Tom Petty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
What y'all think of this fine young (old) man? I have a theory that pretty much everyone on the planet likes Tom Petty's music, even if they are the casualest of fans. Never came across a hater... are YOU a hater?

I heard someone say they were a hater once, because they didn't like his singing voice. Then I impressed upon them that if they hated his voice, they must also hate Bob Dylan's voice, and likewise, many other musical figures without perfect pipes - many of whom are tremendously influential. My point was, if they didn't like people because of their voice, they're missing out on some of the greatest music of our time, and can't possibly call themselves music fans.

Also: I :heart: Tom Petty. I only have 4 albums, though, but I can't justify spending my money when I've got school to worry about :slant:

Tom Petty is the man

Someone else with less than perfect pipes is Kurt Cobain and people worship him !

I had Wildflowers, Full Moon Fever, Last DJ, and the Greatest Hits... but today I saw Damn the Torpedos on sale for $5, and I couldn't say no. :D

I have a soft spot for Tom because I fell in love with the boy who took me to see him many many moons ago ... sigh.

I once went to a show way back in the 80's in Minniapolis (actually it was the St. Paul Civic Centre) where the lineup consisted of Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead. It was Tom Petty hands down - blew the rest off the stage.

I was pissed when they banned The Last DJ from radio play and nobody wanted to talk to him. Someone releases an album of consequence that everyone should be listening to and absorbing, and they brush it off like he's some no talent hack ungratefully biting the hand that feeds. Nevermind that the hand has been abusing the dog for decades now; not Tom in particular, but every artist within the industry, and those who are not because someone 'didn't like their sound' because it wasn't a guarunteed sell.

Fuck the man.

I've been a casual fan since I first the video for "You Got Lucky" when it first came out. I still remember the video clearly LOL. When I saw those cool futuristic cars I was pretty much like this --> :ohmy:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I was pissed when they banned The Last DJ from radio play and nobody wanted to talk to him. Someone releases an album of consequence that everyone should be listening to and absorbing, and they brush it off like he's some no talent hack ungratefully biting the hand that feeds. Nevermind that the hand has been abusing the dog for decades now; not Tom in particular, but every artist within the industry, and those who are not because someone 'didn't like their sound' because it wasn't a guarunteed sell.

Fuck the man.

A lot of stations didn't like hearing the truth, which sucks.

Thankfully, my dad had no problem playing his stuff on the radio. He was pretty happy to hear Tom sing about the stuff he did on that album :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom