Review the Last Movie You Viewed Part VI: Satisfying the A-R crowd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Foot Fist Way was pretty funny... great to see Danny McBride carry a whole movie. It's a decent movie, but had me laughing throughout most of it. If you're a fan of McBride or that Will Ferrell-type manchild types of humor, then this is for you.

Leatherheads is up next.

That one shot with Oskar underwater and all of the craziness happening around him was sublime and totally made up for any OTT at the end for me. Man, I have a feeling this will stick with me for a bit.

Let the Right One In SPOILERS to follow...

Okay, so I saw this today, and personally I would have ended the thing when Eli left town, the final shot seeing Oskar's handprint dissipate from the window. I really thought it was going to cut to black right there.

What comes after feels a bit tacked on, unnecessary. What's the lesson there, that there's no point in standing up to bullies, because their older brothers are going to come and permanently maim you if you do? I'm having a hard time buying the threat of real violence that was going on there. Maybe things are different in Sweden--I thought they just fucked a lot up there to deal with all the shitty weather.

Anyway, so obviously there's no way Oskar is going to be able to explain away four dead bodies (why was the innocent weird guy taken out too?), espeically when he's already on watch for hitting that kid the first time. So he skips town and him and Eli are going to live off her dirty money? It was an original ending but a bit too goofy after the tender sadness preceding it. Just didn't ring true.

Having said that, what a marvelous film.

Chunhyangdyun (2000)
Chunhyang(dyun)

It's a Korean movie and it puts a lot of emphasis on the old Korean culture. It's pretty sweet though. I don't want to sound biased though 'cause I'm Korean and all. :wink:
All in all, if you're an open-minded person, dig love stories, and are into foreign flicks, I suggest you watch this. It was pretty damn good.

Let the Right One In SPOILERS to follow...

Okay, so I saw this today, and personally I would have ended the thing when Eli left town, the final shot seeing Oskar's handprint dissipate from the window. I really thought it was going to cut to black right there.

What comes after feels a bit tacked on, unnecessary. What's the lesson there, that there's no point in standing up to bullies, because their older brothers are going to come and permanently maim you if you do? I'm having a hard time buying the threat of real violence that was going on there. Maybe things are different in Sweden--I thought they just fucked a lot up there to deal with all the shitty weather.

Anyway, so obviously there's no way Oskar is going to be able to explain away four dead bodies (why was the innocent weird guy taken out too?), espeically when he's already on watch for hitting that kid the first time. So he skips town and him and Eli are going to live off her dirty money? It was an original ending but a bit too goofy after the tender sadness preceding it. Just didn't ring true.

Having said that, what a marvelous film.

It was building to that sort of climax since Oskar smacked the kid in the ear with the stick, I thought. I wish the innocent kid didn't have to die, but a good amount of innocents died earlier in the film anyway. At least Ben Kingsley didn't show up to explain the entire movie to Oskar.

Most badass moment: the chick engulfed in flames on the hospital bed, ftw.

Time for some scattered thoughts on Quantum of Solace

Wasn't planning on seeing this for a while, but my roommate sort of pressed me into going with him tonight.

Good news, it's pretty solid. It really functions well as a sequel, building on the events of the prior film and establishing a pretty clear direction for the next few films in the series. I'm looking forward to a more continuous string of movie building on these two as groundwork.

Biggest problems arise in the larger set pieces. Forster and his second unit really don't quite have the grip on directing action to pull off the clearly Bourne-influenced aesthetic. The edits aren't particularly intuitive, and he really needs to pull back the camera a bit more often to establish the physical space. But, honestly, as much as I was anticipating these problems, some of the sequences are still really thrilling, and I quickly found myself entirely engaged in the film within an easy 15 minutes. It might not quite nail the modern Bourne approach quite like Greengrass managed, but James Bond is an infinitely more interesting Universe to explore, and Craig's Bond is quickly being established as the Bond.

The plot isn't as messy as some would have you believe. It's not as well pointed and intriguing as C.R. but compared to some of the other whacky shenanigans of previous Bond flicks? It's not bad. It's clearly a bridge film though, and pretty convincingly brings Craig's Bond up to the development we'd come to expect from the cold-hearted smart-ass we all know and love. The Vesper thread is wrapped up, perhaps more easily than I would have appreciated, but it's also nice that it doesn't smack you over the head every 10 minutes. It really brings the focus on Amalric's hauntingly awesome Dominic Greene and his refreshingly down-to-earth evil scheme. It also introduces what is sure to be the SPECTRE of the 21st century, a criminal organization I suspect will take precedence in the next few films.

Overall, it's not great. There are many flaws, but at the end of the day it's hard not to compare it to the many films to come before it, through which comparison Quantum of Solace really shines as a satisfying experience. I'm pleasantly surprised after the loads of unwarranted shit this films seems to have collected recently.

7/10

....and in other news, the Star Trek trailer is absolute garbage, and nearly erased all but the thinnest hopes I have left for it.

QUANTUM OF MOTHERFUCKING SOLACE

I loved it. Daniel Craig is as good or better than anyone who has played the character on the big screen. He has it...he is James Bond. The pre-credit sequence was the low point of the movie for me. It picked up about 30 minutes in during the Opera scene and never let up. I'm not going to be able to articulate my feelings very well in the strate I'm in but I can tell you that it was a beautiful entry into the series and one of the most entertaining moviesI've seen all year. Olga Kurylenko is perfect as the Bond girl. A classic combination of sexy and dangerous with a great revenge story background. The climactic action scene in the fire-ravaged hotel was more than intense and the final moments of the film were enough to have me leave with a big smile on my face and the desire to act like James Bond for the rest of the night.

Taxi to the Dark Side. 10/10

Just a wonderful documentary, highly recommended, earned every accolade it got. You may know the basics, but to see a lot of it is still shocking, or I hope it shocks you anyway.

Totally unrelated to the story, but I really loved the cinematography of Afghanistan at the start of the movie. The colours were so vivid that it didn't feel real at all. I was really taken aback for the first few minutes.

Let The Right One In

Holy flippin shit this movie is great.

Quiet, reserved, humanist, plays its cards close to its chest till the very end. Every time I see a Swedish film it strikes me how bizarre their language sounds, and that kid was really fucking pale. But once I got over that I was in for a huge treat.

Gorgeous film through and through. Loved the very subtle visual clues that would be remarkably easy to discount or miss completely (like the single displaced white square on the rubick's cube, or the oversized red sweater at Oskar's dads). And also, I loved the ending (more on the final scene in a moment), and I didn't find the pool scene over-the-top at all. What it means to me is Eli's still childish heart at the core. She may be hundreds of years old for all we know, but she's still a twelve year old girl. We see this in her stubbornness early with her "caretaker" and in her naivete regarding certain social or sexual ideas. But part of her knew she should have left Oskar alone in the end, to avoid endangering him and causing even more unnecessary death. But Oskar is her friend so she lashes out and overcompensates when she comes back for him and sees he's in trouble.

But with regards to the ending, nobody's commented yet on how tragic the whole thing is. Well, here's how I interpret other parts of the film first. I've read a lot of people who interpreted her caretaker in the beginning as her father, which I don't agree with, especially considering the end of the film. I think that man was another boy in Eli's life just like Oskar turns out to be here. A boy whose misguided youthful friendship sends him off with this dangerous creature for ultimately the rest of his life. He ages, sacrifices his soul to keep her strong, and ends up being disregarded, replaced by a newer younger boy. I think that's why he came off despondent about her relationship with Oskar, more from jealousy and regret than anything else. And that's the tragedy of the final scene. Oskar and Eli ride off together, sure to start a new life... at least the most sort of life a human and vampire in a 12 year old's body can lead. I think we're to infer that Oskar will be her caretaker for the foreseeable future, ultimately taking on the killing and harvesting duty once he's old enough and capable enough. And Oskar will grow old, unable to leave but for his love for her, and she will stay the same and one day meet someone new. Will Oskar be able to survive the heartbreak and his own conscience? Hopefully.

Glad you liked it, and that's an interesting interpretation... really adds a lot of weight to an already heavy film.

I mean, she only really says that man was her father at the hospital, because... how else do you explain a relationship between an older man and a 12 year old in public without any questions. I think his disposition and reactions through the film would imply my interpretation rather successfully, especially considering the parallelism of the relationship with Oskar which is more explicitly illustrated.

I mean, she only really says that man was her father at the hospital, because... how else do you explain a relationship between an older man and a 12 year old in public without any questions. I think his disposition and reactions through the film would imply my interpretation rather successfully, especially considering the parallelism of the relationship with Oskar which is more explicitly illustrated.

True.

What disturbed me the most was the fact that Eli may not even be a girl in the first place. The reason he/she connects with Oskar in the first place was because she sympathized with his plight, so maybe he/she was in that spot ages ago, too. In fact, both characters look androgynous, in a sense.

Maybe. I'm not sure the whole "not a girl thing" (if you're referring mostly to her comment and her lack of... well you know) has as much to do with sex as it does being a human. And I think when she asks him is he would still like her if she weren't a girl, she was really asking if he would still like her if he knew she were a vampire, a guised search for reassurance.

Maybe. I'm not sure the whole "not a girl thing" (if you're referring mostly to her comment and her lack of... well you know) has as much to do with sex as it does being a human. And I think when she asks him is he would still like her if she weren't a girl, she was really asking if he would still like her if he knew she were a vampire, a guised search for reassurance.

That's what I was referring to, yes.

It could be that, or it could be both, who knows? I love how much this film leaves open to interpretation.

And the cats attacking that chick was fucking stellar.

Well I mean, going by what little I know of vampire mythology if she were a human and got turned into a vampire, her "sex" would remain the same yes? Meaning her general biology and body type, since I'm guessing vampires lack genre or something? I really don't know enough to say. We did see glimpses of her body changing a bit though when she was feeding, so I'm guessing her transformation into a vampire causes some physical changes as well, notably the disappearance of her genitals, though I assumed that basically she was still "female" in the human sense....

Confusing. Who knows.

But the cats attacking that woman was probably the one point in the film I was a little bit unsure of its direction. Thankfully it came to a brilliant conclusion. Maybe it was just how bizarrely CG they all looks when attacking her. Conceptually though, yes. Pretty badass. Not nearly as badass as her bursting into flames though.

Juno - quirky
Sweeney Todd... :down: not my cup of tea. Didn't care for the constant singing (yes, I know it's a musical) :shrug:
Gone Baby Gone (might have already commented on it before). :up:

Have a few TiVo'd that I have to catch up on:
Darjeeling Limited
No Country For Old Men

can't remember what else. I'm waaaaaaay behind.

And my moviephile friend emailed this to me, just passing it along. I believe you mentioned one of them on recent pages (I skimmed)

A Swedish vampire film called "Let the Right One In". Great take on the genre. The other is one of my favorite films in quite a while, "Slumdog Millionaire". Despite my obvious proclivity to the subject matter (game show contestant/scandal), it is a marvelous piece of cinema with all elements clicking - music, plot, cinematography, acting, etc. can't recommend it highly enough

Well I mean, going by what little I know of vampire mythology if she were a human and got turned into a vampire, her "sex" would remain the same yes? Meaning her general biology and body type, since I'm guessing vampires lack genre or something? I really don't know enough to say. We did see glimpses of her body changing a bit though when she was feeding, so I'm guessing her transformation into a vampire causes some physical changes as well, notably the disappearance of her genitals, though I assumed that basically she was still "female" in the human sense....

Confusing. Who knows.

But the cats attacking that woman was probably the one point in the film I was a little bit unsure of its direction. Thankfully it came to a brilliant conclusion. Maybe it was just how bizarrely CG they all looks when attacking her. Conceptually though, yes. Pretty badass. Not nearly as badass as her bursting into flames though.

Right, there was some metaphysical changes when she went into full Vamp mode. It could go either way, but I'm leaning toward the "Eli's not a girl" idea.

People bursting into flames = mega-win.

A Swedish vampire film called "Let the Right One In". Great take on the genre. The other is one of my favorite films in quite a while, "Slumdog Millionaire". Despite my obvious proclivity to the subject matter (game show contestant/scandal), it is a marvelous piece of cinema with all elements clicking - music, plot, cinematography, acting, etc. can't recommend it highly enough

We've been talking about Let the Right One In on this very page.

Let The Right One In = Best film of the year

Slumdog Millionaire = 4th Best film of the year.

You should see both Lila.

Quantum of Solace. 4/10

What a dumb, dumb movie. If this is what they want to make, please end the series already. As an aside I've always found these movies to be really demeaning to women, but I figured they were made for 13 year old boys so it made sense. However, do we really need a scene where a woman is nearly raped and then they gratuitously zoom in on her bare crotch? Give me a break.

Caterina_Murino_splashnews.jpg

:)

I didn't love it, but I would have given it 6/10 rather than 4/10.

That's fair.

In Quantum, I thought the action was moving too fast to get a chance to acknowledge that crotch shot you mentioned, anitram, but I felt that the sequence was necessary to show the evil of Gen. Medrano before Camille took him out. If you look at the rest of the films through a feminist lens, of course they're going to be chauvinistic to a certain extent, but then you've got characters like Pussy Galore from Goldfinger, Jinx from Die Another Day, and Wai Lin from Tomorrow Never Dies who are equals to Bond and get the best of him at times.

I agree about the sequence serving a purpose.

A shot of her labia was completely gratuitous. It was funny, I went with a group of abou 10 people, and everybody was like WTF was with that shot??

It probably was, but I don't think that's enough to discount an entire movie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom