Interference Random Music Talk Part XVIII - In Which GAF Listens to Sex Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead Man's Bones isn't your typical celebrity side project, and one has to give Ryan Gosling credit for trying something different. The children's chorus implemented on the album was with him on stage, with all the kids wearing costumes of famous/historical figures. Gosling alternated between guitar, bass, piano, and keyboards, and shared singing duties with some other guy as well as the kids. The songs were mostly of the mellow variety but the chorus provided a lot of lift and sing-a-long opportunity.

I really like these guys. Missed the opportunity to see them around Halloween last year when they were in town. Apparently they have another album in the works sans children's choir. But I really liked the vibe the children's choir gave

So I took a little road trip to Edmonton for a small music festival that had Weezer on the bill. I missed them in Montreal in August when they co-headlined the fest there with Arcade Fire.

I have to say that Weezer completely and utterly blew my mind. What an absolutely amazing performance. I am not really a fan, but have always wanted to see the, so I had no idea what to expect. They exceeded any and all expectations I had. Great songs, good fan interaction, and Rivers was really into it. The show also provided a few laughs (and a WTF moment) as Rivers donned a blonde wig and started singing Pokerface.

Anyway, that was one of the best performances I've seen by anyone, ever.

Also, during the road trip I found a few unmarked CDs, so I popped them in to see what was on them. One had an early variation of one of my Space Moon™ playlists. Good times.

On the other, I had the version of One with Bono, Edge, Eno, and the classical orchestra at Modena in 1995. What an absolutely beautiful rendition of that song. I completely forgot about it, but I remember being in love with that version when it first came out.

And I also found some of the Achtung Baby outtakes on my CD. I have to say that I love "Blow Your House Down" or whatever the fan title is. Yes, the lyrics are gibberish, and yes it's unfinished musically. But there's so much energy in that song. Plus I think it's one of Larry's finer moments before and after that period.

On the other, I had the version of One with Bono, Edge, Eno, and the classical orchestra at Modena in 1995. What an absolutely beautiful rendition of that song. I completely forgot about it, but I remember being in love with that version when it first came out.

:up:

absolutely incredible, my favourite version by a country mile.

Cool that Weezer was so good! They played last night (? or tonight) at Bumbershoot in Seattle, with Hole as the other headliner. It's 90s night at Bumbershoot!

Now, in other news, someone bring me my smelling salts:

Note: Don't quote the post with spoilers, because the YouTube videos will fuck the whole thread up. But I couldn't post without the videos.

U2 rehearsed Mercy today. GET. THE. FUCK. OUT.

YouTube - U2 Mercy 2010-09-06 Istanbul rehearsal

And Mothers of the Disappeared.

YouTube - Mothers Of The Disappeared Istanbul rehearsal

I've got to endorse all the Delorean love going on here. Been a fan since their EP, and Subiza is pretty wonderful in spots. Good summer pool jamz.

I listened to about half of that clip last night during a commercial break in whatever I was watching. Am intrigued, will check out more.

Yeah, if the site crashes in the middle of the setlist party, I'll assume that means they played it. :wink:

Either people will complain that:

a) they rehearsed it but didn't play it;

b) they only played it once or twice;

c) they kept it in the set but replaced x song instead of y song;

or

d) god, that song sucks anyway!

:wink:

Me = bowled over that they even rehearsed it.

Me = bowled over that they even rehearsed it.

I know! They rehearsed an unreleased song, but that won't matter, even if they play an unreleased song.

All the reasons you give will be reasons for people to bitch and moan.

I will go completely insane if they play that at any of the shows I'm seeing next year, and will be insanity from happiness.

I think that it's exciting news....but, I also think that it's not all that ridiculous if someone were to complain that they rehearsed it but never played it. So, hopefully, they, if not tonight, eventually work it into the rotation. That would be spectacular. But, yeah, if they wind up never playing it I'll be disappointed and don't really think it would be all that wrong of me to express that disappointment.

Oh, sorry - I didn't mean to imply people shouldn't complain/be disappointed about that. Just that they would.

I'm just anticipating the fallout after today's show and the various scenarios. It was meant more tongue-in-cheek than a whine. :)

No sorry needed, Cor, it's not like you were addressing me specifically....and, like you, I'm a little worn down by the fucking avalanche of U2 bashing that goes on inside of a U2 fan forum.....but in this case, with the love a lot of fans have for this song and the desire to see it on an album or hear it LIVE being very strong, even I'd be hard pressed to blame someone for complaining at this stage if it does not get played.

So, fingers crossed that this is not a Drowning Man situation, that they actually trot it out.

I've never been the biggest fan of the song, but it's pretty damned exciting. My fingers are crossed.

I'm surprised by the volume of unreleased songs. I thought one or two at most. So far? Four, with a fifth being rehearsed today.

Not me, that's for sure. Like 'em or hate 'em, it's nice to see them giving the tunes a whirl.

For the record, I'm not a HUGE fan of the song that shall not be named, not in the Laz level of love or anything....but I do like it a lot, and think it could be fantastic in concert, especially with that stage, etc.

It does sound from that clip like it's been changed up a little bit. The lyrics sounded different and it sounded like Larry was doing some different things.

After all, it's been six years. I'm not surprised it's not exactly the same.

Ditto on the other song rehearsed - new arrangement, and a special guest - sounds like maybe a local singer? Sounded interesting.

Shit, at this rate I'm wondering if I should start hoping for Native Son.

(I kid. I don't believe for a second they'd ever play that instead of the big hit version.)

I'm just happy that by rehearsing that first song, they've acknowledged its existence and haven't forgotten about it. :up:

Now if only they can remember that they released a certain album in 1997. I maintain that the current stage setup is tailor-made for POP songs. Gone, Mofo, or Please would work well, I think.

Ha. There's always something to keep wishing for.

I guess that's the downside of being a fan of a band who's been around and been popular for so long.

I'm just happy that by rehearsing that first song, they've acknowledged its existence and haven't forgotten about it. :up:

Now if only they can remember that they released a certain album in 1997. I maintain that the current stage setup is tailor-made for POP songs. Gone, Mofo, or Please would work well, I think.
He's yelling out parts of Discotheque at the end of Crazy Tonight! You're just ungrateful. SHAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom