beautiful day- classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Know that there has been some time pass since its release do you consider Beautiful Day a top 10 U2 classic? I think the song is now in that class. I'm not asking if it is in your top 10 favorite, but to the casaul U2 fan. Will it be on of the songs U2 is remembered for? (With With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found, NYD, Pride, Bad, One, Streets, SBS etc.)

After hearing it on this tour, and the reception it get, and to me it sounds as good to day as when i first heard it- i say yes.

It's an great song... uplifting, full of hope, of happiness. It was like a new rising for U2. It's one of those songs that I'd love to have a good voice to sing it...

I love BD but it might just be the most overrated U2 song ever. For me it just doesn't have the timelessness about it that those others songs do...Still Haven't Found, Streets, SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, One, even Vertigo, etc etc

And Axver, if you try to tell me that 'One' is more overrated than BD, I will see to it that you are tortured by way of being trapped in a room with no way out in which you will be forced to listen to 'tryin' to throw your arms around the world' on repeat indefinitely. :wink:

I would say that it is one of their best. Trying to capture happiness is much harder than trying to capture sadness. No matter how many times I listen to it I just want to jump into the air or eat someone's apple while laying down on a baggage carousel. And I would counter NamkcuR comment by saying that on Interference BD is criminally underated and undeservingly made fun of. If Axver feels that One is the most overrated U2 song, I would agree with him.

Beautiful Day is one of those songs that just make me happy. Not a lot of songs can do that. It's cheerful and uplifting and I love the video too.

think this are the real classics:

Where the streets have no name
With or without you
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
One
Sunday bloody sunday
Bad
Pride

Then:

Beautiful day
New years day
I will follow
Desire
Mysterious ways

That's just my opinion, but I think lots of people see it like this. I think beautiful day is overrated, great song but not a classic like the ones I mentioned above.

POP-ROMANCER said:
think this are the real classics:

Pride

Then:

Beautiful day

That's just my opinion, but I think lots of people see it like this. I think beautiful day is overrated, great song but not a classic like the ones I mentioned above.

i would disagree here. I know pride is one of the most recognizable U2 songs and maybe in many 'causal fans' eyes bigger or more recognizable, but that is changing. I think BD is in this category, b/c it is the one song many high school age kids now know.

As for just merits of the songs, and how good they are and not based on how recognizable i would say that pride is the one that is overrated.

BD, classic U2 sound but not neccessarily a great record, great riff spoilt by some dodgy "sun always shine on tv" touch me lyrics. I think Aha should have got at least some royalties from this song.
Could have been a lot more raw and powerful.

hmm, pride is a 20years old u2 song. It's been played at every u2 tour and for years it's in lists like top100 all time. Beatiful day is 4 years old, so I would say pride is more classic and not because it's older. I think we have to wait a few years to say if beautiful day is so classic as streets, one etc. It really has the potential to become a classic!

I would hazard a guess that around 35% of interferencers are here in one way or another because of that song.

It was a great song then, it is still a good song now - I don't get why people go all out and haterise on it to the point they do.

Lyrically it is a bit light (by the standards of other classic songs) that maybe has somthing to do with the ageing factor. Also the ridiculous amount of popularity it had, tall poppy syndrome and that. WOWY & Desire get the same and had similar popular success.

Still it is clearly nothing except Walk On comes within daylight of it on ATYCLB, maybe that also plays into it. Gloria -> October & The Pop Singles -> Pop all get tarred with the same brush.

It boggles my mind sometimes.

"Beautiful Day" like "Streets" and "One" is really a track that you have to like in order to be a U2 fan.......it's what the band is all about.

namkcuR said:
I love BD but it might just be the most overrated U2 song ever. For me it just doesn't have the timelessness about it that those others songs do...Still Haven't Found, Streets, SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, One, even Vertigo, etc etc

And Axver, if you try to tell me that 'One' is more overrated than BD, I will see to it that you are tortured by way of being trapped in a room with no way out in which you will be forced to listen to 'tryin' to throw your arms around the world' on repeat indefinitely. :wink:

One is more over-rated than Beautiful ... Ghost. :wink:

Beautiful Day will be a classic, but I don't think you can all it that yet. I don't care for the song as I do others. I wish Heartland could become a classic. To the casual fan, BD is a classic. I'm afraid to say.

SMB

Overrated as hell IMV (personally I almost hate the song - I always have, no matter how hard I tried). It will probably become a classic - people like it.

Beautiful Day is the definition of an OVERRATED song, in my book.

"Beautiful Day" is a great song :wink: ... but I do not think of it as an overall classic !!
Songs from War, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby ... now, there's
U2's classics !! :drool:

villamania said:
great riff spoilt by some dodgy "sun always shine on tv" touch me lyrics. I think Aha should have got at least some royalties from this song.

AND this song was sung by the Norwegian singer who won "World Idol"...:hmm:

I smell a conspiracy theory coming on.....

:wink:

It is a classic in the truest sense of the word.......

my 2nd fave u2 song ever.......

Most overrated U2 song. "It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away". It is kind of an embarrassing lyric.

It's just not that interesting of a song. There's nothing about it that really grabs me. Edge's guitar at the end is nice, but there are easily 50 U2 songs that are better.

Never liked the song much myself, but I agree that it will stand a very long time as one of U2's most significant songs.

Beautiful Day has a sweet surf-punk guitar riff going on throughout it, but someone made the decision to turn it down on the final mix. Smacks of typical Edge modesty—a huge annoyance to me.

Back
Top Bottom