the flaming lips. in a radiohead forum. in a u2 forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
damn. the latest flaming lips album, "yoshimi battles the pink robots" (or something to that degree) made me want to throw a brick after i listened to it. i hadn't felt so impressed by an album since the first time i heard "zooropa" at 16.

needless to say, it has some "kid a"-esque tones to it, so i think a lot of you would like it. so if you haven't picked up this album, go now!!!!!!!!1111111 :mad:

melon

fuck you!!!

I've been thinking of buying that for that past week and now my fate is sealed

oh, farewell sweet money...it's been nice

t y

it was easy

p s

there is supposed to be an mp3 thru ateaseweb.com, but that site is still having problems since salome and sie edge hacked it, but i'm not in a big rush to hear it

y

what is the point in doing something like that? I never understood, it's not like it was some huge corporation's website who had fired them or made their lives miserable, why hack a fan website?

zooropamanda said:
secrets

hey melon, where are the flaming lips from?

They're American. I think from Oklahoma, to be more specific.

Melon

First I listened to it on their website (Thanks AcrobatMan for the heads up on that one) and I liked what I heard so I bought it today. Thank you melon for another excellent recommendation. If you were that impressed by it, I knew it had to be good.

God I love this band. I want to get their previous album before Yoshimi--"The Soft Bulletin."

As soon as I get a job and a paycheck...

Melon

I've heard only rave reviews about this band from several friends whose musical taste I trust. I gotta check them out.

Good timing, I just got "Yoshimi" in the mail today. GREAT album. I love the whole tone/feeling of the album. Good mellow stuff.

Oddly, I ordered Soft Bulletin with it, but that didnt show up, just this. Wonder if BMG sends their cd's separetly now.

The Flaming Lips are from the Norman/OKC area of Oklahoma. Chris Martin was pretty excited about it and kept mentioning it when Coldplay was in town.

I must ask: Is it fair to judge the Flaming Lips by "She Don't Use Jelly" and the Yoshimi title track? I don't like either one of those songs, but everyone raves about this band. Any thoughts?

I don't think "She don't Use Jelly" is a good representation.

They were in town here last week. I, unfortunately, was not. :(

I wish I could have seen them with Beck - especially with the whole Costume Charachter thing they had going on! :sexywink:

HeartlandGirl said:

I must ask: Is it fair to judge the Flaming Lips by "She Don't Use Jelly" and the Yoshimi title track? I don't like either one of those songs, but everyone raves about this band. Any thoughts?

I haven't heard the jelly song but I think it's one of those records that has to be listened to in its entirety. It's the whole package, the flow, the themes, the earnest sincerity of the lyrics and vocals, that make it so interesting.

yeah. they have a feel to their songs, but from song to song is quite different. listen to the other songs on the album, particuarly fight test (which uses the meody from father and son by cat stevens), i bet the title track will grow on you.

HeartlandGirl said:
The Flaming Lips are from the Norman/OKC area of Oklahoma. Chris Martin was pretty excited about it and kept mentioning it when Coldplay was in town.

One of my old roommates/really good friends lived in that area for about 2 years. He has nothing but good things to say about Oklahoma.

PS - The Flaming Lips songs I'd recommend the most are:

Fight Test
Waiting for a Superman

Last edited:
I'll check out everyone's suggestions.

And yes, mofo, the OKC metro area is a great place to live. Really friendly people, slow pace of life for a big city, and plenty of fun stuff to do. :up: I'm glad your friend enjoyed living here.

Interesting album... (Yoshimi...)

Lyrics sort of remind me of old Beck stuff... then again, maybe I'm on crack.

There's no maybe to that question Cujo.

I still havent received my copy of 'Soft Bulletin'.

Yoshimi is better than I originally thought it would be.

Back
Top Bottom