The one American thing or pastime you find hard to get into...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I can't get into American Sports. I've tried but I just can't. :huh: Football is the only game I can 'somewhat' watch and follow without getting distracted. Everything else (be it baseball, basketball or hockey) bores me shitless! It may have a lot to do with the fact that I grew up watching Soccer (the real Football), Cricket and Tennis and have been living in the US for only about 6 years now!

Sports has become the one thing that I find the hardest to get into in this country! What about you guys?

Football

I find baseball horribly boring to watch but it's kind of fun to go out to a ball game.

Root beer.

Grits.

VertigoGal said:

yes I hate those. :angry:

should prescription drugs really be advertized all over the place? :der:

That said, I do find it amusing that the voiceover, in a perfectly conversational tone, will say something like 'could cause heart attack and liver failure'. Nice.

first off, apple pie is awesome :drool:

and before i get accused of hating all american sports, i have nothing against basketball and quite enjoy watching hockey (although the latter's canadian isn't it? )

anaway:

american football

baseball (this is supposed to be THE national pastime isn't it?)

american news people, especially the local ones. morons. :tsk:

driving on the right-hand side of the road :angry: (ok, it's not just an american thing)

the adverts on tv

the hummer

that's all i can think of

:D

It's gonna have to be more than one for me -- and I'm a native.

The typical US sports -- ugh. Can't stand 'em. Can't stand the slavish devotion so many have to them either.

SUVs -- hate 'em. And hate the people who think they "need" them. For the vast majority of these folks a mini van or a frickin' car would meet their needs just as well. Want is different than need. And when the owners of the very largest SUVs bitch about gas prices... :madspit: Morons.

Commercial radio. Most TV. Hell, most of the entertainment industry sucks.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, I'm a cranky old bitch. :)

the rockin edge said:
i have to pick just one thing? :uhoh:

:lol: no kidding, huh.

your footballers being padded up to the eyeballs..
peanut butter and jam????
your names for things like candy. it's odd.
your unique spelling. are youse all special or sumfin? :eyebrow:
your obssession with politics.
your obssession/enthusiasm with many things, actually. or maybe it is just me coming from The Land That Forgot To Give A Shit. :hmm:

And so on.
:hmm:

:wink:

Angela Harlem said:

peanut butter and jam????

I could never quite stomach that myself.

I just like peanut butter. And not great globs of it either.

Now they even have both peanut butter and jam in the same jar. :yuck:

indra said:

I could never quite stomach that myself.

I just like peanut butter. And not great globs of it either.

Now they even have both peanut butter and jam in the same jar. :yuck:

its called goober grape.....its been around since the 70's
your so blinded by your hate for yummy sauces you didnt notice !

i know what ya mean though....sometimes i cry when im making the guilty pleasure for myself on 12 grain bread......
o god...i say out loud....WHY GOD WHY?
GOD??????? shoudl I cut off my american hand....and eat it in the sandwich instead?
should I go run over some NFL players with my BIG OLE SUV
while im watching the news with the talking head that i taped last night
?

I just get into EVERYTHING that is bad about us GOD! PLEASE SAVE ME FROM MYSELF....

save me from my constant youse of bad lingo ...i want to be boring ! I dont like americans.....i want everyone else not to like them as well...

im going to piss my pants now god and marinate in my own hate.

.........have you guyses ever seen that commercial for the goutrage test? you can buy it in your grocer's freezer...
lets all march down main street with out upside down stars & stripes flag..................

come on.............we'll get our asses kicked but we'll seem cool

:madspit:

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - with Fritos....AND football, basketball, baseball and love apple pie (when mom makes them)

Hate SUVs though - why do people need those big gas hogs??? Most of American TV does suck - except CSI :wink:

Baseball (I'll follow, but I can't watch it)
Football
Lack of decent soccer
The new media and the're ridiculous stories.
The inequality of wealth distribution (it's getting out of hand)
Our sitcoms
The radio and the corporization of every goddamn thing that can turn a profit. I'm just waiting for Corporate lemonade stands....oh, wait, we got them too - Auntie Anne's.
The partisianship in politics.
Lobbying Industry.
W.
Cheney.
Rove.
Sno Caps, they make me ill.
Political Correctness.
the NBA. The Entire NBA.

Oh there's a good few alright!

I can't follow American football AT ALL ( Proper football is much more entertaining, even tho' i'm not a huge footie fan!)

American spellings :down: :tsk:

Some American versions of words like dypers(sp?) instead of nappies :der:

Obsession with eating lots of steak :huh:

Paying for having your life saved wtf? (We are so lucky in Britain to have the NHS even if it's not nearly perfect :happy: )

Root beer

But i do love apple pie! :wink: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom