Making your own website...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
I had the brilliant idea yesterday that I should make a website, it would give me something more constructive to do on my computer, and it just might be fun.(?)
However there is a slight problem, I haven't the first clue how to make one. I asked a few people at work, but it was too busy and they couldn't explain anything to me. I assume it can't be that difficult, because literally everyone and their mother has a website out there.
So if any of you would like to give me any advice and point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!
If you don't want to post it, you could email me too!
Thanks,
Mrs.Clayton

------------------
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

If you are just looking for one of those free sites, I first started my website back in 1997 with Tripod when I knew nothing about HTML. They offer templates and stuff that make it easier to just enter your information and have them write the HTML for you. I would imagine that places like Geocities and Angelfire would do that as well. You could also look up "HTML" at a search engine to get help. Another tip is to go up to "View" and select "Source" (that's how it is in IE, I'm not sure about Netscape), and it will allow you to view the HTML code of other sites (you can copy and paste it then).

Hope that helps!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

I have my own website at Geocities. Yeah, yeah, techies hate it, but it's good enough for someone just starting out. You can use their tools to construct your page without having to learn HTML. Like I said, it's not the best option for major computer people, but it has worked out just fine for my amateur page.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

I have a website -- I'm really into web design, and I just learned a couple years ago. If you want to start basic, try going to Annabella's. She has a very simple, very easy to understand site and that is where I first learned HTML
smile.gif
After a while, if you have mastered that, and want to get more advanced, I recommend www.webmonkey.com and www.lissaexplains.com
smile.gif

As for graphics.. www.download.com has free programs that can make graphics. However, unless you want to spend money, you have to just download free trial versions.
frown.gif
It's not absolutely neccessary to make your own graphics, though.

As for where to put your website (Annabella's will explain that, if you don't know what I mean), I recommend www.geocities.com or www.envy.nu. Let me know if you need any more help
smile.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Mrs. Clayton!

When I made my first website, I had no inkling what html was. At least now that you post on Interference, you have an idea of what it is, since you probably use the UBB code (for eg,
).

This website helped me greatly in understanding everything from a laymen's point of view: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
That is, if you want to learn html from scratch and have more freedom in designing your website, although it would consume more of your time.

There are quickfixes for designing websites, too, and these are called 'editors'. If you sign up with Geocities, they have a PageBuilder editor, and it's extremely easy to use but does have many limitations as well (ask me what they are if you choose this editor).

Other editors include Netscape Composer (comes with your browser), HotDog (http://www.sausage.com), Frontpage...

foray

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I'm not sure about Netscape

eww, but netscape sucks.

anyway, it's something similar to that, although the sucky part is, is that it just opens in a new window, not in a program like notepad (with ie) so you can't edit it if you wanted to. that's how i used to do mine.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom