Are U2 as popular as we think they are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aye many songs get sung over and over and over and...we know how it goes lol....

btw its not who you might have thought it was :wink: i checked :D

Good posts, Angela, Kitten, and Axver!

I would like to add that sometimes I feel as if there are two basic groups of U2 fans that sometimes overlook or simply refuse to recognize the other.

For example, at my job, EVERYONE is older than me, I'm the only girl, and most of the guys 30-40 are U2 fans and have been for a long time. Their claims to U2 fandom is that they were around for the JT-AB golden era and can say "I remember this UF Tour concert...". On the other hand, there's people like me, who simply because of my age, get pushed into the catagory of Pop/ATYCLB fans. I can't help it that I wasn't born until JT was released. I won't deny that ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour sparked my interest, but I like to think that I'm WAY beyond that now. I see a lot of times fans judging other fans based on simple demographics like age. So a part of me wonders if it's not so much the issue that U2 is not as popular as we think, but that we tend to group their popularity into the die-hard-been-there-done-that fans and the ones that get labelled Pop-loving-teeny-boppers.

I don't believe this is an issue on these boards, really, everyone here is beyond that, but at work, school, among friends and my parents' friends it happens over and over.

Of course, there are always casual fans that can hum along to a few of the Best Of hits, but that's not a BAD thing either.

I dunno, I hope this post makes sense. I'm not trying to point fingers or be negative, it's just how things have panned out in my experience. Maybe I'm typing out of my butt....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Good posts, Angela, Kitten, and Axver!

I would like to add that sometimes I feel as if there are two basic groups of U2 fans that sometimes overlook or simply refuse to recognize the other.

For example, at my job, EVERYONE is older than me, I'm the only girl, and most of the guys 30-40 are U2 fans and have been for a long time. Their claims to U2 fandom is that they were around for the JT-AB golden era and can say "I remember this UF Tour concert...". On the other hand, there's people like me, who simply because of my age, get pushed into the catagory of Pop/ATYCLB fans. I can't help it that I wasn't born until JT was released. I won't deny that ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour sparked my interest, but I like to think that I'm WAY beyond that now. I see a lot of times fans judging other fans based on simple demographics like age. So a part of me wonders if it's not so much the issue that U2 is not as popular as we think, but that we tend to group their popularity into the die-hard-been-there-done-that fans and the ones that get labelled Pop-loving-teeny-boppers.

I don't believe this is an issue on these boards, really, everyone here is beyond that, but at work, school, among friends and my parents' friends it happens over and over.

Of course, there are always casual fans that can hum along to a few of the Best Of hits, but that's not a BAD thing either.

I dunno, I hope this post makes sense. I'm not trying to point fingers or be negative, it's just how things have panned out in my experience. Maybe I'm typing out of my butt....

Not at all. That makes complete sense.

Particularly when you said that it's not your fault you weren't born until the time that JT came out. Us younger fans can't help the fact that we were born a little ways after U2 got started, and therefore took quite some time to get into this band.

Like you, ATYCLB is definitely where I first really started getting interested in them, but what was the first album of theirs I brought not long after I started getting into them? The Joshua Tree, which came out when I was 2 years old.

The age of the fans is definitely unimportant. When it all comes down to it, every one of us here, and every one of the people who are U2 fans at your workplace, and so on, is the same in the sense that we all love U2. And that's the only thing that should really matter.

Angela

Acrobat, I think the US view on U2 and other bands that have been around for a while is formed by echo-boomers, no not them, by the marketing that is targeting them. Old is bad, new is good. Even if you look at bands who are making albums after their first (for example Matchbox 20 or Train), they are relegated to "soft rock" or "adult contemporary" radio stations. They are pop bands, eventhough they are "older" (and when did 25 become old?, I ask Jessica Simpson). U2 appears to be more popular outside the US and I think it is simply our record companies that are to blame. They are so wrapped up in youth, and hip hop they have forgotten others are out there. Us "others" buy the music anyway so they don't bother marketing to us and that hurts the younger fans - they aren't exposed to different musics the way we were in the 70's 80's and early 90's.
And as for mellowing out as we get older, not wanting to hear the harder stuff, that is simply an overstatement. While I love ATYCLB, I find that I don't listen to it as much because I find it soft. I want the next album to be hard - and I won't be looking at U2 as trying to hard if it is.
Bottom line, you either like them or you don't. They are huge, they are good and they are sticking around. It's a shame that isn't appreciated as it should be.
Okay, I'll stop preaching now :rant:

Last edited:
to everything there is a season

WinnieThePoo said:
fans grew older , they're no longer interested in that extreme , hard on the edge , rock'n'roll , they want it safe , like ATYCLB , pure adult pop , pure market music .

Well maybe for some people, but I also think a lot of young (15-20 years, 20something old) fans really liked ATYCLB too.
IMO U2 would look redicioulus if they tried to play and present themselves like they did it when they were 20somethings. They're not the same people and they are aging gracefully.

Yeah, they went the "safe" route and just made an album of good songs, no flash or glimmer. Actually, in today's music scene, just releasing an album of good song is a gimmick.

A lot of people have been pointing out that fans come and go through different stages of U2's career. For instance, some may have been fans during the JT era, then weren't during ZooTV. Or were fans during ZooTV, but not of ATYCLB. I am one of those people, as I'm sure many here are, that just loves almost all of U2's songs. And it's not b/c I think, "oh it's U2, so I like it." For some reason, they're just the band for me. I love all the different eras they have been through and the uniqueness of each album. I think U2 will always have that fan base, because some people just innately enjoy most of their music.

it's not an "AgE" question , it's about life values , there are lots of artists who still create something ( like U2 ) and some just go for sold-out stadiums and audience .

EmilyBono said:
A lot of people have been pointing out that fans come and go through different stages of U2's career. For instance, some may have been fans during the JT era, then weren't during ZooTV. Or were fans during ZooTV, but not of ATYCLB. I am one of those people, as I'm sure many here are, that just loves almost all of U2's songs. And it's not b/c I think, "oh it's U2, so I like it." For some reason, they're just the band for me. I love all the different eras they have been through and the uniqueness of each album. I think U2 will always have that fan base, because some people just innately enjoy most of their music.

Exactly.

Originally posted by U2girl
Well maybe for some people, but I also think a lot of young (15-20 years, 20something old) fans really liked ATYCLB too.
IMO U2 would look redicioulus if they tried to play and present themselves like they did it when they were 20somethings. They're not the same people and they are aging gracefully.

Great point.

Angela

KhanadaRhodes said:
it's hard for me to say. this sounds like the tripe i heard...six years ago, during popmart. you wouldn't believe (all right, maybe you would) the teasing i got when people heard i was seeing U2 in concert.

I hate to bring this up, but U2 were really being joked on in the Popmart era, so that could have been it.:uhoh:

Without having read most of the replies here, my impression is different of popular opinion toward U2. What I tend to hear from U2 fans, non-U2 fans, and those barely acquainted with their work seems to be consistent in one very positive acknowledgment: compared to modern music and performers (not musicians) U2 is a musical giant that makes others look laughably puny in juxtaposition.

I visualize it as seeing a modern landscape of tiny, squeaky, tinny, computer-generated and synthetic lilliputians running for cover when U2 comes onstage. Even at their Super Bowl performance in 2002, the impression I got was "Get out of the way and let's watch how a REAL band makes meaningful music." That's how it seemed to be acknowqledged in the days following: they are pros, and very few pros exist nowadays.

They can't be compared. They can be appreciated, and they are.

A cheesy analogy or is it a metaphor-

For me I got into U2 in the summer of 1987 when I was 12 in large part because JT songs were all over thew radio. (My parents were older than someof my friends moms and dads and I had no siblings to steal albums from) Anyway I think U2 is sort of like a train it has been going for awhile you can get on at any point and still pass from one car to another and see where the train came from. (Okay this sis sounding way pretentious and not well articulated)

I was thrilled to see 11-17 year olds get into ATYCLB and see the Elevation tour in some cases with their parents. Is it better for someone to come late than not at all?

EmilyBono said:
I think U2 will always have that fan base, because some people just innately enjoy most of their music.

Wooorddd to yer mother!

Boy= fresh young raw energy--punk passion, with actual talent ;)
War= SBS, political awareness, loud guitar, did I mention SBS, Bono's on a mission
October= a lovely starkness, a new maturity
Jtree= god, where do I start? Rock and roll doesn't come any better--such purity, and when I say that I don't mean pure as in "nice, wholesome" I mean I feel in this album like there are no barriers between me and the band
AB--another "duh"-- every damn song it brilliant, one of rock history's few successful reinventions which made it startling, dark and thrilling, creative, wild, pinpointing some kind of energy of the new Europe (I can't explain exactly what I mean by that), sexy beyond sexy, intelligent, I could go on....
Pop/Zootopia-- I agree with Larry here that esp. Zootopia could have been better if it had "cooked" longer--some real gems here though, and I can really feel Bono's...what....spiritual anguish? Fear? Ego? Rebellion? I love Gone, Staring at the Sun, Wake up Dead Man, Stay, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, there is some really amazing songcraft here, and I love Bono and the boys for still experimenting and pushing themselves after such success before

All that--Being more of a fan of Jtree/AB and before than the "newer" stuff, I loved this one as a return to form, some beautiful melodies, and like the sense I get from this of a group of mature men having resolved some of the AB/Zoopop issues and come out on the other side from a long dark tunnel, I almost feel like I'm listening to a father figure on this one, I love esp. Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World and In a Little While, not to mention that what they did with the 9//11 tour was amazing

Anyway, for whatever that's worth. ;) I like 'em all in one way or another. :bono: + :edge: + :adam: + :larry: = :up:

Cheryl

TiaraGurl said:
A cheesy analogy or is it a metaphor-
Anyway I think U2 is sort of like a train it has been going for awhile you can get on at any point and still pass from one car to another and see where the train came from. (Okay this sis sounding way pretentious and not well articulated)

On the contrary, I think this is a good analogy. Most of the people I work with are younger than me but they still have nothing but good thing to say about U2. Even if they aren't into them as much as I am, they still have a tremendous respect for the music. Which is a good thing since I play them every day and sometimes all day long. Been really into the UF cd lately. :up:

Last edited:
I think most people have a tremendous amount of respect for u2 and I do not agree with some of you here saying that u2s best days were the JT or AB era!Beautiful Day and Walk On are amazing songs as is the whole "All That" album.Bono is at his best as a writer and the band sounds tigher than ever musically!!!!!!!

I only read a few of the posts here, so forgive me if any of this has been said.... I am Australian, and in my experience, Australians like "rock music", although R&B, rap and pop are still popular.
U2 has a large fan base in Australia, my local radio station would play U2 AT LEAST once a day, and any time of listener requests always yeilds at least one U2 song. Interestingly, I will hear a song like New Year's Day or SBS played as often as Walk On or WOWY. I think this is due to the fact that a very popular alternative radio station (JJJ) played U2 since Boy came out. LOADS of young people listen to Triple J and I think they have always encouraged a younger fan base. To the point where Bono gave them an interview on the PopMart tour when other bigger radio stations missed out.
Now, where is this all going?
U2 did not even bother to come here for the Elevation tour, and to add salt to the wound, said the reason was money.(Uh-oh...for obvious reasons!) The Edge has freely admitted this in interviews. Take into account that Pop tickets were almost $100 each on the last tour, and attendance was high. We felt more than a little slighted!!!
I still love U2 and will attend as many concerts as I can if they ever tour here again. No offence to anyone, but it does seem at times as though U2 feel the American market is the only market that is important to them.
:(

Seems to me that U2 is more popular than I ever think they are... I just mention U2 to total strangers, or overhear them on the jukebox in a bar and people of all ages and backgrounds perk their ears right up... still kinda amazes me.

Y'all folks are talking about how these days, U2 has to 'compete' with Britney, hip hop, etc ad nauseum... hate to say this, but it's ALWAYS been like that... U2 has always had to share air time with here-today, gone-tomorrow artists, and critics and fans alike have talked about U2 as if they've already got one foot in the grave... then a new album comes out and those words of doubt are forgotten...

I remember after Unforgettable Fire, the three long years before a new studio release and everyone was wondering if U2 were just going to do a few benefit shows and drop off the Earth like every other early '80's act... then "The Joshua Tree" really whanged everyone upside the head and U2 were glorious again... then.. where did they go? Eh, they're resting on their laurels, they've reached their peak... Oh my, here comes "Acthung Baby!" and the glory continued... etc...

Maybe if U2 put out a crap album every year, with maybe ONE decent song for airplay, things would be different... maybe if they put out music that was easily stuck into ONE neat little category, things would be different... maybe if U2 would just put their heads down and act like the good little rock stars they are and retire, things would be different... but hell, they've got to do things THEIR way on THEIR schedule.. and they just GOT to keep coming back and mixin' it all up again...

and I GOT to stop rambling...

}:)~

goat

rivergoat said:
Seems to me that U2 is more popular than I ever think they are... I just mention U2 to total strangers, or overhear them on the jukebox in a bar and people of all ages and backgrounds perk their ears right up... still kinda amazes me.

Y'all folks are talking about how these days, U2 has to 'compete' with Britney, hip hop, etc ad nauseum... hate to say this, but it's ALWAYS been like that... U2 has always had to share air time with here-today, gone-tomorrow artists, and critics and fans alike have talked about U2 as if they've already got one foot in the grave... then a new album comes out and those words of doubt are forgotten...

I remember after Unforgettable Fire, the three long years before a new studio release and everyone was wondering if U2 were just going to do a few benefit shows and drop off the Earth like every other early '80's act... then "The Joshua Tree" really whanged everyone upside the head and U2 were glorious again... then.. where did they go? Eh, they're resting on their laurels, they've reached their peak... Oh my, here comes "Acthung Baby!" and the glory continued... etc...

Maybe if U2 put out a crap album every year, with maybe ONE decent song for airplay, things would be different... maybe if they put out music that was easily stuck into ONE neat little category, things would be different... maybe if U2 would just put their heads down and act like the good little rock stars they are and retire, things would be different... but hell, they've got to do things THEIR way on THEIR schedule.. and they just GOT to keep coming back and mixin' it all up again...

and I GOT to stop rambling...

}:)~

goat

No need to stop. Very well put. :).

Angela

The_acrobat said:
Lately I've been subjected to a lot of negativity towards U2. Friends are telling me that U2 is over-rated, and that Edge's guitar playing is boring, and Bono is the most pretentious asshole the world has ever seen. My own girlfriend hates Bono, because she thinks he's full of himself. If she would only see his good, humble side, she'd probably love him.

I went to the ROck'n'roll hall of fame on Saturday. The U2 exhibit is amazing. To those who haven't gone yet.....go. It is the current Mecca for all U2 fans...until the exhibit is over. I met a lot of big U2 fans. But there was a group of teenage boys who said "are the top 2 floors nothing but U2? Well, nevermind." And they preceded to walk downstairs towards the exit. Another kid was being drug around the U2 section with his mother, and he said "God, U2 is the worst band I've ever heard. Why would they even put anything of theirs in this building."

But the worst thing is that I have this friend who has been a U2 fan as long as I have. We practically grew up on them. Now, he's went off to college, and nobody in his dorm likes U2. Now suddenly, he is saying how they're not that great, and likes younger, trendier bands.

So are they as popular as we think they are? Lately I've just been getting a bad vibe. I don't know if it means anything or not. Sometimes I just think "man, am I the only one who gets this band?" I fear how their next tour will do in terms of attendance and ticket sales. I don't know if stadiums are the way to go anymore, at least in America. Not just for U2, but really for any artist. Somehow, I fear that a huge public backlash is in store for U2. Can anyone else comment on this matter?

U2 are popular, no question. But they are also infamous among the high-brow elitist music lovers who like Dream Theather and the Flaming Lips and those kinds of bands. They view U2 and talentless (because Bono really doesn't have Josh Groban-like vocal range) and overrated (because Larry doesn't drum like Neil Peart, and Edge doesn't do a hundred solos a minute). There are people in this world who cannot appreciate the economical simple U2 music, and they also cannot quite grasp the meaning of the more profound lyrics of Bono. However, these same people like the Joshua Tree and nothing else. To each his own I guess. I think Radiohead are overrated and talentless, but a few might disagree with me. So I'm really not surprised when people have such low opinions of U2.

Cheers,

J

Yeah, my brother hates U2, but i suspect that that's b/c I like them. I'm not "cool" in his eyes, so what i like can't be "cool". (Also, the Edge's minimalist guitar-playing is just not his style, i guess.)
Interesting that i should stumble upon this thread soon after getting mad at one site whose author hated U2, esp. Bono. They gave, as reasons to hate them, some of the reasons i LIKE them! Like, Christian influence in their lyrics; or "I Will FOllow" was about Bono's mom, etc. (This author said something like "It's a freaking MOTHER'S DAY CARD!" I was like, "Heck, yeah! So he loves his mom! I think it's sweet!")
basically this person thinks U2 are too popular, or too Christian, or whatever, to be "punk". I was thinking, "Who cares?! theres more important things in life than being 'punk' anyway!"

If someone doesn't like a band because the guys in it are not "young" anymore then that person deserves no respect from me and I will never consider his/hers opinion, cause that's the most ridiculous attitude anyone could have. I don't give a shit about those people. I see a lot of people of my age who doesn't like U2 mainly because all of they know about U2 are With Or Without You or Beautiful Day which are great songs but not all of what they are (I mean think about Sunday Bloody Sunday and all...) so they think U2 is just a pop band, not a real rock band, in some ways I can actually understand that stupid idea but I hate people that doesn?t know what they are talking about and that pisses me off a lot so that's why I'm really, really happy about this new album being a true rock n' roll album and I have a feeling that this one is going to change a lot of minds. I wear my U2 shirts with the same pride I use my Metallica and Ozzy shirts and some folks might get a little confused about me and shit and I couldn?t care less because that?s not a reason to judge people. A lot of people don't see U2 as a cool band anymore, I don't understand why cause I really think that they are very cool and I also don?t understand why today?s youth thinks that when someone gets older apparently they?re not consider cool anymore, that?s just dumb. A lot of my heroes are over 40. But U2 being cool in my eyes is not the reason why I listen to them or any other band. What calms me down when I'm on a sea of people that doesn?t like U2 is that 99% of them never really tried to listen to more of their music rather than just the singles and shit and never tried to understand why they are so big (cause they still are and ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour was a big proof), I always try to know more about a band just to be sure if I don't really like them and why I don't like them. So I?m really excited about this next album, hopefully the first single will be an upbeat rocker with a kick ass riff displaying Edge?s talent as a man who can do a lot with very little! And Bono will forever be burned as an arrogant guy cause that?s the type a roll even he plays, it?s an old rock n? roll clich? that people don?t seem to get anymore mainly because we don?t have any great younger rock n? roll stars that are just as good as Bono, Mick Jagger or Bruce Springsteen. So we are just going to have to live with those people with that attitude towards U2 and all I can do is tell them to fuck off.

:bono: + :edge: + :adam: + :larry: = BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Are U2 as popular as we think they are?

TheBrazilianFly said:
and I also don?t understand why today?s youth thinks that when someone gets older apparently they?re not consider cool anymore, that?s just dumb.

For what it's worth, I read an article in the USA Today the other day that talked about the fact that a lot of kids out there today are listening to more older music than they are the newer stuff-they complain that a lot of the stuff out today sounds so similar. Didn't specify U2 as one of the bands that the kids are listening to in the article, but still... So fear not, there's many kids who don't give a crap what the ages of the members of the bands they listen to are. :).

Angela

My 17 year old brother likes U2, when some of his friends found out I took him to see U2, they were saying how cool that was.
His favourite band is System of a Down, and he likes Linkin Park, but he knows that Linkin Park are big fans of U2, so that helps, don't rag too much on some of these new bands. Quite a few are U2 fans themselves.

My other brother (16), does say U2 is old, they suck, but he's one of those types, where if his older siblings like something, he'll say they suck. But he likes Stuck in a Moment, so I dunno, go figure.

I know of quite few young teenage fans at other U2 forums, not all young kids blindly follow trendy bands. I didn't even like teen pop when I was in high school, but at the time I didn't have any fave band, or fave genre, I listened to whatever. I got in U2 around 2000, and it's been great. Never cared much for the teen pop in the first place, but I "discovered" a band that appealed to me in a way none of the current stuff could.

I've always had this theory that U2 is factually good. There is no denying that they sound good.

It's just people like to bag BIG bands. A common idea of some people I've met is that being a Big Band means that you got a free ride to fame ( ala Australian Idol style) and that you are entirely commercialised.
With U2, this is certainly not the case, as we all know.

U2 are a band you need to learn to appreciate. And to appreciate this band you need to know them very well, and realise that MacPhisto's antics in ZOOTV are by no means arrogance, but pure sarastic ironic performance. A non-hardcore U2 fan wouldn't understand that, and would dismis it as self obsession.

Bono's quest to save the world is often bagged by people.
What can I say? Someone's gotta do it. Fat chance a politician is.
Bono is doing what he knows is best for the world.

Just because you like a band's music doesn't mean you understand a band. That's why U2 are often criticised for there different way to approaching the rock star life, because people just don't undertsand the band.

U2 are not as popular as we think and this is because we live in a world full of ignoramus's and egotisitic individuals.

Sad, but true.

U2 is not the biggest band in the world (although they seem to keep winning awards some 5 years after releasing an album) but they are the best. U2 is a soul band, and if you don't feel thier songs in your heart and your ears you won't understand what they are all about.
I'm glad some people are moving on, just one more ticket I will buy for thier next show!

Last edited:
Too right, Intedomine.

Mellyinsf, who's bigger than U2? None that I know of ...

Back
Top Bottom