WCF - Ducks vs Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon Meringue said:

Plus they have their anamitronic goalie who created in some back lot at Disney. :shifty:

PS- to be a number one goalie for Anaheim, your last name has to rhyme with Bear...

Giguere
Hebert
Voltaire
Deathbear

See, it's a conspiracy I tells ya.

so...anyone up for watching that great Minnesota movie "Mighty Ducks"??? ahem. yeah. *cough* I thought not.

seriously tho, those Wild can come from behind. come on boys!

i told my mom he's my boyfriend, and made her look when he was on tv

Lemon Meringue said:
If you don't score goals, you will not win.

:hmm: i'll forward the message to my boyfriend when he calls tonight.

:love: 55 :love:

zonelistener said:

Dynasties are BORING!

Who wants to see the same teams win year after year? Aren't you tired of the Lakers and Yankees? I am.

I am also glad that Dallas, Colorado and Detroit are not in it - and, despite growing up less than ten miles from Continental Airlines Arena, I hope New Jersey doesn't get pass Ottawa.

As I have seen with the Minnesota Vikings, you cannot have offense alone. You need to build your team from the back to the front (defense to offense). Sure, the Oilers had the great one, but I also remember a solid defense behind him. And if you look at all of the high paid offensive powers in the NHL right now - where are they? GOLFING!

The Wild's offense will come around (as Gaborik and the other youngsters mature) - in the meantime - defense!

Dynasties are boring? The Edmonton Oilers of the 80s were boring? They were amazing to watch. If you want to see amazing goal after amazing goal, watch some of the old tapes! You and Chizip didn't get my point though. What I meant by not being boring is offensive creativity - not as in the same team winning all the time. I simply meant that having great offense (as well as being sound defensively of course) is more important than having a great defense alone, which is what the Ducks and the Wild have. That style will never win them the Cup, unless they get unhuman goaltending (ie, Giggy). That's my basic point.

As far as building a great team, I don't think you necessarily need to start with the defense. Just ask any GM. Hasn't anyone here noticed that teams don't draft positionally, but rather by player? When a team selects a player in the draft, they look at the best player, regardless of position. The Oilers happened to build around Wayne Gretzky, and that's a big reason why they were so offensive. In their case, even the defense was built around the offense (ie, Paul Coffey who played much like a forward much of the time). Gretzky even used to kill penalties - do you know how many short handed goals they used to score as a result? It was so much more exciting. People say the trap wins hockey games - and maybe it does - but it's ruining the sport and sucking out the excitment and artistry of the skilled players who once made this game an art form the same way Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan did for basketball.

I am not sure if there is anything to say.

:shrug:

The black thing they choose to call a "puck" needs to hit the inside of the white cotton/polyester thing they choose to call a "net"

:shrug:

Anaheim is all they have been built up to be. Why did they finish seventh best in the west if they have dismantled Detroit, Dallas and now are dismantling a team that beat Colorado and Vancouver?

best part is.....I am not sure if Grifdawg has even visited this thread to read it. It contains no Canadian content anymore.

:lmao: :lol:

:hug:grifdawg:hug:

Michael -
If and when we get a chance to meet (next NHL season or at a U2 show in the future)...I owe you a cold. malted beverage, perferably made somewhere under the Queens rule in North America.

zonelistener said:

Anaheim is all they have been built up to be. Why did they finish seventh best in the west if they have dismantled Detroit, Dallas and now are dismantling a team that beat Colorado and Vancouver?
No, no, no, no!!! You're getting me all wrong again! I agree that you can win a lot of games with hardly any offence, so long as you have a great defence, but my point is that it sucks to watch (comparative to a balanced offensive attack), and it doesn't win Stanley Cups alone. You need something else to not only send the team over the hump into championship territory, but also to entertain. Don't you find great offence entertaining? I agree it needs to be backed up with a sound defence, but to only have a sound defence is to assure absolute destruction of the enjoyment of the sport, and rarely does it win the ultimate prize (again, alone).

As for Anaheim "dismantling" Minny, keep in mind they've only won 2 games - the same number of games Colorado and Vancouver were up on Minny in their respective series. Therefore, if the Ducks are dismantling Minny right now, you would have to concede that both Colorado and Vancouver did the same.

And yes, a nice cold, Canadian malt beverage is in order. Spring 1516 is great. Granville Island Pale Ale is *yum* as well.

was minny shut out the first 2 games against colorado and vancouver?

nope

so this is more of a dismantling

But now you contradict yourself. You said yourself that it doesn't matter who gets more shots, etc, nor how many total goals are scored. It only matters who scores more goals each game. You said if you win, you automatically have outplayed the other team, end of story. Therefore, it doesn't matter if they were shutout or lost 15-14. A win is a win, and a loss is a loss. Also, it's a 7 game series, so it really doesn't matter when you get them and when you lose them. If you're 2 games up in the middle of the series it is no different than being 2 games up at the beginning, being a 7 game series, no? :wink:

if you go back and check i said the only stat that counts is number of goals. so yes, goal differential is a stat that can be used to determine how much one team has outplayed the other.

but i agree it is a 7 game series and anything can happen, and one would be a fool to count out minny after the last 2 series. they play their best with their backs against the wall.

but so far, they have been dismantled.

We are Minnesotans - not the most positive bunch of fans (don't believe the signs you see saying "I believe" - They are lies.

We have been known to leave games early to beat the traffic - even when they are close. We have been known to chant "Superbowl, Superbowl..." minutes before a team came back and beat us in overtime to go to the Superbowl (Atlanta).

We've had two perfectly good franchises leave town due to greedy owners - and almost had another franchise taken away from us all together (due to lack of revenue and a new baseball stadium).

We've seen teams go to four superbowls, and lose each time. We have seen that same team trade awy YEARS of draft picks for a player that turned out to "just not work in the Minnesota system."

We have seen coaches take teams to the verge of a national championship - and have it all "erased" because of cheating scandals.

Sure, we have seen two world championshis from the Twins in the past *gasp* 16 years - but before that - we had only the Minneapolis (Yes, Minneapolis - do you really think they have an abundance of lakes in L.A.) Lakers to count on as a team as a world champion - in the 1950's.

We have seen miracles - but humble, hard-nosed Minnesotans don't believe. It just happens.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
if you go back and check i said the only stat that counts is number of goals. so yes, goal differential is a stat that can be used to determine how much one team has outplayed the other.
Ah, but the goal differential is a seperate issue from being shutout. a 1-0 win is still only a 1 goal win. A 2-0 win is only a 2 goal win. Since you said that's all you go by, shutouts are irrelevent, and therefore you're basically saying the Wild are dismantling them better the the Avs and Canucks did based on something that is irrelevent according to your previous statement. But, don't worry, Chizip. I forgive you. :wink:

michael michael michael. the ducks have not outscored minny by 10%, or 50%, or 100%, or 100000000%, but by infinity%!!!! That's dismantling.

to figure out percentage better take high team - low team/low team

so 15-14/14 = 7.1% better

1-0/0 = infinity% better

Back
Top Bottom