Random Music Talk LXXXIX: This, That, and The Other Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So there was this girl. We went to the same schools from 3rd grade through the end of high school. She was my unobtanium. Anyway, when I was in 9th grade and a heavy, shy, nerdy mess, I decided stupidly that I was going to leave her an anonymous note. There was a particular spot she stood with her frinds in between class every day near the end of the day. So I write this note. Put it in an envelope. Address it to her with the subtitle "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL AFTER SCHOOL". Then when there are only 15 minutes left of the class before she's going to be in the spot I know she'll be, I use the restroom and make a detour to tape this envelope up. I hurried out of class very quickly to get to the spot to see if I could watch her take it, but it was already gone and she was just getting there. So I thought, "Well, some teacher probably thought it was garbage and threw it out." And I breathed a sigh of relief. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, fast forward 15 years. We're friends on facebook. We follow each other on Instagram. So today, she posts a picture of the front of the envelope with my handwriting on it hashtagged "don'topenuntilafterschool" and says "I still have no idea who wrote this. Fine, I won't open it til after school." My face turned bright red. Well I asked it about it. Apparently a mutual friend of ours saw it, thought she'd dropped it, and picked it up and gave it to her later. She never knew I was the one who wrote it. Hoping against hope she hadn't opened the letter, I messaged her and told her it was me and please don't embarrass me by opening it. Well, she already had. My face is still bright red two hours later. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, if you go see the movie Laggies that comes out early (?) next year, she's in it.
My take on this is that you f'ed up royally 15 years ago. The fact that she kept the thing for 15 years is evidence that she was by no means "unobtanium", the letter obviously had some effect on her, and had you acted, she might well have gone out with you.

F04hbBi.jpg

Pfft. Dude probably saw that Pavel guy and said "OMG, I'm gonna get a tattoo that commemorates the time I met Bono at a tractor convention! The tattoo must look exactly like him at this exact moment in time!"

He also looks a bit like Chipmunk!Bono.

I was a bit ambivalent about the Flying Lotus's most recent album, but listening to it again tonight I was reminded of how strongly it concludes. That second half is stellar.

So Beyonce did a photo shoot 10 minutes from my house in Brunswick today. Out the front of some derelict house. I went down there, but she was gone. I'm tipping they did the shoot in the morning and then put it on Twitter/Facebook an hour or so later so she didn't get swamped. When I went down there tons of people started coming. The lady who lived in the house would have been in her 90s, and she came out and wanted to know what all the fuss was about, she had no idea. There was a gay couple on the right of her house and they were sitting inside when it all happened. Lady on the left came out for a glimpse and was gushing at how beautiful she was.

And just to prove it was real...

1382785_10151768290781843_1564556873_n.jpg

1000006_10151768291041843_1393319670_n.jpg

I was a bit ambivalent about the Flying Lotus's most recent album, but listening to it again tonight I was reminded of how strongly it concludes. That second half is stellar.

The whole album is really strong in my opinion. It's got a great, consistent mood, though it's not quite as good as Cosmogramma.

I wish I'd known Michael Franti now makes incredibly cheesy music before I went to see him tonight, else I'd have stayed home. There was exactly one song that wasn't cringeworthy, and that one was actually good. Now I know for sure what I always suspected, which is that the many people who've told me over the years that Franti & Spearhead is the best concert they've ever been to haven't been to a lot of concerts.

He used to be good though, right? Beautiful man, but the songs are just not good. People ate it up here, though. They went totally crazy. I left early.

My housemate is apparently two years back on discovering music, and just discovered a dubstep remix of pumped up kicks. I may kill him.

They were shooting on that old lady's property without here knowing or being compensated?

At an electro gig... Got here at 9... Main act doesn't come on til 1am... And the bouncer says no passouts. "Bro, I can't have people coming and going all night bro." Go fuck yourself cunt.

NME had The Joshua Tree hovering around #450. Pretty low credibility.

I'm assuming AB will appear in the Top 300 but you never know.

So probably only Mofo will appreciate this but before the main act finally fucking came on at 1am this was the last song that played

Dj Koze - La Duquesa - YouTube

Bit of a weird choice considering it's really chilled but I was pretty drunk so I took the opportunity to rave off my tits. Was quite certainly the only one in the entire club doing so. Good times.

Man, I haven't listened to that album in a month or two, will have to do so shortly!

Haha, I just remembered that my favorite Smiths album is actually a compilation (Hatful of Hollow). Oh well, what the fuck do I know. I prefer the previous 2 albums (their debut especially), anyways, but that's just me. Louder Than Bombs is another great one, but it too is a complilation. I liked many of the b-sides as much if not better than the singles. :shrug:

Meat is Murder would be my favorite album of theirs, were it not for the title track. I've NEVER heard an album that had one song on it, bad enough to get me to lower the score of the release a whole star.

I just remembered that my favorite Smiths album is actually a compilation (Hatful of Hollow)...I liked many of the b-sides as much if not better than the singles. :shrug:

Agreed with these two points. Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs are two of the best compilations ever.

Absolutely. I would give anything to see most if not all of those tracks performed live by them. One of life's biggest live show regrets but to be fair I was just a bit too young to have been in attendance when they were at their touring heyday.

Back
Top Bottom