**Album Release Date**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DigitalLove

Babyface
Somewhere just south of insanity, otherwise known
I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, but here goes anyhow.....

The new issue of Q magazine is suggesting the new album will be released in March (which is no big secret, as thats been speculated in the press a few times). If it is released in March, and they plan to take it on tour straight away, does anyone else see a catastrophe waiting to happen like what happened with the first leg of POP?? Not much time to rehearse etc etc??

We all know the band always kick off in America, and I can't really see that changing this time, but I can't imagine them waiting a couple of months to rehearse and then take the album on tour.... That means they are going to end up in Europe in the Autumn/Winter months, and our climate just doesn't bode particularly well for stadium tours then (again, if the press are to be believed)

Anyhow, I just wondered what everyone elses thoughts are on this??

Cheers!

im not sure about the march date(my birthday)
no single news nothing nada.

lets see if we get any news before new years day.

but then bono is going to africa, america,uk, etc. data work so i thing the vocals are done(good news)

mixing should be done by now.

god only know what the F they are doing.

they know what happened with pop and popmart... they won't do that mistake again. so if they are setting up for a march release and a tour to follow shortly after... i think they'll be plenty rehearsed... i.e. they album's already done or close to done and they're starting their rehersal already... i dunno... i'm just sure they won't make the same stupid mistake they did with pop

I agree :yes: and hope that they do take plenty of time to rehearse the new songs.
I couldn't give a flying rat's ass about 'special fx and props' I just want them to know how to play the songs when they hit the road!!!
All the rehearsal time and pre tour for Elevation was a big big plus in my book. Not just for the new songs but it also helped with older songs too.

U2 is best when as they say, they are just 4 guys playing together. I hope they never ever forget that ! :love:

I do understand though that for a Stadium you have to have something for the peeps in the way back to see, and that is all fine and good but please know how to play your own songs. :bow:

I'm sure if they will indeed tour in March they'll rehearse early enough.

Joe O'Herlihy said that the tour will start either in May (2 months is probably plenty of time to rehearse everything) or September 2004 if the album gets out later.

Oh I wish I hadnt even read 'Q' magazine this morning now!!! I'm sure a 30 year old isn't supposed to get this giddy over an album and tour whos dates haven't even been announced yet!!!

I agree about the POP fiasco though.... They spent way too much time trying to work through all the technical stuff that was happening and didn't concentrate enough on what they were playing! I can't complain though... I got to see them a couple of times on the European Leg and by that time it was pretty good! I also agree about people at the back needing something to see.... I was stuck RIGHT at the back at Roundhay Park (a long story which involves too much beer, trying to run too fast to get to the front, and a weeks stay in hosptial with a pretty badly broken arm.... but hey, when people start to brag about band memorabila..... I can also say I have a metal plate in my arm due to U2...... not many people can lay claim to that!!! lolol)

quote from atu2 (out of an interview for the Chicago Sun Times:

A year from now, U2 will be on the road in the middle of a tour
supporting their new album -- the other project, in addition to
saving Africa, that has occupied Bono's time this past year.

"I'd like to be on tour when the election's going on. It's a hell of
a loud hailer to have, and, although we'll try not to get involved,"
he said, grinning, "in case anything should happen along the way,
you know, on our issues, we'll be there."

good news isn`t it?:drool:

i am desperate for big honkin' multimedia spectacular... yeah elevation was great... but i want something that'll put all other tours to shame. give me lemons, give me video screens, give me macphisto, give me everything... give me a tour that'll put popmart and zootv combined to shame... build it, and i shall come

My two cents- Q magazine *may* have had this news before the deadline for this issue whoch may have been a month or two ago.

Unlike Pop, this new album has been in the works for years. Pop was a hurried, rushed album. U2 did not plan Pop or the Popmart Tour very well. Also Pop was a more "device" flavored album, with a lot of loops, keyboards and other electronics thrown into it. Take that and the fact that U2 tried to "out do" Zoo TV and you have a nice recipe for disaster (well at least the first few shows). This album is more "organic" in nature (at least that's what Bono says) and probably won't be that difficult to rehearse and learn. I don't see any problem with an April, May tour start.

POP came out in mid-March 1997

POP came out in mid-March '97.

Discotheque didn't appear on MTV or radio until mid-January. I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time on my 22nd birthday, which was the 17th. The album followed almost exactly 2 months later.

Probably more realistic to expect a late March early April release, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it comes out before then.

If we don't know the name of the first single by Christmas, then it's likely we may be looking at April for sure.

Anyhow, I think this article is just a rehash.

Re: POP came out in mid-March 1997

U2DMfan said:
POP came out in mid-March '97.

Discotheque didn't appear on MTV or radio until mid-January. I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time on my 22nd birthday, which was the 17th. The album followed almost exactly 2 months later.

Oh I do hope this time I hear the first single for the first time on the 17th, seeing that's my birthday as well. Hmm ... people here have hoped for news on their birthday and gotten none, but now we have two people with the same birthday - it's the date!

Everyone, write it down in your calendars. Something great and U2-related will happen on or around 17 January.

well if they plan ahead, and the albums is released in march...
they can do some rehursing though january and feb...release the album early/mid march
start tour in late aprill early may
I think we will know in about a month and a little bits time

True, Pop came out in March 97'...and we heard Discotech in
Jan, but we also knew a large portion of the song titles/info by Oct.- Nov. 96'.
I think if the vox were complete, and mixing...as earlier mentioned,
then all that would remain is the final mastering process, and then the pressing.
In which case we would for sure be seeing promo's and song titles, etc... by now.
I could be wrong, but it just seems like everyone banking on a fall release has got it right...And Bono doesn't seem like he would just finish his tracks, and then be off on the DATA front, to leave the mixing sessions behind, especially with fresh production at the helm of this record.
AND...
Wasn't ATYCLB finished AFTER Bono's big push for the initial Jubilee thing???

TiaraGurl said:
Technically it is still fall until 12/20

Since when? Last I checked, in the Northern Hemisphere, winter began on 1 December, and summer began on the same date down here in the Southern Hemisphere. You're not going to tell me they're teaching us wrong at school.

they're teaching you wrong in school... and they're taching tiara wrong too, but at least she was close... first full day of winter is december 22nd

Mon., Dec. 22, 2003, marks the solstice?the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and summer in the Southern Hemisphere

by Ann-Marie Imbornoni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The precise moment of the 2003 solstice will be December 22, 2003 at 2:04 A.M. EST (7:04 UT).
In astronomy, the solstice is either of the two times a year when the Sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator, the great circle on the celestial sphere that is on the same plane as the earth's equator. In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs either December 21 or 22, when the sun shines directly over the tropic of Capricorn; the summer solstice occurs either June 21 or 22, when the sun shines directly over the tropic of Cancer. In the Southern Hemisphere, the winter and summer solstices are reversed.

Reason for the Seasons

The reason for the different seasons at opposite times of the year in the two hemispheres is that while the earth rotates about the sun, it also spins on its axis, which is tilted some 23.5 degrees towards the plane of its rotation. Because of this tilt, the Northern Hemisphere receives less direct sunlight (creating winter) while the Southern Hemisphere receives more direct sunlight (creating summer). As the Earth continues its orbit the hemisphere that is angled closest to the sun changes and the seasons are reversed.

Longest Night of the Year

RELATED LINKS
Astronomical Calendar: Dec. 2003

Seasons of the Northern Hemisphere, 2003

Seasons of the Northern Hemisphere, 2004

Sky and Telescope

U.S. Naval Observatory

The winter solstice marks the shortest day and the longest night of the year. The sun appears at its lowest point in the sky, and its noontime elevation appears to be the same for several days before and after the solstice. Hence the origin of the word solstice, which comes from Latin solstitium, from sol, "sun" and -stitium, "a stoppage." Following the winter solstice, the days begin to grow longer and the nights shorter.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they're teaching you wrong in school... and they're taching tiara wrong too, but at least she was close... first full day of winter is december 22nd

Thank You Headache my fellow NYer for coming to my rescue The 21st was my best guess as I did not have a calendar when i posted.

ANYWAY this is a topic about an album not weather climates.

I hope we hear something soon. Oh and do you love how I adhered to my personal policy of avoiding topics like this because they were making me :coocoo:

Yeah I have the willpower of an ant...

did you know an ant can lift up to 50 times its own weight?

i wish i had that kind of will power

Back
Top Bottom