ABOY (live) question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sboow

Babyface
In the Brooklyn Bridge performance of ABOY, at times there are two simultaneous guitar parts: a high-pitched lead guitar riff and an underlying rhythym riff. Is Bono playing along with the Edge, or is some of the guitar being sampled?

You can see the second guitarist standing up behind Edge behind the big stage speakers during All Because of You. It is my assumption therefore that since Edge is playing the chord progressions, the other guitarist (possibly Dallas?) is playing the delayed tablature in the background.

man, I must've said this in like 45 other threads by now;
most likely they were playing to a CD of backing tracks, rather than dallas playing it. and as headache said, he wasn't playing anyway.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i was standing right in front of the edge @ the brooklyn performance... if dallas was playing the second guitar part, then he must be one talented mothafucka, 'cause he wasn't holding a guitar.

:lol:

I was there too you're right but I will check it out later on the dvd!

WHYWHY said:
You can see the second guitarist standing up behind Edge behind the big stage speakers during All Because of You. It is my assumption therefore that since Edge is playing the chord progressions, the other guitarist (possibly Dallas?) is playing the delayed tablature in the background.

It's not the first time someone says something like that. Some people think Dallas plays guitar on the shows cause they see him standing with a guitar, he was probably just tuning Edge's next guitar. :up: There are many other songs where U2 uses a prerecorded instrument in some specific moments.

Bono could play the riff during the chorus and Edge play the lead thing but I guess either Bono doesn't want to play guitar on that song or Edge really wants to play that riff. I can't blame him if that's the reason. :p

What sense does it make to have someone standing off stage playing "live"?

Answer: It doesn't.

It's a recorded backing track. They all are. The organs and strings, backing tracks. Why risk playing it when you can tape it? Doesnt make sense to do otherwise. That's all. :)

There are some U2 songs (Streets for example) that obviously require the use of a synth backing track when being played live. Howver, I think that U2 could do without the backing tracks that they use in some of their other live songs (eg Mysterious Ways) where I would prefer that they go just with the guitar-bass-drums. I suppose they are going for a fuller sound with the use of the backing tracks, but they are such a great live band that I think they could go without.

Back
Top Bottom