The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland are another team that will forever play pretty amazing against the big boys but then against teams they should beat just fall away and die....

If we could get a more ruthless mentality against the smaller teams we often play against, seeing Ireland in the quarters would not be such a rare thing.

I'm a bit undecided at the moment though about who I will be supporting, probably Croatia or Serbia I like to see them do well.....oh I remember one match from Euro 2000, Serbia (or Yugoslavia then i think) against Spain...one of the greatest matches I've watched!

LJT said:
I may hang around in Bristol after exams just to watch England get trounced a couple of times:happy:

And before anybody says it...yes, I know Ireland didn't make it:wink:

I always knew the sweaty socks were a petty minded bunch of uncivilised savage in breds, but I thought the micks were a little bit better educated, just goes to show how wrong you can be, I think you'll be disappointed about England being "trounced" by anybody, you're gonna be so pissed off when Beckham lifts that trophy.

jimmmm said:

I always knew the sweaty socks were a petty minded bunch of uncivilised savage in breds, but I thought the micks were a little bit better educated, just goes to show how wrong you can be, I think you'll be disappointed about England being "trounced" by anybody, you're gonna be so pissed off when Beckham lifts that trophy.

I would have to get very pissed indeed just to be able to live through such an event if it ever did occur:p

Luckily I will probably be dead by the time it happens:happy:

(I hope you know mate I'm only messin around, just twas hard to detect whether your post was being sarcastic or not)

I wanted so much to go to a game:sad:

I missed Euro2004 here in Portugal and I'll always regret it. But I had a great time in front of the big screans that were all over the country... Me I my friends went to see every game! It was so cool... I miss it!:(

People look what I just read , and saw :

1930 URUGUAY (America 1 x 0 Europe)
1934 ITALY (America 1 x 1 Europe) * DRAW *
1938 ITALY (America 1 x 2 Europe)
1950 URUGUAY (America 2 x 2 Europe) * DRAW *
1954 GERMANY (America 2 x 3 Europe)
1958 BRAZIL (America 3 x 3 Europe) * DRAW *
1962 BRAZIL (America 4 x 3 Europe)
1966 ENGLAND (America 4 x 4 Europe) * DRAW *
1970 BRAZIL (America 5 x 4 Europe)
1974 GERMANY(America 5 x 5 Europe) * DRAW *
1978 ARGENTINA (America 6 x 5 Europe)
1982 ITALY (America 6 x 6 Europe) * DRAW *
1986 ARGENTINA (America 7 x 6 Europe)
1990 GERMANY (America 7 x 7 Europe) * DRAW *
1994 BRAZIL (America 8 x 7 Europe)
1998 FRANCE (America 8 x 8 Europe) * DRAW *
2002 BRAZIL (America 9 x 8 Europe)

So if a South-American team wins again , it will be the first that a continent has 2 point advantage .

So if a South-American team wins again , it will be the first that a continent has 2 point advantage . [/B][/QUOTE]

But that isn't going to happen, England will draw Europe level, no problem.

annie_vox said:
^^ That is if England doesn't meet Portugal on the way:wink: I'm just kidding...

... dam right u kidding lol.

England will kick ass and rooney has been seen working fine and riding a bike :wink: but who needs rooney when u got .................... owen hargreaves :(

Ok if you say so ....... then be it , England already won :wink: Just don't let other teams know this coz , your plans won't get so easy ......

Last edited:
roy keane said:
England will win World cup and Serbia will not let Argentina to go into second phase

i fancy serbia's chances , they a good outfit this time round.

Just hope u don't see a certain yellow shirt in your way , coz you know this ruined your plans more than once

J_NP said:

So if a South-American team wins again , it will be the first that a continent has 2 point advantage .

That's very very interesting :up: :up:

roy keane said:
England will win World cup and Serbia will not let Argentina to go into second phase

That is probably my worst nightmare.

Then I wake up.

And things are back to normal.

The most beautiful thing about the most important event (of any kind) of 2006 is that whilst so many think that Brazil are a shoo-in to win their 6th world cup, previous World Cups have produced shocks that a beyond human comprehension and prompt worldwide utter disbelief.

Who could forget Cameroon over Argentina in 1990, Senegal over France in 2002, USA over England in 1950? Or what about North Korea's miracle run in 1966 and South Korea's semi-final berth in 2002? What about the surprise packets of Croatia in 98 and Bulgaria in 94?

In all likelihood, there'll almost certainly be surprises on a similar scale in this year's tournament. Many of us are still struggling to come to terms with Greece's miraculous, but deserved, Euro 2004 win.

And it's good to see the Aussies there for the first time in 32 years. The group is tough but progression is a real possibility. We match up evenly with both Croatia and Japan, and both of these contests will be anyone's game, and it is not too ludicrous to rule out defeating Brazil. After all, anything can happen in the World Cup. We did so in th 2001 Confederations Cup, and whilst the Brazilian team was far from it's strongest, ours was missing numerous key players too. We are struggling with injuries however.

It's unfortunate for the Ivory Coast and Ghana to be drawn into the two hardest groups. Progression is possible, but unlikely for both African nations, who play enterprising and exciting football. Both teams are unlucky not to have reached the World Cup Finals before, as theyhave always been amongst Africa's strongest footballing nations.

Portugal, quite surprisingly, are a dark horse. They have a reasonably easy group (Mexico, Iran, former colony Angola), and some stars such as Maniche and Deco who are both as versatile as they are exciting to watch.

I've never really rated England at football, and along with Brazil, they are one of only two teams I would not want to win the World Cup. Australia (or at least the media), seems to be under some mediated impression that we should support England in football, even though it's ok to have a fierce rivalry with the Poms in cricket and rugby. England are nothing remarkable, and for the media to perpetuate the outdated colonial relationship between England is Australia is sadistic.

I don't want Brazil to win, and would love dearly to see them lose all 3 group games. Not so much that I have anything against the players or the nation in general, it's just if Brazil were to win the 06 World Cup, it would be their 6th, and create an illusion that they are somehow invincible and dominant. It would give them 3 more World Cup's than Italy and Germany, and it would be a statistical dominance that would be unhealthy for the beautiful game.

Should be a cracking tournament however, even if the luck of the draw threw up a few bland-ish and unfortunate groupings, and it will be hard for most of the world's population to tear themselves away from the most important world event since the 2002 world cup.

Go Aussies!

J_NP said:

2006 ITALY (America 9 x 9 Europe) *Draw*

:wink:

Ok , tomorrow is the day to meet the last of the characters of the cup , other lists are already released around the world ?

Last edited:
intedomine said:

I don't want Brazil to win, and would love dearly to see them lose all 3 group games.

I know u said u didn't have anything gainst brazil , but still this line makes me wonder , what brazilian did you that was so bad ? or to your country ? I don't think even an argentinian would sound so like .... this , and believe me in football arg and braz , its like .....

I know that there's a really and strong anti-brazil feeling in football and all , specially with this cup , but this is just too much , it sounds like personal . and This thing of if Brazil wins 3 in advantage to Italy and Ger , which is unhealthy thats ridiculous , Its a merit again for Brazil , coz they are playing beautifully and deserved it . Dont u see how Ronaldinho is playing ? How u say that if a guy like him wins is unhealthy ? It's an encouragement for everyone to play like that to win , not like a player who plays unfair , is violent and all .

intedomine said:
The most beautiful thing about the most important ev......

Go Aussies!
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
would it annoy you as much if ENGLAND won the world cup, as it must have done when we whupped you in the Ashes

Domenech prefers Malouda, in my biased opinion Rothen is better but it's not a scandal.

For Giuly, it is a big scandal, he is a good player, a good camarad, he never complains, he is playing his second Champions League final but Domenech doesn't like him. Why ? I don't know.

Pirès won't go to the World Cup too, he had an affair with Domenech's girlfriend :lol:

J_NP said:

I know that there's a really and strong anti-brazil feeling in football.

This sounds me new! Everyone in the world gets eyes and wonder on Brazil, and all the biggest team have at least one brazilian striker. I wouldn't call it anti-Brazil feeling, it's too much, exaggerated. I would say it's the usual feeling when you like to see the stronger lose, and it has a general reach. You wonder when Real Madrid loses against Malaga, when Milan loses against Reggina, when Manchester loses against Sunderland and so on. If there is someone who is anti-Brazilian, then he's anti-football.
Today, Brazil=football

Italy won its last WC in 1982... one year before I was born.. :drool:
I just hope my team can give the best it can this year!!!

If the French manager plays his cards right then he should bring on Zidane as a substitute in each match, that what i would do if i were him :shh:

he'd have a bigger impact on the match then i think

Do you think so? I believe as long as you have a certain guy called Zinedine Zidane you HAVE to put him in the field 91 minutes of 90. Even when the referee has blown the final whistle Zidane should stay other 3 minutes on the field
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom