Interference Random Music Talk Part XVIII - In Which GAF Listens to Sex Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATYCLB: Elevation, Walk On, In a Little While
HTDAAB: Vertigo, Sometimes, City of Blinding Lights, ABOY/OOTS
NLOTH: Boots, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight, Moment of Surrender
Extras: One MJB Version, Haiti Song, Mercy or something

Don't tell me you can't see something like that happening.

I could see it happening. But my point is that it would be really, really weak.

It would be a best-of with really only one hit single on it.

Yeah, it's going to happen. There's still "Saints Are Coming," "I Believe in Father Christmas," and other such projects as well. It would be completely disposable, but it will happen.

Yeah, and Windows In the Sky. Or Window In the Skies.

Whichever. Seriously, I can't even remember the actual title right now. And I like the song!

And I will begrudgingly purchase it for whatever crappy new song they throw on there.

A best of 2000-2010 would be awful. What the fuck would be on it?

Best-case scenario:

Disc 1:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7. Electrical Storm
8. Vertigo
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. City of Blinding Lights
11. All Because of You
12. Original Of The Species
13. Window In The Skies
14. Magnificent
15. Moment of Surrender
16. Crazy Tonight
17. Get On Your Boots
18. Mercy

Disc 2:

1. Summer Rain
2. Always
3. Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance Mix)
4. Elevation (Influx Mix)
5. Big Girls Are Best
6. Levitate
7. Love You Like Mad
8. Smile
9. Flower Child
10. Fast Cars
11. Native Son
12. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
13. Neon Lights
14. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee Mix)
15. NLOTH2
16. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
17. Crazy Tonight (Live Mix)

I'm sure they'll rework 5 or so tracks on disc one as well, and the reworks won't sound better than the originals in any way.

I hate Big Girls Are Best so much.

:ohmy:

:hyper:

:love:

Well, allow me to slightly rain on the parade by saying that there's no way we're going to hear the full 6+ minute version in concert. Unfortunately. And we can only hope that their eventual concert rendition won't affect the length of how it's released as a recording.

I realized (or finally admitted to myself) recently that the MercyRule window had closed years ago, in terms of that song having the impact it should have had. Despite the buffoons who insist that it wasn't ever finished, they're not likely to improve on the leaked version if they keep tinkering with it. The vocal and guitar playing are impeccable, and while certain lyrics could probably be improved, it's not worth the risk of losing the power of Boner's existing perf.

Anyway, this is still the coolest news imaginable short of them playing Cockrobat. And even though the version I love may never become official, I'm really happy for all the casual fans who will finally get to hear the song in any incarnation.

Also, very nice to see Mothers of the Disqualified*. We're all guilty of underestimating these guys from time to time.

*new title

I always figured that U218 replaced having to do a 'Best of 2000-2010', as it fulfilled the labels 3 album Greatest Hits deal they had signed. Are we sure there has to be a 'Best of 2000-2010? Does anyone really want that? Didn't 'Best of 1990-2000' have really poor sales anyway. Certainly this would be even worse. I mean if thats the case, are we going to see a 'Best of 2010-2020', and a 'Best of 2020-2030' too? regardless of what shit they are putting out by then.

If U2 would've released 'Songs of Ascent' by now, they could have thrown a few of those songs on a 'Best of 2000-2010'. As of right now, it would be a pretty weak track list.

3 of the songs on your Disc 1 are already on the 1990-2000 best-of.

And Summer Rain is already on the b-sides disc for that, too.

So? They shouldn't have been on 1990-2000 to begin with. Makes it a more cohesive, less disposable package with them there.

So? They shouldn't have been on 1990-2000 to begin with. Makes it a more cohesive, less disposable package with them there.

If there is a Best of 2000-2010, you really think they'd put Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, and Electrical Storm on there? Again? I guess it would make sense for this band to do something weird like that, but it would just be so...off. And tacky. And other bad adjectives. I can't be the only one that thinks that. I don't know, I see those two existing Best Ofs as a kind of series. The cover art of the two albums represents that. You mention cohesiveness, I think if they toss BD and Stuck on the next in the line of "Best Ofs", it would actually wreck the cohesiveness. Why would they repeat themselves? Especially Electrical Storm. No way in hell will they take the new track off of the previous Best Of and put it on the next one.

I don't think anybody said they were sure there'd be one. We're just discussing the potential tracklisting if there is. I pray there isn't one, for the reasons already mentioned: it would suck.

If there is a Best of 2000-2010, you really think they'd put Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, and Electrical Storm on there? Again? I guess it would make sense for this band to do something weird like that, but it would just be so...off. And tacky. And other bad adjectives. I can't be the only one that thinks that. I don't know, I see those two existing Best Ofs as a kind of series. The cover art of the two albums represents that. You mention cohesiveness, I think if they toss BD and Stuck on the next in the line of "Best Ofs", it would actually wreck the cohesiveness. Why would they repeat themselves? Especially Electrical Storm. No way in hell will they take the new track off of the previous Best Of and put it on the next one.

You're assuming that a large portion of the fanbase is going out of their way to buy songs they already own. I firmly believe that GH packages are not and should not be created with the fans in mind...the single disc versions, anyway. Limited edition double discs are cool, and they've done that both times. In that case, having a physical amalgamation of Unreleased & Rare and Artificial Horizon would be terrific.

Frankly, U2 should just man up and admit they fucked up 1990-2000. That's more the thing. A 90s U2 comp should sound like 90s U2, and it didn't. They could take a small step towards rectifying this by not keeping the madness going. There are people who haven't heard of U2 that may be curious to check out their newer material without having to wade though Zooropa and Pop material to do so. I think they're crazy, but the market is there. The same demographic that isn't bitching about the ATYCLB-heavy 360 sets nightly.

Overall, the 360 setlists fucking blow. They've done some awesome stuff, but as a whole have royally fucked it up.

I don't think anybody said they were sure there'd be one. We're just discussing the potential tracklisting if there is. I pray there isn't one, for the reasons already mentioned: it would suck.
oh yeah i'm with you. it would. i'm just happy it the assumption i have that it won't exist.

i listened to Backspacer today - that opening trio, plus Amongst the Waves, is pretty fucking awesome.
Frankly, U2 should just man up and admit they fucked up 1990-2000.
maybe, but what would be the point?
Overall, the 360 setlists fucking blow. They've done some awesome stuff, but as a whole have royally fucked it up.

i disagree. :shrug:

I have a few small issues with the setlist, but I'm done caring and/or bitching about it*.

But! This is bugging me.

They're fucking playing places they've never been before. I'm sure no one there (who lives there and is thrilled to get to see U2 at all, not the fans who travel to multiple shows) is pissing and moaning about what they did or didn't play. I'm sure Moscow, Athens and Istanbul are just seething that they had to sit through Pride. :rolleyes:

Usually I'm not one to say "why do you care about a setlist for a show you're not at," because I understand why we care (kind of). But for these recent shows, I don't get it. Let them have their damned hits at their shows.

/end rant

Carry on, my lovely friends. :)

*until I'm not, in which case I'll throw out my gripe and then go back to being fine with it an hour later, which seems to be my M.O.

So, I'm listening to Houses of the Holy for the first time. I can't decide if I like this more than IV or not, because, I knew everything but one song on IV and I don't know anything but one song on Houses, so it has an unfair advantage. The point is, holy shit this is good.

Edit: I know two songs on this :ohmy: ;).

IV was fun to rock the fuck out to, but I think I'm enjoy this more as an actual album of music.

It's better than IV.

IV to me is the best album ever made. It's epic in every sense of the word, but also has its subtle and whimsical moments. And, really, what song from any album is a stronger or more ominous closer than "When the Levee Breaks"? That said, Houses is still a phenomenal album.

I'd rank the Zeppelin albums as follows, for anyone who might be interested:

1. IV
2. Physical Graffiti
3. Houses of the Holy
4. III
5. I
6. II
7. In Through the Out Door
8. Presence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back