Official Cricket Thread Part 104 off 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
England looked comfortable even with ten overs to go. They've only themselves to blame for the final result. A bit more tight bowling and they would've held on for the win. Woakes for instance sent down some really soft deliveries at crucial moments and allowed Australia to ease the pressure.

Oh my god, in the BBL semi, a delivery from Richardson just got stuck in Wessels' helmet grille!

I'm sure it's about to be the subject of a thousand gifs.

And now wicketkeeper Ludeman's cap has been knocked off by a ball deflected off the bat! :lol:

Hahahaha that's wonderful!

Meanwhile Adelaide looking pretty fucked in this semi.

It's funny we won most of our matches and now it's the SF and we're struggling. Forgot the match was on until recently so fair enough I don't have a strong investment.

Wow, that was an absolute drubbing.

Seems teams that finish top have a habit of bowing out straight away - Melbourne Stars know all about it. Honestly, if this tournament is going to become firmly established (which, with a record Adelaide Oval crowd you'd suggest it is) and not be seen as a fad, it needs a better, less simplistic finals system. If you finish top you deserve a double chance.

Ross Taylor runs Kane Williamson out simply because Taylor was too busy ball watching to push for a 2. It's Inzamam-esque. Even worse, Williamson was on bloody 97!

At least Taylor got to 96 himself to make up for it. He needed to perform - of late he's not been at his best. He's obviously a very talented player and I think the people suggesting he be dropped from the World Cup squad are out of their minds, but I hope somebody's telling him a few home truths and that he's actually listening.

Anyway, 316 should be a quite defendable total.

Oh and can we all give my man Vettori a big applause for receiving his 280th ODI cap, the most of any Kiwi ever. What a fucking legend. :up:

It was a pretty odd innings? McCullum out for a duck, both Williamson and Taylor out in the late 90s to fairly avoidable events? I thought Taylor getting out on 96 was karma for running Williamson out. :lol:

I reckon for the last match they should try Latham opening with McCullum.

For a bloke who's been so dominant of late, McCullum's been pretty quiet this series. And we really do need to settle on an opening combination. At the moment it seems like our best knocks keep coming from those batting third to seventh.

Hope we can get some early wickets to really put some heat on the Sri Lankans. This target's more achievable than the last, so if somebody like Dilshan gets away again, they might be harder to contain.

I thought he was going to have a big series. Really fast 50 in the first match, big century in the second, mostly mid 20s scores afterwards. But I'm guessing that's just how he is.

Oh yeah, I suppose he can't perform miracles all the time. If he saves his best for the World Cup that's fine by me! I honestly feel weird with some of the hype around the Black Caps or this feeling of cautious optimism about our Cup chances. It's not something I'm used to! Normally I tend to think "well if we make it out of the group stages that's a victory". Of course we actually have been to the semis the equal-most amount of times, six, but often that's been sheer good luck.

Though come on guys, let's take some wickets today. Sure Sri Lanka's scoring a bit too slowly at the moment but if we can snare a couple of wickets that'll really choke them up.

RRR is already up to 7. Even when they build good partnerships the RR is still not good enough for a target such as this.

Ten years ago, sure, but with T20's influence, if Sri Lanka simply hold wickets through to the 35th or 40th over and then unleash, they could chase down a total even if they need seven or eight runs an over.

That said, there go two quick wickets! Of course it's now brought Sangakkara and Jayawardene to the crease, who are always a dangerous pair. As wonderful as they are to watch, I hope they don't linger too long today!

Fuckdamnit, Mahela given out but overturned on review.

Oh bloody hell, Mahela reviews ANOTHER dismissal off Vettori and gets it overturned!

Then he gets taken out by Anderson. :lol:

It's actually quite funny, I hadn't noticed how angry and frustrated Mahela can get on the field. In the NZ innings you could hear him shouting and complaining a lot.

If sport was fair, Jayawardene's wicket would be credited to Vettori as well as Anderson. It was the unrelenting pressure from Vettori that brought about the dismissal.

Sri Lanka need 166 off 20 overs, which you'd back most T20 teams to do - but of course not with four wickets already down. Hopefully the Black Caps have this under control.

Oh my god, suicidal run by Chandimal sees another wicket fall thanks to Vettori's pressure. Fuck he's so good.

I like Vettori simply for the fact that he wears glasses on the field.

Fuck me that's one of the funniest dismissals I've seen in a long time. The look on Sanga's face! And the ball was even thrown into the wrong end too!

Corey Anderson's having a great all rounder's match. Quick 40 and 4/45.

No kidding!

Oh I am enjoying this. Miss Dunedin too. All these shots of University Oval make me want to go right back.

Sanga's goooone! Great knock, looked like the only person who could salvage this for SL and his batting partners just kept getting out, dropping their bats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom