Album trajectory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
This is just for fun and probably impossible to tell, but...

Assuming the pattern of three album trilogies that U2 seems to follow.

Look at what U2 did with ATYCLB, then look at where they are now with HTDAAB...

If they continue in this same artistic direction, where does that put them artistically, with the next album.

Discuss.

(does this make sense?)

It'll probably be a little more rocking is my guess. To me the ATYCLB is deeply personal, while HTDAAB is moderately personal. I have a feeling it'll be more political. Hopefully subtly political like Bullet The Blue Sky type and not Crumbs type.

i think that U2 weren't satisfied with ATYCLB...too soft with tunes drowned by a massive production so they called Chris Thomas.
Then probably they felt that it was too "rocking" and they called Eno...and Lilliwhite as an Eno's antidote to avoid the risk of another ATYCLB with great tunes ruined by an exagerate production (listen to Walk on in the Nigel Goodrich version and to Stuck acoustic and tell me if Eno didn't kill those songs on ATYCLB). Probably they realized that Eno is useful behind the mixer but needs someone to control him in order to achieve the best results.

Having said that in my opinion they should have kicked off Eno after ATYCLB (which i consider a boring album indeed) and i have the suspect that HTDAAB, that's truly a very good record, could have been even better if they had kept it simpler...but i've got no proof as the tour hasn't started yet so we can't say if it's gonna sound better live or not (and neither we have any alt mix to compare the album versions with).

Album Title:

U2 / Odd Pleasures of the Human Kind

Sounds like a great U2 album title:

See what you mean though with styles:

Boy/War -- Kidish
UF/RH -- Amazing
AB/POP -- Oddly Pleasing
ATYCLB/OPOTHK -- Adultish

SMB

I think it will be rockier than HTDAAB, which in turn was harder than ATYCLB..perhaps it wil be a LOT heavier, who knows..at this stage I'm either hoping for the most massively ambitious (creatively) album of their career, or the most guitar-rock orientated.

Hoodlem said:
This is just for fun and probably impossible to tell, but...

Assuming the pattern of three album trilogies that U2 seems to follow.

Look at what U2 did with ATYCLB, then look at where they are now with HTDAAB...

If they continue in this same artistic direction, where does that put them artistically, with the next album.

Discuss.

(does this make sense?)

This has already been discussed thoroughly in this thread, which also contains my predictions in album artistic direction:

http://forum.interference.com/t108932.html

Cheers,

J

It's interesting that people slag off against Eno for ATYCLB when he was involved in all albums back to UF.

The problem wasn't with Eno on ATYCLB, it was with Lanois.

Lanois likes that brassy softly cured pop sound.

Eno likes to fuck things up, lets get real here.

Back
Top Bottom