name the worst song on your favourite album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:

Yeah, I was about to say, everything Radiohead have done Post-OK is almost directly a result of Up. Another good reason for Brau to hate Post-Berry R.E.M. :wink:

If only RH were 1/5th that talented.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You need to start off with Monster, THAT is their Pop.

Yeah... that's right. Monster is their Pop. New Adventures is REM boldly going where U2 didn't go with ATYCLB.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief are a result of Up?

I can't see it, sorry.

Well if you consider Hail to The theif a result of Kid A/Amnesiac than it's true. Thom Yorke said so himself.

Leave is totally and utterly sublime.

It's the perfect song for the introduction of the Post-Berry era.

Lancemc said:

Well if you consider Hail to The theif a result of Kid A/Amnesiac than it's true. Thom Yorke said so himself.

Hail is a watered down version of both with some shit stirred in for good measure.

I really, really, really hope LP7 is better than that album. It has good songs, (2+2=5, There There, Where I End and You Begin, Sail to the Moon) but is a pain to listen to all of the way.

I can see Amnesiac being inspired by Up. Kid A reminds me more of Aphex Twin than anything.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You need to start off with Monster, THAT is their Pop.

Automatic = later career masterpiece, EG Achtung Baby

Monster = bizarre experiment many didn't enjoy, EG Zooropa

Up = schizophrenic, tape-loop driven album despised by many, EG POP.

Sorry, don't see it. All three of those are really good IMO.

LemonMelon said:

Sorry, don't see it.

If you see it that way, than yes, you're right.

But Monster is R.E.M. with fuzz and bells and whistles, so is Pop. Plus, judging by Atomic's other tastes, Monster is totally up her alley.

wow can I get on some of that R.E.M recommendations...I've tried for years to get into them....where should I start???:wink:

LemonMelon said:

actually you're right. Up is more like Pop. in that sense at least.

LemonMacPhisto said:

If you see it that way, than yes, you're right.

But Monster is R.E.M. with fuzz and bells and whistles, so is Pop. Plus, judging by Atomic's other tastes, Monster is totally up her alley.

:hmm: Possibly. I can definitely see how U2 and REM were rivals around this time, very much a Beatles/Beach Boys kind of thing happening, where one album inspires another, except probably not as direct.

Reveal is ATYCLB?

I can see the rivalry thing too, but it's friendly right. At least I hope it is.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Reveal is ATYCLB?

That's actually a pretty fair comparison too. It's actually quite remarkable how closely the two bands' careers have paralleled one another.

Lancemc said:

That's actually a pretty fair comparison too. It's actually quite remarkable how closely the two bands' careers have paralleled one another.

Berry's depature
Larry's replacement by a robot who decided to grow a mullet and never smile again.

I made an REM recommendations thread not long ago. :happy: You all recommended Life's Rich Pageant. :up:

@Screwtape, based on your tastes, I would recommend Document.

xaviMF22 said:
the only album I own by them is out of time...

where should I go next??

Go with Automatic for the People and Life's Rich Pageant for the best of both decades. Then if you like both go for New Adventures in Hi-Fi form the WB years and Document or Fables from the IRS years.

Back
Top Bottom