Random Music CXXVI: The Woy Eet Eez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s actually “Fuckin’” [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

I screwed up, was supposed to type "Boffin'", that's what Diemen initially changed Fuckin' to in the title of the BC thread back when you made it, was pretty funny for a few minutes.

Biffy Boffin' Clyro baby!!!!

Thanks for doing that same thing every single time a band you don’t like is posted about, since this is actually the Random Music Laz Likes Thread.

I was under the impression it was Random Music Talk about artists who don’t already have their own prominent threads. Notice we haven’t been talking about The Beatles in here?

Or maybe the Cockplay thread has grown stale and is buried somewhere on page 4, I guess that would be some kind of good news.

This is pretty much the only consistently active thread in this subforum except for the U2 thread. Why overpolice the thread instead of simply ignoring a post?

BTW, by your logic, your St Etienne post should be on that specific artist thread. And hey, there is one.

lol, you tried

Too bad people are able to play with their own cocks, so those “undertones” are masturbatory.

Also, the word “cock” has been tossed around here more than Lance’s Mom during a Navy furlough so to think it has some special loaded weight in this instance is quite the stretch, so to speak.

I was under the impression it was Random Music Talk about artists who don’t already have their own prominent threads. Notice we haven’t been talking about The Beatles in here?

Or maybe the Cockplay thread has grown stale and is buried somewhere on page 4, I guess that would be some kind of good news.

Interference has like 15 members so best to keep it in one thread

when someone from a historically-discriminated community tells you that they find something you said to be a bit problematic, responding with "lol you tried" is always a good look :up:

Interference has like 15 members so best to keep it in one thread

:sad:

when someone from a historically-discriminated community tells you that they find something you said to be a bit problematic, responding with "lol you tried" is always a good look :up:

When we're in a community where the people have known each other going on 10 years, and suddenly calling out a joke that's almost as long?

Sorry but I'm not biting on the selective amnesia. People were literally changing words to "cock" en masse and at liberty since the Shuttlecock thread started in 2009, and I don't remember a single instance where anyone was doing it for homophobic purposes, even in jest. I would have expected more complaints about the anti-Semitic and sex worker jokes made at the expense of NSW and Lance, respectively.

But thanks for acting as if we're all strangers at a cocktail party and I made some off-color offensive remark in front of everyone.

i'm not saying that disagree with you. but "lol, you tried. too bad yada yada yada" is like one of the most patronizing responses you could possibly give to someone genuinely saying "hey i don't appreciate the language that you just used".

Had it come from someone I didn't know, I'd understand. But being accused of writing "toxic ass shit" by a longtime regular of this forum who has seen a plethora of the content I'm talking about? Nope.

And I can't speak for the other areas of the forum, especially FYM which I avoid like the plague, but B&C is a pretty socially conscious place and we don't have anyone that gets out of line with language whether it's racial, migognistic, or homophobic. So it's an odd insinuation.

I'm with Laz on this one, the whole shuttlecock thing and its various derivatives has been going on for a long while with no malicious intent toward anyone.

Trying to figure out if Drab Majesty write their own music or if they just found a vault of unreleased Sisters of Mercy albums recorded around 1984.

PS the Shuttlecock thing is absolutely and 100% played out, and has been for years.

PS the Shuttlecock thing is absolutely and 100% played out, and has been for years.

Maybe so, but to the point at hand, Laz didn't use the term "Cockplay" to offend or insult any of the members here regarding their sexuality.
Its part of one of a handful of long running jokes on this forum, nothing more, nothing less. Are any of these jokes funny or still funny? That's subjective of course.

What would Leo say about all this?

Maybe so, but to the point at hand, Laz didn't use the term "Cockplay" to offend or insult any of the members here regarding their sexuality.

Its part of one of a handful of long running jokes on this forum, nothing more, nothing less. Are any of these jokes funny or still funny? That's subjective of course.

What would Leo say about all this?

Leo would want a sticker because he used the potty this morning.

giphy.gif

lol, you tried

Too bad people are able to play with their own cocks, so those “undertones” are masturbatory.

Also, the word “cock” has been tossed around here more than Lance’s Mom during a Navy furlough so to think it has some special loaded weight in this instance is quite the stretch, so to speak.

Let’s not pretend that coldplay hasn’t been the subject of a decade’s worth of gay and/or generally insulting jokes. Do you know how I know you’re gay?

Calling the band “cockplay” in the face of those who enjoy them is absolutely channeling that same form of “humor.”

I'm with Laz on this one, the whole shuttlecock thing and its various derivatives has been going on for a long while with no malicious intent toward anyone.

Except it is maliciously intended. It’s a disparaging sexual comment regarding one’s taste of music regarding a band that historically was the source of numerous disparaging insults related to sexuality, and I don’t appreciate it.

Had it come from someone I didn't know, I'd understand. But being accused of writing "toxic ass shit" by a longtime regular of this forum who has seen a plethora of the content I'm talking about?

So you’re willing to understand if it was a stranger, but because it’s me, nah fuck that guy we don’t like him. Justified.

No, I’ve never played along with the joke and was entirely unaware of it and would disinterested in participating. But no, it’s not because you said the word “cock.” It’s the context.

Well, what I’m telling you is that before I was ever out, I was “out” as a Coldplay fan and I was made fun of for it by people like you with your not homophobic jokes. And I don’t like them.

Furthermore, just because you might acknowledge that something is ok to say now does not mean it’s right (ten years ago progressive people would still describe something dumb as gay). I remember here being called self-righteous for not admitting I was gay because I stood out against using the term “butt-hurt” as I found it homophobic. Here’s a good take on that, now: http://persephonemagazine.com/2013/01/can-we-please-stop-using-the-term-butthurt/

So you can listen or you can choose to just say that I’m the poster you don’t like. That’s whatever.

Breaking away from the Fork for a second, I encourage anyone who has been turned off by Danny Brown in the past to listen to his new album. Very mature, focused and old school project executive produced by Q-Tip. 11 tracks, 34 minutes, an absolute joy from start to finish. It's not my favorite album he's put out, but it might be his most repayable. Think of the transition from Atrocity Exhibition to it like To Pimp a Butterfly to DAMN. Just a super dope, more concise album from a high level artist.

Seriously, anyone who likes hip hop should find something they enjoy in there. Best Life and Combat? Get the fuck out of here. Those are crazy good.

"I die for this shit like Elvis"

seconding this recommendation. i had a hard time getting into atrocity exhibition (mostly because of his voice) but thanks to this post, i've given the new one a handful of spins this week and am really enjoying it so i'll probably give the rest of his work another shot.

he still sounds a little too much like cypress hill at times for my liking, and the first two tracks are kinda meh, but the rest of this album is seriously dope. savage nomad sounds like a long lost madvillain track. i'm glad it's only 35ish minutes because i don't think i would want another 15-20 min of that style but there's no disputing that this is a really good album and i probably would have skipped it if not for your suggestion LM so thanks again :up:

Except it is maliciously intended. It’s a disparaging sexual comment regarding one’s taste of music regarding a band that historically was the source of numerous disparaging insults related to sexuality, and I don’t appreciate it.

So you’re willing to understand if it was a stranger, but because it’s me, nah fuck that guy we don’t like him. Justified.

No, I’ve never played along with the joke and was entirely unaware of it and would disinterested in participating. But no, it’s not because you said the word “cock.” It’s the context.

Well, what I’m telling you is that before I was ever out, I was “out” as a Coldplay fan and I was made fun of for it by people like you with your not homophobic jokes. And I don’t like them.

Furthermore, just because you might acknowledge that something is ok to say now does not mean it’s right (ten years ago progressive people would still describe something dumb as gay). I remember here being called self-righteous for not admitting I was gay because I stood out against using the term “butt-hurt” as I found it homophobic. Here’s a good take on that, now: Can We Please Stop Using the Term “Butthurt”? – Persephone Magazine

So you can listen or you can choose to just say that I’m the poster you don’t like. That’s whatever.

I'm aware of the humor you're referring to; most infamously with the "You know how I know you're gay?" material that was viewed by heterosexuals,as harmless 10+ years ago but was clearly insensitive.

And I know that Coldplay is considered lightweight, lame, etc. by people inside and outside this forum.

All I'm trying to clarify is that, post-2009, we were putting "cock" into a plethora of band names, song titles, album titles, band member names, etc. So I guess I'm not seeing the difference between Shuttlecock, Cockplay, The Beatoffs, whatever, and how one of those would be viewed as intentionally homophobic and the others not. I mean, we were literally using names like Harry Muffin Jr. and Fanny Patois; do you truly believe those were meant to be emasculating or implying some kind of femininity or homosexuality?

If this specific joke bothers you, I won't use it anymore; it's no skin off my back. I just resent the accusation that people around here were using insensitive language recklessly, because I think you're way off.

And for the record, I've always been bothered by the term butt-hurt because I know very well what it implies. And I don't remember using it myself,. Sorry if I did not speak up in solidarity if you were protesting it yourself.

I'm aware of the humor you're referring to; most infamously with the "You know how I know you're gay?" material that was viewed by heterosexuals,as harmless 10+ years ago but was clearly insensitive.

And I know that Coldplay is considered lightweight, lame, etc. by people inside and outside this forum.

All I'm trying to clarify is that, post-2009, we were putting "cock" into a plethora of band names, song titles, album titles, band member names, etc. So I guess I'm not seeing the difference between Shuttlecock, Cockplay, The Beatoffs, whatever, and how one of those would be viewed as intentionally homophobic and the others not. I mean, we were literally using names like Harry Muffin Jr. and Fanny Patois; do you truly believe those were meant to be emasculating or implying some kind of femininity or homosexuality?

If this specific joke bothers you, I won't use it anymore; it's no skin off my back. I just resent the accusation that people around here were using insensitive language recklessly, because I think you're way off.

And for the record, I've always been bothered by the term butt-hurt because I know very well what it implies. And I don't remember using it myself,. Sorry if I did not speak up in solidarity if you were protesting it yourself.

Well I apologize if there's some inside joke that clearly I missed out on. I didn't even look at your username, I was flat out just disavowing the term.

Keep in mind, it was in recent history that I had someone explain to me what shuttlecock even was. Tbh, I still don't even get it/I've forgot. I still don't know which threat is which, don't get the whole "Lance's mom" thing, and for the most part don't know the majority of the inside jokes here. The former half of my time on this forum in my life was turbulent and hardly spent making relationships with many people here. Regarding the term "butt-hurt," I'm sure I've said it myself. Nobody is going to be proud about themselves if they go back and read half the shit they've said.

In general, the spirit of calling a band "lightweight" or "lame" is what is going to end up having this type of misunderstanding anyways. Reading back, you're doing the whole unoriginal "disparage Coldplay fans for liking Coldplay" thing, and people were responding to you telling you that this isn't the "music laz likes" thread. It's really not hard to just ignore that someone likes something you don't, or at least to just be nice about it. This is reality versus actuality. I'm not in on your joke, so your joke goes over my head and reads as offensive.

Let's make up/move on/be better. I'm sorry for making it seem as though you were recklessly using insensitive language (good way to put it).

I don't want anyone to feel disparaged, but man, I find it insanely hard to believe that anyone that's been here as long as you have, LN7, could have missed that pretty much ALL bands, regardless of "coolness" status have a Shuttlecockesque name in B&C.

Like Hewson said, whether or not the joke is played out at this point (I was never really part of it, so it's never registered with me as one thing or another), it's SUCH a part of Interference lore, at this point, it's hard to ever even see it as anything but the actual band name.

Trying to figure out if Drab Majesty write their own music or if they just found a vault of unreleased Sisters of Mercy albums recorded around 1984.

Even if that were true, aren't you happy for it?

I don't want anyone to feel disparaged, but man, I find it insanely hard to believe that anyone that's been here as long as you have, LN7, could have missed that pretty much ALL bands, regardless of "coolness" status have a Shuttlecockesque name in B&C.

Again, I didn’t even know what the difference is. It was very recently that someone explained to me what “the other place” even meant.

I dont really know what to tell you though. Believe it or not lol. I doubt I’m the only one. I guarantee you can trace my first post in one to something probably around 2016, when most niche threads began to die.

If you’re not in on a joke, you’re not in on a joke. And if you’re compartmented from a specific sub forum or topic, you’ll rarely see it. Keep in mind that certain members don’t post in certain sub forums.

To make matters even more complicated, I read active content on web forums, and do not even typically know what sub forum I’m in.

Last edited:
One thing we can all agree on is this quote from Coldplay is embarrassing:

“For the last 100 years or thereabouts we have been working on a thing called Everyday Life,” the band wrote in a letter to fans.

They're releasing an "experimental" double album. Maybe they'll branch out and make music for vodka commercials instead of movie trailers. Either way, there's going to be over 80 minutes of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom