I think anyone whose followed this band throughout the years (including you, I, and most people around here), and sorted through their various comments has a pretty good idea of where they stand on each record.

Nothing to gain? Give me a break. They are still 'selling' after the fact. Towards their legacy and towards justifying the current creative direction. U2, or Bono specifically, love to revise history, continually. I'll point you towards Bono's various comments about Discotheque over the last decade. He tries to argue that if it were a #1 hit - then suddenly POP "works". When it was actually a top 10 hit. Objectively - that is an absurd viewpoint. Do you think that's what Bono really feels? Is he that delusional? Or is he (at the given times, say - when he was promoting ATYCLB or HTDAAB) spinning a yarn to try to excuse away their current turn toward more radio-friendly pop?

And he only does it for the same reason any politician does this sort of thing. Because it works. Anyone deferring to the band's opinion to justify their own is playing into it. Who really gives a shit what they say in that regard anyway? Does that play into your own view of the music? It shouldn't. I care about that they say w/r/t how a song comes about or whatever, but I don't much care how brilliant Bono thinks a given song is - whether he's selling the album or 10 years later selling the revised history of that album.

They obviously believe in the music they release at the time. Because obviously they aren't obligated to release anything. As soon as the shit hits the proverbial fan, Bono starts spinning. And many of his fans just defer to this opinion.

I was 22 when POP came out, old enough to remember the press and the hype and all the rest. They were 'all-in' on POP until they made a shit video for Disco that was received poorly and had an under-rehearsed tour get panned in America. And unlike a lot of people around here, I don't think POP was all that great. Half of it was the best we've seen of U2 in the last 15 years and the other half was an indicator of what was to come in terms of over-baked ideas with 37 producers sticking their mitts on it - and Bono singing the chorus to a single at the mixing desk or whatever.

15 years later, they are sticking to the idea that it was unfinished, etc. They spent a lot of time on that album, it was anything but undercooked. More like OVERcooked. But it's not really about POP anyway. It's about Bono and really, let's be honest - even Edge and the others - being almost entirely unreliable when it comes to discussing their own music. Such is the U2 paradox.

Back
Top Bottom