Shuttlecock VIII: Did We Just Die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WW: We fully intended to have two different set lists and make it a pair of shows. This idea survived all the way to the beginning of the music rehearsals, at which point it became apparent that it wasn’t really viable. I really believe that they could have rehearsed enough songs for two shows, and I would have very much enjoyed being able to delve into the catalog, but the question of which songs would be left out of any given show became too big to get around.

:rolleyes:

More like it didn't get past the rehearsal stage because they're too lazy to learn that many songs.

Obviously if they're ok with not playing One on most nights, or dropping WOWY or Pride for periods of time as they have before (IIRC), they could get around this. Beautiful Day, Streets, and Vertigo are really the only standards that are absolute locks.

It's absolutely believable to me that they want so much to please everyone that they don't want to disappoint people by not playing Pride one night or SBS another night. What's strange to me is that they didn't think of that until rehearsals.

Anyway, just spit-balling here, here's what two completely different setlists might look like, with only the three Laz mentioned as overlap. In reality, they'd probably play the same new songs anyway, but here goes:

#1(Basically what they're doing now)

1. The Miracle
2. The Electric Co.
3. Vertigo
4. I Will Follow
5. Iris
6. Song For Someone
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Until The End Of The World

11. Invisible
12. Even Better Than The Real Thing
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Desire
15. Angel Of Harlem
16. Every Breaking Wave
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Pride
19. Beautiful Day
20. With Or Without You

21. City Of Blinding Lights
22. Bad
23. Where The Streets Have No Name
24. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

1. Volcano
2. Vertigo
3. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
4. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
5. The Crystal Ballroom
6. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
7. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
8. Surrender
9. New Year's Day
10. The Fly

11. California
12. Elevation
13. The Playboy Mansion
14. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
15. Stay(Faraway, So Close)
16. Ordinary Love
17. When Love Comes To Town
18. In God's Country
19. Beautiful Day
20. All I Want Is You

21. Miracle Drug
22. Where The Streets Have No Name
23. The Troubles
24. One

I could've balanced them better in terms of how many hits each set gets, but the question is, would a lot of people be pissed if they got #2 instead of #1?

They really don't have to play an entire new set every night to please the fan base. A consistent half a dozen changes a night and a minimum 25 songs over 2 1/2 hours would cut down a lot of the bitching.

I'm not hoping attendees of tonight's show get a shit sandwich, but I'm def going to be bummed if they're lucky enough to get California, Bad, and The Troubles.

Hell, I would have traded 40 and AIWIY for the first two.

California is awesome live and I'm glad I got it, but AIWIY was probably the highlight of the tour so far and I missed it. Still stings a bit. I'm not heartbroken over missing 40. It needs to be the permanent closer but it's not like I've never gotten it live before. If you went to a Vertigo gig, you probably heard it.

I'm not heartbroken over missing 40. It needs to be the permanent closer but it's not like I've never gotten it live before. If you went to a Vertigo gig, you probably heard it.

Not if you saw them outside the U.S.A. Then you got Vertigo.
Luckily, I saw them play it in Dublin as they didn't play it at the US show I saw that first leg.

One of my fondest concert memories, and most potent, ever, is after my very first U2 show (which was my very first concert of any variety) all the fans kept singing "How long to sing this song" as we exited, and as we walked to our cars (or waited for their friend's Dad to pick them up, as was the case with us). It was just one of those indescribable put powerful moments that only a large collection of people can achieve. I still think of that moment almost every time I hear "40".

A very magical end to a very magical night.

A lot of the Vertigo shows I saw kind of blur together in my memory (with a few notable exceptions). Off the top of my head, I honestly can't say if I've seen 40 close one of those shows.

I must have. Since Vertigo x2 debuted at the second Seattle show, they must have closed the first one with it?

I'm too lazy to go to U2gigs.com.

*mentally summons Axver*

One of my fondest concert memories, and most potent, ever, is after my very first U2 show (which was my very first concert of any variety) all the fans kept singing "How long to sing this song" as we exited, and as we walked to our cars (or waited for their friend's Dad to pick them up, as was the case with us). It was just one of those indescribable put powerful moments that only a large collection of people can achieve. I still think of that moment almost every time I hear "40".

A very magical end to a very magical night.

It was still like that on the first leg of Vertigo. Crowd sang along forever.

A similarly great experience: Wake Up being sung at Lollapalooza 2010 long after Arcade Fire had left.

One of my favourite concert closers was during the first Montreal Vertigo show, when they closed the show with a fantastic version of Bad (with Daniel Lanois) and a snippet of 40.

Was pure magic.

A lot of the Vertigo shows I saw kind of blur together in my memory (with a few notable exceptions). Off the top of my head, I honestly can't say if I've seen 40 close one of those shows.

I must have. Since Vertigo x2 debuted at the second Seattle show, they must have closed the first one with it?

I'm too lazy to go to U2gigs.com.

*mentally summons Axver*

:lol: Yeah, every show closed with 40 until Seattle 2.

I thought a good number of Vertigo shows ended with Cockweh. Am I crazy?

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Vertigo Tour page, we have a list of all the songs that closed: U2 Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

For the lazy:

· 40 (60)
· Vertigo (38)
· Bad (15)
· Kite (7)
· All I Want Is You (5)
· One Tree Hill (2)
· Instant Karma! (1)
· With Or Without You (1)
· Fast Cars (1)
· Love Is Blindness (1)

Status