SPIDERMAN 3... OH YEAH!!! (the face <== is Venom)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utoo said:
My brother is a gynormous Spidey fan. He called & left a message saying he hoped I wasn't in watching the movie because it'd be a waste of money. I was VERY surprised to hear that, as he'd loved the first two and pretty much loves all things Spidey. I haven't seen it yet...will probably go next week.

I went with a big fan who was also very disappointed. Even I thought it was overly sappy with a soap opera worthy ending. I've never disliked her before but I thought Dunst was pretty awful.

I did enjoy it though, overall it's a fun movie and there was a round of applause when it ended. The special effects were cool.

I just got home from watching Spiderman 3.

I have mixed feelings about this one....There needs to be more Venom and less Sandman (I found his character to be a little too sympatheic like) and I was pretty pissed that they rehashed some of the same lines from the first two movies.

But I did like Emo Peter....he was hilarious!

(on a little side note....the theater I went to had a guy dressed up as Spiderman...going on top of the building and taking pictures with the crowd and getting my theater (which goes by colors instead of numbers....mine was the blue room) pumped about the movie. I thought it was crazy fun!)

I saw it last night it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wish they had given the villians more screen time. As for the special effects they were very good!

Topher Grace did not disappoint me at all :love:

I don't think it's as bad as X-Men 3. And it's definitely better than anything after the second installment of the Superman or 90s Batman series', excepting Superman Returns (Though it's certainly more fun than Superman Returns even if not as satisfying). I don't think anything in the film was done badly. It just never had room to breathe. It's like anything remotely expository was relegated to a montage or Aunt May's verbose tendencies.

saw it yesterday afternoon. it was good, I've liked all the spidey movies. maybe not as good as the previous ones, but good overall. the dancing and stuff was a little over the top, but funny nonetheless. the only bummer was that the theater I went to only showed 1 preview. I thought I would have seen more previews attached to spidey since it was such a huge movie. we went to a place called Hollywood Boulevard, which is a bit different than the normal theaters (think dinner and a movie), but still allowed kids at every showing. :shrug: anyway, I thought it was good.

U2Girl416 said:
saw it yesterday afternoon. it was good, I've liked all the spidey movies. maybe not as good as the previous ones, but good overall. the dancing and stuff was a little over the top, but funny nonetheless. the only bummer was that the theater I went to only showed 1 preview. I thought I would have seen more previews attached to spidey since it was such a huge movie. we went to a place called Hollywood Boulevard, which is a bit different than the normal theaters (think dinner and a movie), but still allowed kids at every showing. :shrug: anyway, I thought it was good.

I went there yesterday too! Did you see the dude who dressed up as Spidey? :hyper:

Yea...I was a little bummed that they only showed that one preview.....but at least they didn't show a whole lot of them.

I dare say I'll wait for DVD on this one. Several people whose opinions I value said they hated it. That's enough for me.

If you're are afraid multiple villains = the same disaster as the Batman movies, then you're wrong. All of the villains have a purpose and fit well in the scheme of the movie.

My only gripe is that the characters introduced weren't developed enough as say Doc Ock or the Green Goblin were.

That being said, it's the perfect conclusion for the trilogy story-arc, mixing the humor and charm of the first with the harder edge of the second.

Plus, Bryce Dallas Howard has officially hopped onto my Spank Bank Radar as Gwen Stacy. Knights of Columbus she was hot. Are we sure she's related to this guy?

mindpre.jpg

It's worth the money. It a good "popcorn" movie, that is to say it is entertaining. There are flaws, but every movie has flaws. It was 2.5 hours, and at no point was I bored. My wife even liked it and she HATED the first two. I mean really hated them.

LemonMacPhisto said:
If you're are afraid multiple villains = the same disaster as the Batman movies, then you're wrong. All of the villains have a purpose and fit well in the scheme of the movie.

My only gripe is that the characters introduced weren't developed enough as say Doc Ock or the Green Goblin were.

That being said, it's the perfect conclusion for the trilogy story-arc, mixing the humor and charm of the first with the harder edge of the second.

Plus, Bryce Dallas Howard has officially hopped onto my Spank Bank Radar as Gwen Stacy. Knights of Columbus she was hot. Are we sure she's related to this guy?

mindpre.jpg

Gee, thanks for posting that pic. I predict nightmares for me tonite..:sad:

:yikes: sorry to say she is related to Clint.... Boy did he get hit with the ugly stick or what... :ohmy:

It's really odd. I tend to find redheads far more attractive, but Bryce Dallas Howard did more for me as a blonde than she does normally. More than Kirsten, too.

:love:

spidey3.jpg

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

I went there yesterday too! Did you see the dude who dressed up as Spidey? :hyper:

Yea...I was a little bummed that they only showed that one preview.....but at least they didn't show a whole lot of them.

we went to the 3:15pm Saturday showing, I don't recall seeing anyone dressed as Spidey. although we did have kids who yelled and talked through the whole thing :grumpy: I really wanted to see more previews though! oh well, at least there's no shortage of summer movies this time. not sure if I'll see spidey again or not.

I saw it today and thought it was great, don't really understand all the complaints from the media, only thing that I didn't like had nothing to do with the movie, aw well my fault for sitting next to annoying kids.

Rotten Tomatoes

Spiderman 2 93% Fresh
Spiderman 3 61% Fresh

Based on my viewing habits of film over the past few years and using Rotten Tomatoes as a guideline, I generally accept the overall opinion presented by the website. Soooo this is why I am waiting for the dvd, maybe if I see it at all. I still haven't seen ET, the Goonies or Pirates of the Caribbean 2.:wink:

Could they have put the film in more theatres? 4252, that's a record too, shit, even the crappy little town where I live had a copy this past weekend although I am in Canada. I am curious to see this weekend's boxoffice take for the film after a large number of people have already seen it. It will still probably break 300 million domestic though.

Coming in here late, I think most people have already said what I thought of it, so quick summary: good popcorn film, too long, a bit slow in 2nd half, some definite WTF? moments w/ Peter Parker, tried to cram too much into one movie, GREAT visual effects (the 1st Sandmand effect was :drool: ), great action/fight sequences.

Overall fun, exciting but also a bit slow at times, but by no means bad. Waaaaaaaay better than Superman Returns or X-Men 3 IMO! :yes:

FitzChivalry said:

Overall fun, exciting but also a bit slow at times, but by no means bad. Waaaaaaaay better than Superman Returns or X-Men 3 IMO! :yes:

That's the most important part there at the end. :wink:

In my top whatever comic book-superhero films list, Spidey 3 would be surprisingly high for how disappointing everybody's declaring it.

Maybe something like:

Spiderman 2
X-Men 2
Batman Begins
Superman
(Tim Burton's) Batman
Spiderman 3

Yeah. That seems about right.

Lancemc said:

Maybe something like:

Spiderman 2
X-Men 2
Batman Begins
Superman
(Tim Burton's) Batman
Spiderman 3

Yeah. That seems about right.

What about Superman II? Or is that just for old guys like me? :lol: I'd love to see the original Richard Donner cut of Superman II!

I have to say there were A LOT of parts in Spidey 3 that reminded me of scenes from the first three Superman films.

FitzChivalry said:

What about Superman II? Or is that just for old guys like me? :lol: I'd love to see the original Richard Donner cut of Superman II!

I have to say there were A LOT of parts in Spidey 3 that reminded me of scenes from the first three Superman films.

Superman II might make it once I see the Donner cut. Not a fan of the theatrical version. But I didn't make a full list anyway, just everything above Spider 3.

Lancemc said:

Spiderman 2
X-Men 2
Batman Begins
Superman
(Tim Burton's) Batman
Spiderman 3

Most comic book movies suck. I have been reading and collecting comics for 30 years. Hollywood directors and writers ruin comic books with a handful of exceptions. The first two Batmans by Tim Burton and Batman Begins were pretty good along with the first two Supermans with Christopher Reeve and the first two Spidermans and X2. Sin City was fun along with 300 and the first Mask. The Crow was good too. V for Vendetta was an excellent adaption and the Incredibles was probably the greatest superhero movie ever not based on any book in particular.

Constantine, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Fantastic Four, Catwoman ( this piece of crap should have been destroyed), Elektra, Daredevil, Hulk, Judge Dredd, Swamp Thing, Punisher, Supergirl, Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, Superman 3 and 4 all sucked. X3 was unbearable. Ok, some may have enjoyed them but they did not reflect the comics. Unless the filmmakers stay true to the comics themselves, why bother to make the film? For some reason they think that they know how to take characters which have been developed by many writers and artists over decades and come up with a better idea instead of building on what has already been done. Then they wonder why most of the films end up in the gutter. The reason the ones I mentioned above were so successful was they didn't stray to far from the source.

There are a ton of comic movies in the pipe like Wolverine, Watchmen, and Ironman but 75% of them are probably going to be shite. I am hoping Zack Snyder respects Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbon's vision of the Watchmen, it could be a spectacular film unless they start jerking it around. If they decide to use an original screenplay for Wolverine instead of adapting a story from the comics, it will be horrible. Actually, I don't even like the Wolverine in the X films, he lacks the whole personality and character which makes Logan such a badass, they toned him down too much.

Avi Arad is just whoring out the whole Marvel library just to make some money with no regard for the fans, creators or artists of the characters or the quality of the films. :nerd:

Rant over, continue on with your Spidey love.:wink:

Last edited:
The reviews I heard in school today made it sound like the biggest movie disappointment ever. Everyone seemed to hate it.

I think it's one of those movies you have to see for yourself.

I liked it more than the lukewarm Pirates 2.

I don't think I ever gave my official review on Spidey 3 anyway:

I give the film an 8.5/10 keeping the following in perspective.

Raimi's original Spiderman was a flawed film. Actually, watching the first two again before seeing Spidey 3, I realized that I really don't like the first Spiderman that much. The dialog is pretty poor overall, and there is so much cheese that it's almost hard to watch. BUT, cheesy awesomeness is what Raimi does best, and Spiderman is still entertaining because of that. But seriously, that film is pretty cheesy for how good it supposedly is.

Spinderman 2, on the other hand, is just outright amazing. It's not only my favorite superhero film of all time, but it's one of my favorite films of any genre...ever. Somehow Sam Raimi crafted a truly brilliant film unlike anything he's ever directed before. It's a serious film-making achievement. The pacing was perfect for the characters, the acting was great (for comic book movie acting), the action scenes were unbeatable, Molina's Doc Ock was just ozzing with personality and remains my favorite silver-screen supervillain to this very day, and the movie was just plain gorgeous to watch. The cinematography was out of this world.

So logically, the fans' expectations for the third film were astronomical. And Raimi desperately wanted to deliver. The only problem was, he couldn't. There was no way he could ever live up to the hype. I doubt Raimi will ever direct a film better than Spiderman 2 anyway, it was just that stellar...his masterpiece.

So really, Spidey 3 was destined to disappoint right from the beginning. I knew this, we all did really. And I sort of hoped I'd be proven wrong. I wasn't. Spiderman 3 is the most ambitious film Raimi, or Sony Pictures has ever made. Too ambitious in fact, that it begins to cave in on itself about half way through. The script simply couldn't bare the weight of the film's visual ambitions.

So, what am I getting at here? Basically, I'm saying that Spiderman 3 is a damn amazing accomplishment nonetheless. It might be the most expensive film ever made, and it shows. The CGI in this film is some of the very best I've ever seen, and Sandman alone is the single finest work of computer imagery I've ever been treated to. The action scenes are just as awe-inspiring as those in Spidey 2, but the context just isn't strong enough to make them as poignant.

And this is where the criticisms come. And this is where I bring Spiderman 1 back into this. Spiderman 3, to me, feels like the true sequel to the first film. I mean, the script obviously follows the event in the second film, but stylistically, this is the followup to Raimi's first Spidey picture. The camp has returned. So has the cheese. I love to hate it. It's here even stronger than in the first flick, and it's also much funnier. Campbell's seen in the restaurant is possibly my favorite in the whole film. And Peter's black suited "emo" romp through New York and the musical number in the jazz club as mindblowingly goofy to watch. They're so out of place, that I can't help but adore them. THIS is the Sam Raimi I know and love. If this movie had been helmed by any other director I might be forced to admit the cheese was part of the movie's failings, instead of its stylistic achievment.

If you watch this film as a direct sequel to Spiderman 2 (which, well, duh Lance, it is you fool) these points of the film can be nearly painful to watch. But people seem to forget how campy the original flick was. To me, Spiderman 3 feel like Spiderman 1 if the gags were even more extreme, the dialog was even more melodramatic (can be a good thing sometimes), and the actions scenes were out-of-this-world-amazing.

If that's not a compliment to this film's greatness, I don't know what is. So yes, Spiderman 3 WAS a disappointment. But any big budget film Raimi does from this point on will be after the out-of-character masterwork that was Spiderman 2. Just roll with it folks. Sit back and enjoy. If you love the Evil Dead series, and you love Spiderman, I don't see how you can't love Raimi's Spiderman 3.

U2Girl416 said:

we went to the 3:15pm Saturday showing, I don't recall seeing anyone dressed as Spidey. although we did have kids who yelled and talked through the whole thing :grumpy: I really wanted to see more previews though! oh well, at least there's no shortage of summer movies this time. not sure if I'll see spidey again or not.

Oh...ok. I went to the 7:45pm Saturday showing....so that maybe the reason why. The kids were quiet in my theater....so I'm not sure about that.

I'm fine with the previews limitation now. True..there's a good amount of summer movies (even though it's mainly sequels and remakes...but whatever) this year. I'm going to wait for the DVD if I want to see it a second time.

My brother in law watched Spiderman 3 tonight in his living room.:shocked:

I have Grindhouse on my iPod :reject:

I'm deleting it as soon as I watch it. The only reason I got it is because I couldn't see it at all in theaters and probably not in the conceivable future.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I have Grindhouse on my iPod :reject:

I'm deleting it as soon as I watch it. The only reason I got it is because I couldn't see it at all in theaters and probably not in the conceivable future.

I ain't judging you. Carry on.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom