MERGED --> Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth + David Lee Roth is back in Van Halen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We could speculate all we want about Eddie showing up or not at the HOF ceremony, but the simple fact is that we will have to wait until March 12th. If Eddie doesn't show up to the ceremony, I believe he will be doing the Van Halen product irreparable damage. The ceremony is not just for Van Halen, it's for the Van Halen fans as well. Without the fans, they would be nothing.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/08/eddie-van-halen-checks-into-rehab/

Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab
Posted Mar 8th 2007 5:52PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music

The long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

http://www.vhnd.com/articles/070308-01.shtml

Roth not allowed to perform at gala honoring the band
March 8th, 2007

Of the original band, only deposed bassist Michael Anthony will appear at the induction ceremony.
By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
March 9, 2007

How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ... " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a lavish New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

David Lee Roth, the band's frontman for its first decade, said Thursday he will not attend the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ceremony because event officials have turned down his repeated overtures to perform.

"I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience. "So it appears this is a television producer's decision," Roth said.

The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what lineup of Van Halen could take the stage to perform with Roth. Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. The Van Halens have been in lock-down mode since their plans for a summer reunion tour with Roth collapsed last month. Roth said he last spoke to Eddie Van Halen's camp a week ago, and he said he could not determine the truth about reports that the guitarist is seeking help for alcohol problems.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man.... What's happening here with this [New York event] is part and parcel of the same spiral that screwed up the tour."

Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with bass player Michael Anthony, who is the lone founding member expected to attend, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil, who logged more than a decade as the band's frontman. Hagar confirmed Thursday he is attending.

Roth said Thursday he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite, the media and a television audience that will be watching the ceremony live on VH1 Classics.

"It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."

The other inductees this year are R.E.M., Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and the Ronettes. The 2007 inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after their first recording was released. The ceremony will also be streamed live on AOL at spinner.aol.com/rockhall.

:sad:

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing...I mean I'm glad that Eddie is going to try to clean up, but once he sobers up what's going to happen with Dave?

And if he sobers up and gets his shit back together is there a chance that he'll invite Michael Anthony back in?

:shrug:

Once Eddie's cleaned up ... I wonder if he will ever be able to reunite with Valerie ?? :hmm:
Since they were married for almost 25 years before divorcing ... that's really sad that he messed up his marriage to her as well. :tsk:

MsMofoGone said:
Once Eddie's cleaned up ... I wonder if he will ever be able to reunite with Valerie ?? :hmm:
Since they were married for almost 25 years before divorcing ... that's really sad that he messed up his marriage to her as well. :tsk:

Supposedly he is engaged to his publicist. So I dont think him and Val are getting back together.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
:sad:
And if he sobers up and gets his shit back together is there a chance that he'll invite Michael Anthony back in?

:shrug:

I doubt it. Eddie has wanted Michael Anthony out of the band since 1982. They thought about replacing him with Billy Sheehan at that time. After the 1984 tour they were considering the same thing again supposedly. But Roth left so they decided to keep as much of the band together as they could as a result. (Plus Roth obviously hired Sheehan)

What Eddie seems to fail to understand is his fan base (which he hasnt understood since the mid 80's). Michael Anthony is a fan favorite and they love him because he is one of the few in the band that seems to have it together and is down to earth.

The way Roth is still talking I think the plan is still to reunite. IF Eddie can get it together. I think the substance abuse is alot of Ed's problem. He also has an ego problem that he needs to get over. Because I can see him getting himself together possibly and then having his ego take over again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Reunion tour with Dave in 2008? Could happen, still not holding my breath.

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i15983

God Ends His Silence On The Van Halen Controversy. "It's All Eddie's Fault!"
Written by Cory Withers The First
Story written: 10 March 2007
Email this story Print this story

The Real God is ruluctant, but willing, to put the smack-down on a "Guitar-God." After many years and many conflicting verdicts from the Court of Public Opinion, none other than God Almighty has decided to weigh in on the 25 year-long Van Halen saga with a final decision.

TheSpoof.com's editorial board has decided not to risk damning their own souls to eternity in hell by editing God's statement in any way. So here it is, published in it's entirety: THE WORD OF GOD!

"Hi, everyone! It's me, God. Look, ya'll know that I'm not much of a micro-manager. I guess ya'll also know by my use of the word "ya'll," that I am in fact, from the South. Oh, well. One more mystery solved. Here's another bombshell: I love classic rock! I have kept quiet on this whole "Van Halen: Who's To Blame?" thing from the beginning. I was hoping ya'll could figure it out for yourselves. But it looks like it's time for me to once and for all, render a final verdict, so ya'll can quit arguing about the whole thing. So here goes:

IT'S ALL EDDIE'S FAULT!

That's right. I place all the blame for all the problems in America's greatest party band squarely on the shoulders of none other than guitarist Eddie Van Halen! Now, I know, I know, there's plenty of blame to go around; and I'll get to that. But the sins of the other band members were all reactionary sins to Edward's original sin. What sin is that, you ask? He's a jerk. There, I said it. Eddie Van Halen is a jerk. Sure, original lead singer David Lee Roth is a little too much of a showboat and second lead singer, Sammy Hagar, may have occasionally been an enabler, and we can't overlook that former bassist Michael Anthony is fat. And don't even get me started on how drummer Alex Van Halen acts more like a little brother, when so many times I wish he'd have done his big brotherly duty and smacked the crap out of Eddie and told him to shape up. But like I said, these things were just the results of Eddie being a jerk.

Don't think I lack sympathy for Eddie. I know he's a drunk, and I know he's in rehab...AGAIN! But, dangit, the guy's 52 years old! He should have worked through most of this stuff by now. I mean, who smokes cigarettes after they've had tongue cancer? Who kicks a founding member out of the band and replaces him with his 15 year old son? (Even if he is fat.) Who screws up a marriage to an eternally hot babe like that One Day at a Time chick? And worst of all, who can stand side-by-side with Diamond David Lee Roth and make Dave look like the mature one by comparison? Eddie Van Halen, that's who!

So here are my direct orders to Eddie Van Halen: Eddie, this is your last chance. Stay off the bottle, throw away the Marlboros, fire your son, rehire the fat guy, let the blond singer and the curly-blond singer take turns as your front-man, and most of all: QUIT BEING SUCH A JERK! The world needs Rock'n'Roll, and the world needs you! And if you do ever get the band back on tour, in any shape or form, don't forget who your friends are. I know a guy (me) who sure would love two tickets in the first three rows and maybe even some backstage passes, if you can swing it.

Righteously,

God"

Eddie Van Halen was unavailable for comment. Alex Van Halen was too scared to comment. Sammy Hagar's phone was out service, since he's all the way down in Cabo, Mexico. Michael Anthony was away at dinner, thus unavailable for comment. The third singer could not be reached for comment because nobody remembers his name or how to contact him. And finally, David Lee Roth was all too ready to comment, but nobody cared or understood what he had to say, so it won't even be printed; but it is known that whatever he said rhymed and was followed by the sound of him laughing at whatever it was he said.

The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious

:bump:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Van Halen has reunited with the group's original singer David Lee Roth for their first tour together in more than 20 years, they announced on Monday.

The 25-date trek begins on September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and wraps up on December 11 in the Canadian city of Calgary. Key stops include Chicago (October 16, 18), New York City (November 13) and their native Los Angeles (November 20)

Sept. 27: Charlotte, N.C. (Bobcats Arena)
Sept. 29: Greensboro, N.C. (Coliseum)
Oct. 1: Philadelphia (Wachovia Center)
Oct. 7: Toronto (Air Canada Centre)
Oct. 10: Cleveland (Quicken Loans Arena)
Oct. 14: Indianapolis (Conseco Fieldhouse)
Oct. 16: Chicago (Allstate Arena)
Oct. 18: Chicago (United Center)
Oct. 22: Auburn Hills, Mich. (Palace of Auburn Hills)
Oct. 24: Minneapolis (Target Center)
Oct. 26: Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center)
Oct. 28: St. Louis (Scottrade Center)
Oct. 30: Boston (TD Banknorth Garden)
Nov. 3: East Rutherford, N.J. (Continental Airlines Arena)
Nov. 13: New York (Madison Square Garden)
Nov. 20: Los Angeles (Staples Center)
Nov. 23: Glendale, Ariz. (Jobing.com Arena)
Nov. 25: San Diego (Cox Arena)
Nov. 27: Sacramento, Calif. (Arco Arena)
Nov. 29: San Jose, Calif. (HP Pavilion)
Dec. 1: Portland, Ore. (Rose Garden)
Dec. 3: Seattle (Key Arena)
Dec. 5: Vancouver (GM Place)
Dec. 9: Edmonton, Alberta (Rexall Palace)
Dec. 11: Calgary, Alberta (Pengrowth Saddledome)

Last edited:
tpsreports2424 said:
Why would they play at the united center one night then the all state arena the other night in chicago? they're like 45 minutes apart from each other!

Well so is Madison Square Garden and Continental Arena in the NYC area (actually less if traffic is OK), and other bands do that all the time (like U2). Also I remember Springsteen a couple of tours ago playing (what was then) the First Union Center in Philly and moving one night the 100 yds. to the Spectrum because of scheduling issues. So, not that off the wall...

Last edited:
tpsreports2424 said:
Why would they play at the united center one night then the all state arena the other night in chicago? they're like 45 minutes apart from each other!
I assume it has to do with scheduling around the Blackhawks and other events.

Oct 30, and probably an added date in Boston, here we come.

Originally posted by tpsreports2424
Why would they play at the united center one night then the all state arena the other night in chicago?

Originally posted by ntalwar
Oct. 16: Chicago (Allstate Arena)
Oct. 18: Chicago (United Center)

It's because the Wolves games are scheduled at the Allstate Arena close to that time period as well.
I know it takes almost 12 hours to 'set-up' the hockey rink ... which includes the following:
1) putting up the plasti-glass paneling around the perimeter of the rink
2) dropping the netting to block the flying pucks in the air
3) and last, peeling up the floor tiles to expose the ice flooring

But also, it takes another 24 hours before the cooling system completely freezes the water (into ice) on the rink floor.

So, they couldn't possibly schedule another date for the 18th at the Allstate, if the Wolves are playing there on the 19th.
It's probably the same reason why the first date is on the 16th at the Allstate (and not sooner to compensate putting BOTH dates at the Allstate) ... as the Wolves have a game on the 13th too.
There's simply NOT enough of a time-frame to change the arena from a 'concert stage' setting to an 'ice hockey' setting.

There's your answer. :up:

Their site has been redeisigned (the rehab message from EVH had been the only thing visible since March), full launch in Sept, but interesting that currently the border is album covers, but all Sammy & Gary stuff is conspicuous by its absence. And the history goes from the releas of "1984" straight to the RnR HoF induction, just wiped out 22 years of history.

www.van-halen.com

I made up a Van Halen poster for Facebook if anyone is interested. I made a collage from different parts of their website. You need the YourSpace, or Big Photo applications on Facebook to post your own photos etc. It's not perfect but I did it quite fast.

4kkk7r5.jpg

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Roth's voice is shot :(

:lol: His voice has been shot for 30+ years now...Dave has never had a great voice and he knows it.

I've seen some stuff on Youtube and I must say he don't sound any different than the last time I saw him 20 years ago...:no:

I will be at the 11/27...:rockon:

Slipstream said:
I made up a Van Halen poster for Facebook if anyone is interested. I made a collage from different parts of their website. You need the YourSpace, or Big Photo applications on Facebook to post your own photos etc. It's not perfect but I did it quite fast.

4kkk7r5.jpg

Nice...:up:

The great thing about Van Halen...they are 180 from U2....and I need that perspective every now and then.

Also, did you like the way Dave kept needling U2/Bono...:lol: U2 are VH's peers now...actually they are the model of a successful long term 'Rock Band' these day...:yes:

I will be there for this one. Looking forward to it. Will either be a train wreck or will be great. Either way its a must see! :lol:

I saw Dave solo about 5 years ago and he had the same voice as when I saw him with VH in 1984. What will be interesting is if the new album thing happens after the tour. I'm very skeptical on that. Dave and Eddie on the same stage is pushing the envelope as it is. In a little studio together for several months. :yikes: :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

His voice has been shot for 30+ years now

They might have to tune down half a step like U2 does for several songs (compared to the studio versions), but his voice should be up to the task.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Also, did you like the way Dave kept needling U2/Bono...:lol: U2 are VH's peers now...actually they are the model of a successful long term 'Rock Band' these day...:yes:

That was great to hear some U2 comments in there.

Quite honestly, the press conference seemed so phony. When somebody asked Eddie about his rehab stint, he gave a short answer and then Roth took over. Does EVH need to have DLR explaining things for him?
I was also pissed that nobody asked Eddie about the RnRHOF or missing it for that matter. Meanwhile Alex doesn't speak at all.

But, this tour will be the hottest ticket of the Fall.

MrPryck2U said:
When somebody asked Eddie about his rehab stint, he gave a short answer and then Roth took over. Does EVH need to have DLR explaining things for him?
I was also pissed that nobody asked Eddie about the RnRHOF or missing it for that matter. Meanwhile Alex doesn't speak at all.

Sounds like its 1978-1984 to me, DLR doing 98% of the talking, EVH throwing in a sentence, and Alex doing what he should do, shutting up.

Back
Top Bottom