Pick the Best Music of 2007!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All My Friends FTW. It's like one of those epic New Order tracks but even more intense. Someone Great is a choice cut, but it doesn't go anywhere and just doesn't reach the same level of transcendence.

AMF=Song of the year.

lazarus said:
Congrats, IMP, you might be the only person who actually liked that Clap Your Hands album.

I just recently rediscovered it. It's a lot more enjoyable than Panda Bear or Animal Collective or a lot of the other tripe I gave a shot this year.

lazarus said:
All My Friends FTW. It's like one of those epic New Order tracks but even more intense. Someone Great is a choice cut, but it doesn't go anywhere and just doesn't reach the same level of transcendence.

AMF=Song of the year.

Even the Franz Ferdinand cover is still pretty good, but not as close to as great as the original.

Thanks to everyone for such great lists. I had a lot of stuff mentioned on here, but did not have even more....so I went and bought a lot of it today and will listen over the next few weeks. Looking forward to it!

No wonder it took me so long to put this together. I just about wrote a novel :lol: I'll post it in a few parts.

Best albums of 2007:

10. Andrew Bird—Armchair Apocrypha
Key Tracks: Heretics, Plasticities, Imitosis

I’d label Andrew Bird my favorite “new” artist of the year. I discovered him by accident on a blog I don’t read too often, and I loved his intoxicating, melodic songs. There’s something in his voice that slightly reminds me of what I like about Thom Yorke’s voice, even though I’d by no means compare him at all to Radiohead. I’m looking forward to digging in to his back catalog in 2008. I absolutely love about half of this album and am less crazy about the other half, which is why it comes in tenth.

9. The Arcade Fire—Neon Bible
Key Tracks: Keep the Car Running, My Body Is A Cage, Antichrist Television Blues

I listened to this album a lot when it leaked and when it first came out, but it’s not one I’ve listened to a lot more recently. It’s a great album, and a stellar follow-up to Funeral, but I felt a little oversaturated by them after awhile. I’d still call it the best album of the first quarter of 2007, though, and I’m hoping I get the chance to finally see the Arcade Fire in the coming year.

8. Spoon—Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga, Ga
Key Tracks: You Got Yr. Cherry Bombs, Black Like Me, Eddie’s Ragga

This was a great summer album. I only started listening to Spoon when Gimme Fiction came out, but this album is both a catchy and consistent follow-up. It also gave me one of the songs on my soundtrack to summer, You Got Yr. Cherry Bombs. I don’t know Spoon’s back catalog well enough to judge exactly how this album compares to their others, but I definitely know I’ll be checking out more from them.

7. Various Artists—I’m Not There Soundtrack
Key Tracks: All Along the Watchtower (Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers), Goin’ To Acapulco (Jim James and Calexico), Simple Twist of Fate (Jeff Tweedy)

I picked this one up fairly recently, and I’m still digesting it, but the first disc alone is worth the purchase if you haven’t checked it out yet. It can be hard to cover Bob Dylan, but the wide range of artists here (ranging from Willie Nelson to Yo La Tengo to Sufjan Stevens) blend a bit of Dylan with their own style. One of the things that works best, I think, is that many of the songs aren’t Dylan’s best known tracks, and Calexico and the Million Dollar Bashers (including Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo, Wilco’s Nels Cline, and Television’s Tom Verlaine) are both excellent as the “house bands” for many tracks. It’s the best soundtrack of the year, in my opinion—Dylan for those who might not like Dylan’s voice, Dylan reinvented for those who already love him.

6. Kanye West—Graduation
Key Tracks: Good Morning (intro), Stronger, Flashing Lights

Kanye West has grown up. Graduation is his most mature, lyrically sophisticated album yet (the other tracks are so well written that I’ll even forgive him for the vapid Drunk and Hot Girls). “Some people graduate, but we still stupid,” he says in the album’s opening track, but elsewhere he shows that he’s not afraid to learn from his mistakes. Definitely his best album yet, and the one that’s turned me into a true Kanye West fan.

5. Feist—The Reminder
Key Tracks: The Park, Brandy Alexander, I Feel It All

I just picked this up last weekend, but I absolutely love it after only a few listens. There’s not a bad track on the album (unless you got the iTunes version with the shitty “exclusive” remixes), and here Feist proves she’s so much more than the whimsical voice behind that iPod commercial. Consistent, varied, and deeply reflective—this album bowled me over from the first listen.

4. Amy Winehouse—Back To Black
Key Tracks: Rehab, Me and Mr. Jones, Tears Dry On Their Own

I bought this album expecting it to be a fluffy guilty pleasure. I never imagined I’d enjoy it as much as I have this year. This is one of those times when I’ve really had to struggle to separate the artist from the album; I think it’s a damn shame that Amy Winehouse’s life seems headed in the direction of a train wreck, but she’s got an amazingly soulful voice and writes far richer songs than I’d expect someone so young to be able to do. She’s one of the most talented of this newest batch of female artists, but only time will tell if she’s able to pull herself together enough to produce another album of this caliber. Regardless, this one’s a gem.

3. The Nels Cline Singers—Draw Breath
Key Tracks: Confection, The Angel of Angels, Mixed Message

This is the album that won’t show up on anyone else’s list this year, I bet. Like many, prior to this summer, I just thought Nels Cline was the tall new guy in Wilco. Then someone sent me a copy of this album, and it completely blew me away. Cline is the best guitarist out there today, as he shows on this diverse, big-hearted album that features both wildly experimental tracks and quieter ballads. Don’t let the band’s name fool you; the Singers are an instrumental jazz trio. If you’re looking for something a little different to start off 2008, check this one out. I have a hunch Nels Cline will leave you in awe, too.

2. Radiohead—In Rainbows
Key Tracks: All I Need, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Videotape

I’m shocked I like this album as much as I do. I bought it when it came out because I admired the risk Radiohead was taking. I’ve been listening to it a lot, though, and I can say it’s honestly the first Radiohead album I’ve ever really loved. Maybe I’ll have to give their back catalog another chance.

1. Wilco—Sky Blue Sky
Key tracks: Either Way, You Are My Face, On and On and On

No surprises here for anyone who’s been paying attention to my posts in this forum since summer. It killed me to wait the two months from the time the album leaked until it officially came out, but I managed not to listen to it, and I definitely feel like it was worth the wait. Is this Wilco’s best album? No. Is it the very best album of 2007? Maybe not. But I feel like it’s a breakthrough for Jeff Tweedy in terms of his songwriting (there’s a level of acceptance and an ability to cope with things in these songs that hasn’t been in his lyrics before), and this is the collection of songs that made the most sense to me this year. If I had to pick one line from one song to describe my 2007, it would be from You Are My Face: “Happenstance has changed my plans so many times.” 2007 seemed to teach me that more than any other year of my life, and I’m grateful to Wilco for giving me the soundtrack to such a big year of changes and growth.

Honorable Mention:
Kings of Leon, Because Of the Times
I’ve loved watching this band mature with every album. This was another one I listened to a lot early in the year, then didn’t play a lot after the summer, but it’s another solid album from a sorely underrated band (in the U.S., at least; I’m glad to see them getting the attention they deserve overseas).

Most Underwhelming Album of 2007:
Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger
An underwhelming Ryan Adams album is still better than many other albums (if I did a top 15, it would’ve appeared), but I was expecting a lot more from this album. It’s got some stellar tracks, but it’s got some real snoozers, too, in my opinion. Two is still one of my favorite songs of the year, though.

Most Overrated Album of 2007:
Modest Mouse—We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
It’s not awful—in fact, I think the addition of Johnny Marr helped the band improve from its trying too hard to be clever and popular Good News For People Who Love Bad News—but it was the final nail in the coffin of that brilliant trio Modest Mouse used to be. What a shame

There are also a few albums I haven’t gotten around to listening to yet, most notably Bruce Springsteen’s Magic, Lucinda Williams’s West, and Alison Krause and Robert Plant’s Raising Sand.

Pitchfork picks All My Friends as Best Track of the Year:

"Fidgety piano chords played with clunky imprecision, a ticking rhythm section, and an opening line worthy of a great novel-- so begins our favorite song of 2007. Like most of LCD Soundsystem's future Best of candidates, "All My Friends" starts out handling like a rickety shopping cart and ends up blazing like a house on fire. What's special about this one is the story that plays out in between; where James Murphy used to take perverse pleasure in making up his lyrics on the spot, this is proof that he's too sharp a writer to leave his words to chance. "All My Friends" is about a lot of things-- guilt, drugs, the weight of expectation-- but mostly, it's about aging, about how the template for growing older is melting away, and about what decisions we make for ourselves in light of such lowered expectations. This is a song about building a compass, and for Murphy, that journey not only starts with his friends: it ends there, too. --Mark Pytlik"

Stereogum's list was a bit more democratic than other sites... allowing their "Gummy" awards to be decided by visitors of the blog. Check it here.

As for Pitchfork, or Bitchfork as some of the self-convinced witmasters call it, I think most people's contention is with the presence of a number-based rating system. Aside from that, the site is still one of the most easily accessible platforms for new music (obscure, debut, or mainstream), and they tend not to shoulder favorites like NME or some of the online Brit-rags. As long as folks do not invest their entire decision-making process in the rating attached to an album, Pitchfork is a useful tool. Take a look at the individual reviewer's lists if you want a broader spectrum of great songs from 2007 that may have been overlooked by the pooled list.

Pinball Wizard said:
Stereogum's list was a bit more democratic than other sites... allowing their "Gummy" awards to be decided by visitors of the blog. Check it here.

Pretty good list, actually. Also agree on your comments.

Popmatters, who I usually like as a review site, put up their list today. It covers everything it should, but the order is kind of strange/annoying for my tastes.
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/52152/the-best-albums-of-2007

I have an idea for a good way to establish what B&C frequenters favorite albums were, on average, for the year. It'd be a good way to create a definitive year end list encompassing what we've all already said in this thread. I'm completely stealing it from The Onion:

For this year's best-of music poll, we asked the 19 writers who regularly contribute to our music coverage to spread 100 points across their favorite discs. No disc could receive more than 15 points per writer, and each writer's main list could be no longer than 15 items.

Does that make sense? Who would be interested in doing this? I'm thinking twenty or so of us could get a good number. I'd be happy to compile it all too. Let me know what you guys think.

Alright well, it's on then. I just completed mine.

So if you weren't pay attention, here's what you have to do:

1. Pick you favorite 15 albums of the year.

2. You have 100 points to distribute as you see fit to those albums. You may give no album more than 15 points.

3. Send in your lists with a number 1-15 next to each album to (email address removed per inmyplace13's request) when you get a chance. (They're tremendously easy to make, so it shouldn't take long).

4. I'll compile the results and post the top 40 or so albums according the B&C frequenters.

The more people we get doing this, the more fun it will be. We won't get interesting results without a lot of participation, so get those lists in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent mine in. Excluded my second favorite album this year since there's so little chance that anyone else on the forums had heard of it ( Poison Control Center FTW - www.myspace.com/thepcc ), but other than that it's a pretty representative list as far as I'm concerned. After the top 5 or 6 it was hard to choose which albums made the cut, though - great year for music.

Hopefully the new Elliott Smith album counts, 'cause it took up a good amount of my points. :wink:

SeattleVertigo said:
IMP, do you have a deadline? I'm still going through some albums before I'm ready to compile my list -- but will speed up if I know there's a deadline.

Let's shoot for Friday.

Alright, how about the 28th?

I'd really like as many entries as possible, so I think ten days ought to work well.

Anu, you guys should feel free to use the results when you make that year-end deal. It'll be the best indicator of the musical pulse of B&C.

I've got four entries tallied up now. Get your submissions into me stat.

Stat means now!

lazarus said:
Yeah, but fuck them for forgetting about Super Furry Animals once again.

And Okkervil River should have been higher.

I agree to both veredicts, OR album is in my top 10 (coming soon my top 50 in my blog with a song to download per album)

Thanks so much IMP for doing this!!

My email and internet access are sketchy until the end of the year, but "Hippy" is going to take over to compile our piece. I will try to post some kind of rough draft or something of that sort today or soon.

rock on!

Back
Top Bottom