All Music Guide review of Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa

Acrobat
Perhaps its been discussed before, but has anyone else noticed that All Music Guide (.com?) gave Pop 4 out of 5 stars when it was reviewed in their last Album Guide (2nd edition book) and now, 5 years later, give it only 2 1/2??? Yet they give the same review as they did back in 1998!!! It will always bug me how when Pop came out it was viewed very well critically, yet after the American public rejected it, the critics retracted their praise and proceeded to bash it. Wether or not anyone here personally like or dislikes the album is irrevivant (at least for the purpose of this thread...). I'm not trying to incite any debate over Pop's merits, rather trying to point out the ridicolus inconsistency of music critics in general. Anyway, here's is the review, (remember, it is the same in 1998 (4 stars) as it is now (2 1/2)... :banghead:

AMG Review of Pop...

No matter which way you look at it, Pop doesn't have the same shock of the new that Achtung Baby delivered on first listen. Less experimental and more song-oriented than Zooropa, Pop attempts to sell the glitzy rush of techno to an audience weaned on arena rock. And that audience includes U2 themselves. While they never sound like they don't believe in what they're doing, they still remove most of the radical elements of electronic dance, which is evident to anyone with just a passing knowledge of the Chemical Brothers and Underworld. To a new listener, Pop has flashes of surprise ? particularly on the rampaging "Mofo" ? but underneath the surface, U2 relies on anthemic rockers and ballads. "Discotheque" might be a little clumsy, but "Staring at the Sun" shimmers with synthesizers borrowed from Massive Attack and a Noel Gallagher chorus. Similarly, "Do You Feel Loved" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" fuse old-fashioned U2 dynamism with a keen sense of the cool eroticism that makes trip-hop so alluring. Problems arise when the group tries to go for conventional rock songs, some of which are symptomatic of the return of U2's crusade for salvation. Pop is inflected with the desire for a higher power to save the world from its jaded spiral of decay and immorality, which is why the group's embrace of dance music never seems joyous ? instead of providing an intoxicating rush of gloss and glamour, it functions as a backdrop for a plea of salvation. Achtung Baby also was a comment on the numbing isolation of modern culture, but it made sweeping statements through personal observations; Pop makes sweeping statements through sweeping observations. The difference is what makes Pop an easy record to admire, but a hard one to love. ? Stephen Thomas Erlewine

oh goody goody another let's fight over pop thread

Rolling Stone did the same thing...gave it 4 stars and then voted it one of the worst albums of the year.

Go Figure...They liked the album when they thought everyone else (read, the public) would. When not everyone else liked it, they decided not to like it either.

I find this more surprising than disappointing. Of course I don't like to see U2 bashed in the press, however, to me it seems very odd that critics would bow to the weight of public disapproval. After all, critics are normally the ones who love records that everyone else hates because they are so much smarter than the rest of us. I don't know. I know journalistic integrity has never really existed, but this really blows my mind.

Peace.

To tell the truth, that review above doesn't seem like it could have been a four star review. I think that most critics didn't care for Pop, but figured that the fans would love it to death, hence the good reviews at first. Once the public ignored it, they decided to give the album what they originally intended to.

As for the above review, I have basically the opposite opinion of the reviewer. Songs like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress", "Do You Feel Loved" and "Mofo" are mistakes in my mind. Meanwhile, the album definitely deserves higher than **1/2 out of *****. Personally, I would give it ***1/2.

Back
Top Bottom