Korea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe that's the real reason, or maybe that's just an excuse, I don't know. But the chairman of Perugia has obviously said something which is extremely childish regrading to the sacking. ('I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian soccer') The news report quote this from an interview, so I guess this wasn't a misquote?? I mean, I can accept that if he didn't say all these since Ahn Jung-hwan really didn't performed well in Perugia. But just don't use the lose to be an excuse.

Last edited:
Hoo boy, are they ever going to be talking about the refs in the Spain vs. Korea match...

several close offsides calls against Spain...
an incorrect out-of-bounds against Spain that nullified what would almost surely have been a goal...
Woon-Jae Lee stepping off his line too early to make the save in the shootout...

Well, whether the decisions in the Spain game were fair or not, I'm happy to see Camacho out. For goodness sake couldn't he have worn short sleeves or something?

Ok but seriously I'm happy for Korea, sad for Spain. Both teams played well and I feel particularly bad for Joaquin. I tuned in late but I saw he had troubled the Korean defence a couple of times. What a way to go. No prizes for guessing who I'm supporting in the next semi-final.

Last edited:
total shambles

2 perfectly good goals for Spain disallowed, plus a move where Luis Enrique was clean through and was also incorrectly flagged. Not to mention the officals joking, laughing and exchanging pleasantries with the coach and players of SK.

South Korea are not a team that should be in the World Cup semi finals. I have nothing against them as a team, in fact they arent bad. But this isnt football, its just not right.

150 to 1 Korea!

It would seem as I mentioned in a previous post that the soccer Gods are shining on the host nation of Korea as the team of destiny.
You have in any sport the possibilty of human error in officiating therefore them are the breaks.
You cannot blame Korea for questionable calls, there has been bad offsides calls throughout the tourny. The out of bounds call was whistled and the players stopped playing before goal. On the last penalty try Lee did come off the line but the shooter hesitated and didn't have a good shot anyway, and Fifa has never called that kind of foul.
Stop the whining and give the supreme underdog 150 to 1 before start of cup some proper credit. The Korean players fitness and teamwork has brought them to the semi's, the ref's are only a footnote.
Korea Brazil final and I think it will be an amazing final. I don't think Korea will win but I'll be routing for the biggest underdog in WC history.

Re: 150 to 1 Korea!

bellvue said:
It would seem as I mentioned in a previous post that the soccer Gods are shining on the host nation of Korea as the team of destiny.

If its the "Gods" initialed FIFA, you may well be right.

Human error is one thing, but there has been a veritable deluge of refereeing errors in this World Cup, more than I can remember in any. And it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that S. Korea have been the main benficiaries. 3 disallowed goals, 1 penalty, 1 sending off, numerous offside decisions, this may just be coincidence, but something is just not right there.

Taehanmin'guk!

Seriously, who is going to stop the koreans (and the refs)?

It has been good for the tournament, the koreans have fighted and maybe earned the wins on their spirit, it has been refreshing for the sport that at some point not the same teams win always, even if only because the level of the game, specially from the so called BIG teams has been so low, but this is seriously a bit too much, what is winning? when everyone can point out at the way it is being achieved, namely help by the refs.

Congrats yasha, and all the other Korean supporters.

Maybe I shouldn't tell this story 'cause we'll seem silly.......ah, but go on,I'll tell it.
I hadn't watched a Korean game before this evening and came along late to that. My son said, they keep singing something about Gloria. So me being me I thought......maybe U2? Van Morrison?
G.L.O.R.I.A?

Glor- ri-a ?
:idea:
Kor-re-a

Ifinally got it:D I see you mentioned it in your post
Oh~~~Pilsing!!Korea!!
Good luck:)

We've been celebrating all night! The streets were filled with cars honking and korean flags flying here and there... There was a Korean parade with drums!... I joined in and pretended I was Korean, too... Strangers gave each other the high-five... Fantastic....

Listen guys, I know Korea won by a hair's breadth, and I mean a hair's breadth... but was it really unfair? Granted Spain is formidable, but maybe tonight things just didn't go right for them, like all those off-sides and not to mention the incredible goal for Spain that could have been! (when it hit the pole).. So, was it really unfair?

Anyway, I am too happy to get into that discussion! Great game, Korea and Spain! Proud of you two!

foray

Salome said:
personally I would have to say "yes"

but I already thought this after the Korea - Italy match
What did you tought after the Spain - Ireland game ?

So last time France, the host team, won their 2nd round game in OT (1-0 against Paraguay, Laurent Blanc scoring) and they won their quarters game against Italy in a shootout.

This time Korea, a host team, won its 2nd round game against Italy in OT and won its quarters game against Spain in a shootout.

Hmm.

cloudimani said:
total shambles

2 perfectly good goals for Spain disallowed, plus a move where Luis Enrique was clean through and was also incorrectly flagged. Not to mention the officals joking, laughing and exchanging pleasantries with the coach and players of SK.

South Korea are not a team that should be in the World Cup semi finals. I have nothing against them as a team, in fact they arent bad. But this isnt football, its just not right.

the second goal was not a goal as the Koreans (esp keeper) had stopped play. The ref called the other very early.
so what if they laugh and joke? It went both ways as it does in most games.

As Mick McCarthy said, its about time those nations in Europe (and their supporters) who believe they have a superior right to be good footballers were put back in their place. Spain and Italy may have better players on paper, but on the day when it matters they did not beat the Koreans, who thoroughly deserve to be where they are.

Spain and Italy were beaten by Korea, not the referees. Its a tough pill to swallow, and ok elements of luck and taking chances favoured the Koreans - but that is what football is all about. Korea won the penalty shoot (a lottery) fairly and fully deserve to be in the semi final against germany.

Any talk otherwise is rubbish.

I just hope Spain show more repsect for their opponents in defeat than the disgraceful Italians did!

Rono said:
What did you tought after the Spain - Ireland game ?
I never saw that game

zoomerang II said:
Any talk otherwise is rubbish
I don't think there is some sort of conspiracy going on against neither Spain nor Italy
I do feel both teams lost a match to S. Korea they should/could/would have won with better refereeing

then again my girlfriend always has to tell me to clean up the rubbish

The morning after... *blink blink*

More thoughts...

I thought the players at last night's game were pretty nice to each other, on the whole, and was very pleased to see that. They were good-natured; not something I saw with the other matches. Perhaps the smiley-faced referee had something to do with setting such a tone :)

foray

There're some crazy celebration in HK yesterday too... It seems that the majority of the people in HK are supporting S.Korea. We have a large population of Koreans in my area so yesterday it was quite amazing! They went to the streets and screamed and danced. Happy to see that.

Actually I was supporting Spain during the game, since there were a lot of player in which I like a lot. I kept on screaming and cursing the referee :)p) during the game but I really don't believe the conspiracy talk, so I agree with the last post of Salomey (except for the girlfriend thing).

This game is not the only game which being called conspiracy. A lot of big games (or small games...) in the national leagues or even the UEFA champions league had this problem. I alway think, the referee may have some unfair decides towards you, but maybe in the next game you'll be the one who benefits from these mistakes.

:p

Last edited:
I didn't think the referee was favouring any side. He gave Spain many free kicks. Towards the end of the extra time, even though there were just a few minutes left, he still gave Spain a free kick. Plus, he has such a happy disposition :)

foray

Corea rhymes with euphoria

Well done, South Korea. The dream isn't over yet. Next World Cup, the team will play 10 times better. Go, pilsing Corea!

foray

Back
Top Bottom