Interference Random Music Talk Part XIV - Magic everywhere in this bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just listened to Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club. It was kind of awesome. Reminded me a bit of a mix between Friendly Fires and Shout Out Louds or something, but I've never been very good at those kinds of comparisons.

i think i might just have a new least favourite album of the year thus far... MGMT's new one i really don't like. at all.

Shouter, I'm at the Dead Weather show right now and Thax just showed up before the opener. Will try to relay your message.

you must have a pretty good mobile phone.

So, I just listened to Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club. It was kind of awesome. Reminded me a bit of a mix between Friendly Fires and Shout Out Louds or something, but I've never been very good at those kinds of comparisons.

They were very enjoyable last night. The Ettes tonight? Not so much.

you must have a pretty good mobile phone.

Sure, but it's awful in a huge crowd since AT&T's bandwidth sucks and can't handle a ton of iPhones in one place. Fortunately not that many folks were there when I posted that, so I hadn't lost my 3G coverage yet.

I don't have Internet access on my cell. I roll with Verizon, so no iPhone shenanigans, and a bunch of charges to use the Internet.

i think i might just have a new least favourite album of the year thus far... MGMT's new one i really don't like. at all.

Must've glossed over this at first, but you shouldn't have been expecting anything less. They're the worst.

i'm still a repping a Nokia 3310 :lol:

At least that means you've got Snake.

I was in a band that covered Time to Pretend once. That was kind of cool. And Weezer did a fun Kids/Lady Gaga thing.

Other than that, I've got nothing redeeming to say about MGMT.

here's a video of my man Paul Dempsey's acoustic cover of Time To Pretend.
YouTube - Paul Dempsey Live @ JIVE (Time To Pretend & Bette Davis Eyes covers)
i'm hoping to catch him again in the States.

Must've glossed over this at first, but you shouldn't have been expecting anything less. They're the worst.
well i loved OS's three singles. but the new record is just downright tripe. Brian Eno could be the worst song i've heard this year.

At least that means you've got Snake.
:lol: yes. don't even want to think about how many times i've played that.

I love, love, loooove Time To Pretend and Kids. Electric Feel is just okay. Everything else, I do not like at all.

I thought The Youth was a pretty good song. Cant really stand the band though

How terrible were they on SNL a week or so back? Reminded me of when I saw them open for Of Montreal. Awful.

I do like Time To Pretend quite a bit though.

Fuck 'em.

Miley's new single is incredible. You heard it here first, before you start to hear it everywhere.

I wanted to punch the dude in Titus Andronicus in the face, when I saw them. And then buy him a fucking sandwich, or something. That is one homeless looking motherfucker, right there.

just thought i'd post this, in case anyone's interested in wasting five minutes reading possibly the worst music-related article i've ever seen written. it's hard to believe that there's a lot of good upcoming, struggling, or out-of-work writers out there who can't get a crack when there's writers getting paid for tripe like this.

It's Depressing, But True - U2 Are The Most Influential Band Of The Last 25 Years

I love how this jackass picks the two most mainstream-sounding songs on the album as examples.

Idiot.

If you can't understand that album in context you have no business writing about music. Cockplay and all those other bands may sound like vintage Shuttlecock, but not the dirty, rhythmic sounds found on that album.

If you can't understand that album in context you have no business writing about music. Cockplay and all those other bands may sound like vintage Shuttlecock, but not the dirty, rhythmic sounds found on that album.

that's the thing i just completely failed to comprehend.

in the comments section below, he says the lyrics to UTEOTW are pointless, idiotic and about nothing, and then completely backtracks when someone points out to him the Judas relation.

I thought about making a thread for this, but I think I'll just stick to Random Music Talk.

What can I say? I've been very...lax in my listening to albums from the 90s. I mean, come on, this was the best I could come up with as a top ten from the decade?

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
  2. Crowded House - Together Alone
  3. Tom Petty - Wildflowers
  4. Radiohead - The Bends
  5. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
  6. Pulp - Different Class
  7. Dream Theater - Images and Words
  8. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
  9. Oasis- (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
  10. Peter Gabriel - Us
So, I'm willing to take a lot of requests in my attempt to make up some ground here. Who knows, maybe I will, in future expound this into a thread (don't get your hopes up, I know you all were).

And seriously, don't assume I've heard something. Sure, I've heard OK Computer, and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, but there are some ridiculous albums I haven't heard.

Thanks very much in advance all.

And here's a list I've come up with for now. Anything with ?? means I either don't know which album to listen to, or I'm wondering if that particular album is worth the listen. Thanks again guys!

1990s Albums I Haven’t Heard, But Will:​
1. My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
2. Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
3. Sigur Ros – Agaetis Byrjun
4. DJ Shadow – Endtroducing
5. Elliot Smith – Either/Or
6. A Tribe Called Quest – Low End Theory
7. Jeff Buckley – Grace
8. Bjork - ?
9. Massive Attack – Mezzanine
10. Built to Spill - ?
11. Pavement – Slanted And Enchanted
12. Ride – Nowhere
13. Slowdive – Souvlaki
14. OutKast – Aquemini
15. Nirvana – In Utero
16. The Magnetic Fields – 69 Love Songs :crack:
17. Pearl Jam – Ten
18. The Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
19. Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works
20. The Chills - ??
21. They Might Be Giants – Flood
22. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sex Sugar Magik
23. Teenage Fanclub – Bandwagonesque
24. Sonic Youth - ?
25. Suede - ?
26. Mazzy Star - ?
27. James – Laid
28. Blur – Parklife
29. Oasis – Definitely Maybe
30. Sunny Day Real Estate - ?
31. Pavement – Wowee Zowee
32. Supergrass – I Should Coco
33. Beck – Odelay
34. Ben Folds Five –Whatever And Ever Amen
35. The Verve – Urban Hymns
36. Pulp – This Is Hardcore ??
37. Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dream
38. The Dismemberment Plan – Emergency & I
39. Super Furry Animals - ??
40. Green Day – Dookie
41. Talk Talk – Laughing Stock ??
42. Weezer – Pinkerton ??
43. Wilco – Summerteeth

Bjork - Debut, Post, Homogenic...doesn't matter, but Post is probably the most representative
Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret
The Chills - Submarine Bells
Sonic Youth - More of an 80s band, but Goo, I guess
Suede - Dog Man Star
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Super Furry Animals - Radiator

Fix'd.

Yeah so Homogenic is kind of like my favorite album of all time. So yeah, there's that.

Homogenic is my favorite too of hers too, yeah. REALLY cold/dark album though, you need to be in the correct frame of mind to fully appreciate it.

I thought about making a thread for this, but I think I'll just stick to Random Music Talk.

What can I say? I've been very...lax in my listening to albums from the 90s. I mean, come on, this was the best I could come up with as a top ten from the decade?

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
  2. Crowded House - Together Alone
  3. Tom Petty - Wildflowers
  4. Radiohead - The Bends
  5. R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
  6. Pulp - Different Class
  7. Dream Theater - Images and Words
  8. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
  9. Oasis- (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
  10. Peter Gabriel - Us
So, I'm willing to take a lot of requests in my attempt to make up some ground here. Who knows, maybe I will, in future expound this into a thread (don't get your hopes up, I know you all were).

It's a good list from what I can see. I wouldn't feel bad about having Peter Gabriel's US in a Top 10 list, for example. Phenomenal album.

And here's a list I've come up with for now. Anything with ?? means I either don't know which album to listen to, or I'm wondering if that particular album is worth the listen. Thanks again guys!

8. Bjork - ? HOMOGENIC or POST
10. Built to Spill - ? PERFECT FROM NOW ON
24. Sonic Youth - ? EXPERIMENTAL JET SET, TRASH AND NO STAR
25. Suede - ? DOG MAN STAR or COMING UP
36. Pulp – This Is Hardcore ?? YES
38. The Dismemberment Plan – Emergency & I YES!!! (forgive my enthusiasm), also their album Change
39. Super Furry Animals - ?? GUERILLA

In addition to my above notes, I'd also recommend:

Guided by Voices -- Bee Thousand or Alien Lanes
Sugar -- Copper Blue
The Afghan Whigs -- Black Love or Gentlemen
Cornershop -- When I Was Born For the 7th Time
Underworld -- Second Toughest in the Infants or Beaucoup Fish
Supergrass -- In It For the Money
Helium -- The Dirt of Luck (on the Matador label, this is well worth seeking out)
Shudder to Think -- Pony Express Record (not for everyone but this is pretty groundbreaking stuff)
Sleeper -- The It Girl (the Britpop scene isn't complete without these guys)

Dog Man Star is fucking incredible. Not sure how well its aged though. Should go back for a listen

1. My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
2. Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
3. Sigur Ros – Agaetis Byrjun
4. DJ Shadow – Endtroducing
8. Bjork - you name it
9. Massive Attack – Mezzanine
10. Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret
11. Pavement – Slanted And Enchanted
12. Ride – Nowhere
13. Slowdive – Souvlaki
17. Pearl Jam – Ten
18. The Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
21. They Might Be Giants – Flood
24. Sonic Youth - Goo or Dirty
27. James – Laid
28. Blur – Parklife
29. Oasis – Definitely Maybe
31. Pavement – Wowee Zowee
33. Beck – Odelay
36. Pulp – Different Class
38. The Dismemberment Plan – Emergency & I
42. Weezer – Pinkerton & Blue

I want to reconfirm all of these being great. I didn't see these listed, so I'm throwing them in (you may have already heard some or all, but I'm a fan, so I'm listening them anyway).

Portishead - self-titled
Mogwai - Young Team
Morrissey - Vauxhall and I
Morphine - I'd just do the best-of, but you could do an album if you wanted
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West (the best MM album in my opinion)
Moby - Play
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (one of my top ten favorite albums of all time), Everything Must Go
Magnetic Fields - Holiday
Luna - best of is a good place to start
Low - Secret Name
Future Sound of London - best of is fine
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Beta Band - The 3 EPs
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Bouncing Souls - Hopeless Romantic
Autechre - Amber
American Music Club - Everclear
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset
Air - Moon Safari
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
Travis - The Man Who
Slint - Spiderland
Bell Biv Devoe - Poison :wink:

Also, it was 1989, but everyone should have Operation Ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom