are you skipping any yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digsy

New Yorker
so is anyone hitting the skip button on any songs on HTDAAB yet? i've made a point so far of listening to it from start to finish every time - i figure for now, anything that i am inclined to hit skip on deserves a little bit longer to grow on me...
i know some people skip vertigo and start at Miracle Drug simply because Vertigo isnt new anymore and theres too much of the rest of the album to absorb still

So are you skipping any and if so, what?

I tend to have the whole CD on in the background quite alot when i'm doing something, but if i'm just listening for the heck of it, i'll skip ABOY and SYCMIOYO

oh, sorta like walking in on someones elses arguement that has nothing to do with you sort of thing eh?

Actually, I find I skip "City of Blinding Lights." I just don't get all the hype about this song...The verse melody is pretty uninspired, and the chorus "Oh-you-look-so-beau-ti-ful tongiht" is terrible IMO. The only thing that saves this song is the prechorus "I miss you when you're not around, I'm getting ready to leave the ground.

super fly guy said:
I skip one step closer and thats it!

thats the one i'm tempted to skip as well... trying not to but i'm getting to the point where i think i've given it enough time and i'm still just not liking it.

I have been skipping Vertigo on and off just because I played it to death before the other songs leaked.

I typically skip "A Man And A Woman" (my least favorite U2 song of all time) and "All Because Of You." I just can't stand the vocals or the lyrics on that last one...actually, calling them "lyrics" might be a bit generous. "Drivel" is probably more appropriate...or perhaps "shit."

I love the alternate version from iTunes with all my heart--were that on the album (even with the slightly-updated version of the music, which I have less than nothing against...it sounds cool), I'd never skip it.

I also tend to skip the final, cumbersome, painfully blunt verse from "Crumbs From Your Table;" that song was about as cool as "Until The End Of The World," for me (because it could be about a number of things, each making as much sense as the last and next)....but then Bono started harping on with his Sister Anne stuff and the whole, "Where you live..." deal. Not a bad sentiment...I just miss tact from this band. Overstatement has always been their downfall, and this lack of restraint still hampers them (especially Bono)--maybe even moreso than in the past.

Sorry for ramblin'...!!

Nothing yet...I will play certain songs sooner and I think "ok that's it" but the album just pulls me in and I play all of it.

I like ABOY lyrics, it works either on religous or secular level.
The chorus of Crumbs from your table and "would you deny from others what you demand for yourself" weren't clue enough what the song was about?

U2girl said:
The chorus of Crumbs from your table and "would you deny from others what you demand for yourself" weren't clue enough what the song was about?

Yeah, it's more than enough--I totally agree with you there. BUT it can easily be taken as something about a lover, a sibling, a parent...whatever. Even a generic world leader or something, if one wanted to put it on that level, you know? As a fan and "follower" of Bono, I know what it's supposed to mean...but it also reminds me of a relationship I just got out of, not too long ago. Just like "Until The End..." is obviously about Jesus/Judas, but can TOTALLY be about a relationship.

The last movement of "Crumbs..." just does away with all ambiguity and figurativity....it becomes didactic. That drives me nuts. It's a personal thing, I guess; I like a reason to INTERPRET--not just listen--to a song. "Crumbs..." doesn't allow for that; it is because that last verse was omitted from the DVD version that I prefer it GREATLY. Actually, I also appreciate Bono's doing away with the horrendous, "Cool down, mama!" bizness. :wink:

even though i love all the songs i think COBL is the one i have skipped a few times and vertigo. but One Step Closer is a great song. it sounds like it could be a Lou Reed song. i dont skip that one

Back
Top Bottom