Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't feel like making a thread for this because it's probably stupid obvious, but help me out here. In my new place, I can connect to the internet through the modem, but not through the router. It'll connect to the wireless, but will read "no internet access." Curiously, when I am connected to the modem and NOTHING is connected to the router, not even the modem, it claims that I'm connected to the router. Let me map this out.

Laptop + Modem - Router = two connections (this is seriously wtf since routers don't work without being connected to a modem)
Router + Modem - Laptop = no connections (this is what I'm looking to do)
Laptop + Modem + Router = no connections (this is what the router CD wants me to do in order to set up the internet connection, but it says my ethernet cable is broken, which is a lie)

Also, whenever I attempt to move the cables around (only to find it doesn't work) and then go back to the way it normally works, it doesn't recognize my modem and I once again have no connections. Restarting the modem, in this scenario, fixes the problem. I'm connected to the modem now and am having no problems, and my laptop claims to be connected to the wifi also. Of course, when I unplug the thing, it'll immediately disconnect from that, defeating the whole purpose.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that "vorsprung durch technik" is a far better forum name than "restart and reboot yourself."

Try resetting both the router and the modem. That has worked for me in the past.

Unplug the modem from everything and reboot it. Then reboot the router and connect it to the modem.

Tried it just now, did not work. Fuck.

A few comments:

1. The problem is not on my laptop's end: I connected to a portable wifi hotspot off a cell phone successfully. It wasn't connecting at first, but I ran a ping and that worked, so I knew it would only be a matter of time. Indeed, I'm on that wifi connection now.

2. Tried the ping on my router's connection and got nothing. Therefore, the problem is 100% on the router's end. This means I've got to fuck around with the settings on the router, and that sounds like a nightmare. Or I could buy a new one, OR I could pay comcast $20 to come out here. Problem with that is, though it strangely is cheaper, it means no wireless until Monday. I can live without that, but I don't want to.

3. Zooropa is a superior song to Unknown Caller, certainly.

u2popmofo said:
So a band I'd never heard of called Zammuto are opening for Explosions in the Sky on their upcoming tour. Anyways, these guys have a song called "F U C-3PO".

I like that.

haha :up:

Not necessarily. To hard reset my modem you have to hold in a small button on the back with a paper clip. It has a battery backup so just unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't work.

That sounds much more sophisticated

I thought it referred to the fact that every time I have to do it, I feel like booting the fucking thing out the window into the streets

I thought it referred to the fact that every time I have to do it, I feel like booting the fucking thing out the window into the streets

I understand that feeling *Nods*.

That's about all I can contribute to this discussion, as when it comes to the inner workings of computers and how to repair them, I'm about as illiterate as they come.

Hey imps, at Kanye's show, did he do the lengthy monologues during the 808s section, and then Runaway/Lost in the World? We're still debating about whether that added to or took away from the show. Personally, I loved them. I thought it was fascinating to watch.

Also thought it was sick when he kept restarting All of the Lights so we'd sing "A/OUR NIGGA DEAD" louder and louder.

He always does the monologues during 808s? I thought it was dope when he did that on Storytellers but, you know, that's a series for storytelling. Didn't think it was a regular thing. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it even more had I been there; it's great to hear an artist be forthright about themselves and his art like Kanye does.

It's pretty good, but I believe Doolittle is far more consistent and its highlights are even better than the ones on Surfer Rosa.

Doolittle is undoubtedly superior, but I find myself wanting to hear Surfer Rosa regularly anyway. So much fun, and it's over before you know it.

Back
Top Bottom