The Star Wars Thread, Ep II: Blu or Blu Not, There is No Original Theatrical Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is my Page screwed up on the app or did z
Dazzled just post the same thing again?

no you are not.

i'm using someone elses signal and sometimes the page takes so long to appear/ or doesn't i make a copy and send again.

Sometimes it ends up being a single post because it really didn't go through. Othetimes it doubleposts,...but i can't tell that from when i start.
i go back and delete one!

All I was getting at, Dazzled, was Pixar has had some missteps as of late that are clear Disney cash grabs. Cars 2 being the worst offense.

Monsters University comes out later this year.

dazzledbylight said:
no you are not.

i'm using someone elses signal and sometimes the page takes so long to appear/ or doesn't i make a copy and send again.

Sometimes it ends up being a single post because it really didn't go through. Othetimes it doubleposts,...but i can't tell that from when i start.
i go back and delete one!

Ok. I had a weird signal malfunction on my phone while I was loading his Page, and I thought maybe something crazy happened.

dazzled: I just don't find the frame compositions in Jedi to be very interesting. Lucas didn't direct Empire either but Kirschner gave us a lot of iconic imagery.

Lucas has said before that he considers dialogue to be just one element of the soundtrack, secondary to the music and probably the sound design as well. These films are watched around the world, often not even in English. So ultimately, how good the line deliveries are isnt as important as the other things.
:hmm: interesting!

I know what a visual static (drawing, paint, photograph ) composition is....

So how is movie visual framing considered?
How much is considered to make a comparision? Everything major that appears in a set scene- sort of an overall average of a scene? Then each set scene of the whole movie, or the major set scence.They are "added up" so to speak to get a rating. And then compared to the scenes in another movie...in this case in the same universe.

i hope this makes sense so you can give me some guidelines.

(I'd say obviously harder to compare very different visual styles of different directors - actually to me simillar rto fans who try to compare JT to AB which is why i prefer a pantheon of he best vs a strict hierarchy when not obivous by statistics as in sports.... but i digress :) )

I never got the OT on dvd or vids... did not have either a Video or DVD player for a very long time.

but if every get it out of the library or a used copy i'd definately take a look to compare myself. :)

I agree with him in that the music and sound design are what made this resonate globally more so than the dialogue. Is it unimportant? No. But people act like it's an element that should be given greater or equal weight with this type of film, and that's foolish to me.

The dialog in the OT wasn't stellar (some great lines obviously), but it was decent. It didn't drag down the rest of the film, so music and sound could do their job. But the dialog in the prequels is dogshit. It doesn't even come close to the quality of the OT. If not for the originals, the prequels wouldn't be resonating anywhere. Once the words become detrimental to the audio, there's little great music and sound design can do to take your attention away from it.
I'm always a little surprised by how aggressively you defend the prequels. Not surprised when you do it, because we've had these convos enough to know it's coming and that's cool, but surprised that someone with an obvious knowledge of cinema defends to such an extent, a flawed and sometimes amateur set of movies. I've concluded it could only be one of two things:
a) Long ago you took it on as a challenge. To see how well you could use your understanding of the medium to defend it against others' criticism.
b)Many years ago, George Lucas saved your life. You owe him what you'd call a "life-debt". Your gods demand that your life belongs to him.

So how is movie visual framing considered?
How much is considered to make a comparision? Everything major that appears in a set scene- sort of an overall average of a scene? Then each set scene of the whole movie, or the major set scence.They are "added up" so to speak to get a rating. And then compared to the scenes in another movie...in this case in the same universe.

I think the easiest way to answer this is, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OK, release date discussion.

New Star Wars movie, release it in May, right?

Well, Avengers 2 is currently penciled in for May 2015. Not necessarily a problem, but.....now they're owned by the same company, and there's a 0.0% chance Disney would risk any cannibalization between the two films as far as theater screen or IMAX availability, or even trying to handle the simultaneous marketing for both. These are big properties that need undivided attention. I'm not an expert at this, but I wouldn't imagine the two films would be under 2 months from each other, so either Star Wars is coming out in March (?) or July.

Justice League is coming out in 2015 as well- classic summer flick, so that's probably what's going to keep Disney busy in competition.

How about November/December? December HAS been proven to be good for sci fi movies, as evidenced by Avatar.

Oh yeah, Avatar....when's that sequel coming out?

December 2015, Star Wars vs. Avatar 2. Boom.

Lucas: Not if anything to say about it I have!
[George Lucas force flings Robert Iger across the room and across his desk]

doing different things and my signal connection went down

I can't agree with you that Yoda is the only one with anything poignant to say in the prequels.

Not with the emperor's speech in rots, plus obiwan at the end of the film, and I'm also fond of Padme's reflection on the creation of the Empire (though I'm sure some will disagree with that one)

Qui-gon also had great hings to say in Phantom.

popped my SW 3 into DVD player to get more acurate dialouge...

ObiW to Ani from "then i've failed you(still in the lava river)...and the whole scene from " you were the chosen one..." that was moving tragic stuff (even if Hydens acting was mostly wooden through most of the 2 movies)

and Pademe's "so this is how liberty dies...." etc
i love that whole scene! There we see Padame still as a knowledgeable, thinking woman ... and not just as the now tragic romantic partner to Anika/and tragic mother-to-be though that is also sad and moving....

ah i just thought of.... oh no why fixing other typo forgot it! :lol: maybe later!

and great visual as after Sen Palpie reorganized the republic into "the first galatic empire" and ther's the backshot of him rasises his arms against a swath of the senate planet seats.

>semi-digression<< when we first see the senate chamsber and you see hnow many hundreds of worlds are there are... i get all misty-eyed -"what is really out there in our galaxy!?" Is there a good republic/federation/confederation and hpoefully :uhoh: not a terrible Empire...

Qui-gon had some good stuff in 1.

and 212 apologies i should have used the :ohmy: instead of the :eyebrow: emocon

i was surprised by your comments on later Pixar stuff

Lotta white dudes' names being thrown about as directors. Obviously there's some institutional haberdashery involved, as I can only think of Catherine Hardwicke as a female director given a genre title, and it'd be a tough sell for a studio to give a tentpole flick to someone's first time managing a hundred million dollar budget.

Katheryn Bigelow?

Still, at the very least it'd be nice to use this chance to introduce a few female characters with agency that aren't in the "damsel in distress" archetype.

edit- hah. Lana Wachowski!

dazzledbylight said:
i tend to agree with this.... why show (young)hayden when vader died in his middle age?

My argument for this is 2-fold

1) Lucas wanted he series to be the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. Since we spent the most time with Hayden Ani, seeing him makes most sense.

2) when he was a Jedi, he was a young man, for the most part as a grown man, he was a sith. If he became one with the light side of the force, it stands to reason he would s
Appear as he did when he was a Jedi.

I only recently finally saw that version of the ending, and it was the closing moments of watching all 6 movies with my husband (he seeing them for the first time), watching Anakin's story, that ending got me pretty emotinal.

As for the justice League movie, I feel like there is no way that movie is not going to be balls. The time and effort that went into the avengers is what made it so special, Imo. This justice League movie just screams cash grabs.

Wonder who will play batman. I assume whoever plays supes in this pointless reboot will claim that mantle.

This is interesting. I'm not super into the idea of an "episode 7" as it were, but whatever. Just think it could be a missed opportunity to set a new series in other expanded universe timelines and settings... even the old republic era, since that's still fairly relevant in the lucasarts/bioware games community and so forth.

I'd be down for a Wachowski Star Wars, personally. They certainly have a good grip on genre, spectacle, the sort of core archetypal storytelling Lucas also revels in, and large-scale digital filmmaking technique.

Well, I can't speak for Cloud Atlas yet, but the Matrix was distinctly hard-edged anime and manga inspired, and captured the tone of works like Ghost in the Shell and cyberpunk fiction pretty well. Which is generally cold and humorless. But then there's Speed Racer, which is overflowing with life and color. Star Wars would fall somewhere in between surely.

I think the easiest way to answer this is, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Now this deserves the :eyebrow: JT, or as Vader would say "i find your lack of thoughtfulness disturbing"
(well, "disturbing" is rather overboard )

We are just barely aquaintences since we infrequently see each other in the interesting science videos thread...and maybe some thread elsewhere.

You're not an on-line friend who knows enough about my good and bad points from a year or more of fequent posts/conversations here on Interland to make a "lovingly snarky point-something-out or make fun of/with" remark to me.

You may not know that I'm extra tired because on Sunday I had to make 3 trips quickly within 2-ish hrs early-mid afternoon in my neighborhood, on a not quite yet fully-flexible ankle gotten from a 3-fractures accident in the spring to get the rest of stuff i might need before the stores closed and Sandy hit NYC... so i screwed up part of my comments.

And... above all- I did add a caveat right after my questions/comments. :|

totallty unessary rather nasty post, JT

ETA
and when i'm morev awake in the next few days i will revise my questions/comments so they are ledgible.

Well, I can't speak for Cloud Atlas yet, but the Matrix was distinctly hard-edged anime and manga inspired, and captured the tone of works like Ghost in the Shell and cyberpunk fiction pretty well. Which is generally cold and humorless. But then there's Speed Racer, which is overflowing with life and color. Star Wars would fall somewhere in between surely.

interesting...not read enough Cyberpunk to know that

right, speedracer ( just saw the interview with the 3 of them in ...the past week's Village Voice.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

I actually have never seen an OT film because I saw the scene with that line. Not worth my time.

PF

your comment just touched off a memory and a question

is that the first time we hear the phrase "point of view" in the Pre-quels? or does Qui-gon first use it?

remember Ben uses it several times in the OT's

PF is ROTS the only SW film you saw?

i'd say you have to see ANH, in order to see ESB the best (in my POV :wink:) of them all .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom