INTERFERENCE Movie Awards 2007!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as I love DDL, his performances have really changed, his performances in Jim Sheridan's movies like The Boxer are strong and subtle, whereas in this decade he's mister scene stealer and scenery chewer, not that it didn't fit the films and Bill the Butcher is an amazing character, its just he seems quite different in this decade.

So what if it is Brando overkill? The man was in another category altogether and so it is what it is.

If I put together a list of the top 10 offensive seasons of all time in baseball, you can be Babe Ruth would pop up more than once.

That's why I qualified what I said above by mentioning movies made in my lifetime. Were I to do an all-time list (and frankly, I've not seen enough films made prior to 1970 to truly accuratelu judge) Brando would be all over it.

powerhour24 said:
As much as I love DDL, his performances have really changed, his performances in Jim Sheridan's movies like The Boxer are strong and subtle, whereas in this decade he's mister scene stealer and scenery chewer, not that it didn't fit the films and Bill the Butcher is an amazing character, its just he seems quite different in this decade.

That observation is fair, powerhour, but did you see The Ballad of Jack and Rose? I found his performance in that film to be much more down to earth and subtle.

You have to consider that the guy has only made 3 films this decade, and two of them happened featured very powerful characters. Also, in There Will Be Blood, DDL only starts veering close to hammy in the last stretch of the film, beginning with the scene in the restaurant where he tries to show up the Standard Oil representative.

Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto Alright, I'll teach you to speak English with this fucking ballot.

BEST PICTURE
1. No Country for Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Zodiac
4. The Darjeeling Limited
5. Knocked Up

BEST DIRECTOR
1. Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
2. Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
3. David Fincher, Zodiac
4. Wes Anderson, The Darjeeling Limited
5. Danny Boyle, Sunshine

BEST ACTOR
1. Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
2. Josh Brolin, No Country for Old Men
3. Russell Crowe, 3:10 to Yuma
4. Mark Ruffalo, Zodiac
5. Kurt Russell, Death Proof

BEST ACTRESS
1. Ellen Page, Juno
2. Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
3. Katherine Heigl, Knocked Up
4. Lena Headey, 300
5. Rose McGowan, Planet Terror

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
2. Christian Bale, 3:10 to Yuma
3. Paul Dano, There Will Be Blood
4. Robert Downey Jr., Zodiac
5. Adrien Brody, The Darjeeling Limited

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Kelly Macdonald, No Country for Old Men
2. Leslie Mann, Knocked Up
3. Jennifer Garner, Juno
4. Jenna Fischer, Blades of Glory
5. Marley Shelton, Planet Terror

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1. Knocked Up, Judd Apatow
2. Juno, Diablo Cody
3. The Darjeeling Limited, Wes Anderson, Jason Schwartzman, and Roman Coppola
4. Hot Fuzz, Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright
5. Death Proof, Quentin Tarantino

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1. There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson
2. No Country for Old Men, Joel and Ethan Coen
3. Zodiac, James Vanderbilt
4. 3:10 to Yuma, Halsted Welles, Michael Brandt, Derek Haas
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, John Logan

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
2. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
3. Zodiac
4. There Will Be Blood
5. Sunshine

BEST EDITING
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Hot Fuzz
4. Death Proof
5. Zodiac

BEST ART DIRECTION
1. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Zodiac

BEST COSTUMES
1. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
1. Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood
2. Eddie Vedder, Into the Wild
3. Underworld, Sunshine

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
1. Sunshine
2. Transformers
3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
---
Still want to see:

Jesse James
I'm Not There
Eastern Promises
Michael Clayton
The rest of Diving Bell
Into the Wild
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Youth Without Youth

No spoken words said:
That's why I qualified what I said above by mentioning movies made in my lifetime. Were I to do an all-time list (and frankly, I've not seen enough films made prior to 1970 to truly accuratelu judge) Brando would be all over it.

Shit, it'd be even smaller for me.

I need to see more of Brando's work to have a definite opinion on him, and I've that all planned out.

I didn't know Last Tango in Paris was your #1 Laz. I saw that over winter break for the first time, and nearly shit myself from the awesomeness of Brando's performance. I didn't think I'd ever seen anything quite like that before in my lifetime. The eulogy to his dead wife is seriously out of this world.

Shee-it son:

After Michael Madsen was found to be unavailable for the part, Day-Lewis tried to get the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction (1994), one of the few times he actively pursued a part. However, by that point in the casting, Quentin Tarantino had John Travolta in mind for the part.

His trivia page on IMDb is awesome:

Frequently called the "English Robert De Niro." Early in his career, Day-Lewis recently referred to De Niro as his champion.

Was considered for the role of Jesus Christ in The Passion of the Christ (2004), but director Mel Gibson thought he looked "too European" and the part instead went to James Caviezel.

He was Jonathan Demme's first choice for the part of Andrew Beckett in Philadelphia (1993). He turned the part down to work on In the Name of the Father (1993) and Tom Hanks was cast in Philadelphia (1993) instead. Day-Lewis earned an Oscar nomination for best actor in In the Name of the Father (1993), but Hanks won the best actor Oscar for Philadelphia (1993), the part Day-Lewis turned down.

Several times offered and turned down the role of Aragorn (Strider) in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings film trilogy.

I knew about the Lord of the Rings thing. I'm glad he turned that down though. I'm not the biggest fan of those films, and he was much better off giving us the pleasures of Gangs of New York instead. That said, Mortensen was fantastic in the role, and was one of the best parts of that whole damn series.

Mortensen never really gets enough credit. I'm sure DDL would have rocked, but after appearing in Last of the Mohicans probably didn't want to do that role again.

Lance: that eulogy monologue is just the finest acting ever committed to film. I don't know how you top something like that without having a nervous breakdown.

YLB, you've got some serious categorical issue: Lena Headey in LEAD? She may have been the only woman in the film, but she was supporting. Bale is the lead character in 3:10, even if Crowe is the bigger presence. They're co-leads. Personally I'd put Russell in supporting (he came very close to making my ballot), and you'd probably be able to make the argument that Marley Shelton (who I thought was great) was the lead in Planet Terror, but as it's such an ensemble piece you could get away with supporting there.

But hey, it's your funeral. Which should be in a few days at this point, right?

How about this change-up:

BEST ACTOR
1. Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
2. Josh Brolin, No Country for Old Men
3. Mark Ruffalo, Zodiac
4. Christian Bale, 3:10 to Yuma
5. Russell Crowe, 3:10 to Yuma

BEST ACTRESS
1. Ellen Page, Juno
2. Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
3. Katherine Heigl, Knocked Up
4. Marley Shelton, Planet Terror
5. Rose McGowan, Planet Terror

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
2. Paul Dano, There Will Be Blood
3. Kurt Russell, Death Proof
4. Robert Downey Jr., Zodiac
5. Adrien Brody, The Darjeeling Limited

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Kelly Macdonald, No Country for Old Men
2. Leslie Mann, Knocked Up
3. Jennifer Garner, Juno
4. Lena Headey, 300
5. Jenna Fischer, Blades of Glory

Fuck, I'm still not comfortable with two Planet Terror girls for Best Actress. I think Russell could work as a Lead or Supporting depending on how to want to explain it. He drives the story, but is never the main focus - but is the connection between the two halves of the film, making him the most important part.

When I see Eastern Promises, I'm sure I'll change my ballot yet again.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to force you.

But that certainly looks better.

I expected a snarky comment from Lance about some of your more mainstream nominations by now. As the impartial ballot-keeper in this poll, I'll keep my comments to myself.

(Blades of fucking Glory?!)

lazarus said:
I didn't mean to force you.

But that certainly looks better.

I expected a snarky comment from Lance about some of your more mainstream nominations by now. As the impartial ballot-keeper in this poll, I'll keep my comments to myself.

(Blades of fucking Glory?!)

Here's what I've seen this year:

1. No Country for Old Men ****1/2
2. There Will Be Blood ****1/2
3. Zodiac ****1/2
4. The Darjeeling Limited ****1/2
5. Superbad ****
6. Knocked Up ****
7. Sunshine ****
8. Juno ****
9. Hot Fuzz ****
10. Death Proof ****
11. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ****
12. 3:10 to Yuma ***1/2
13. Transformers ***1/2
14. Live Free or Die Hard ***1/2
15. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ***1/2
16. Planet Terror ***1/2
17. I Am Legend ***
18. 300 ***
19. Spider-Man 3 ***
20. Blades of Glory ***
21. Ocean's Thirteen ***
22. Disturbia **1/2
23. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End **1/2
24. Smokin' Aces **1/2
25. Across the Universe **
26. Shrek the Third **
27. Evan Almighty **
28. Ghost Rider *1/2
29. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry *
30. Norbit 1/2

The reason I wanted to wait on my ballot.

Can someone direct me to the thread with the origin of powerjuice? I feel like I already made a joke about it but can't remember where it came from.

It's gotta be Dalton, right?

No spoken words said:

In a meeting yesterday, someone used the word, if it is a word, "powerjuice" and I almost fucking lost it. It sucks to be in a room with some pretty important people, well, important relative to the world you work in, and be the most immature person there...by a lot....but, what could I do? Who says powerjuice and means it????? This guy did. I had to bite my hand to keep myself from cracking up. Sad.
confusion.

Then I was asked about the context...

No spoken words said:

How in the state this man's school is located in, they need to place pressure on the cable company not by using the public as pawns, but by other means.

This was the exact sentence:

"So, we have to do 3 things, then. 1 - We have to go political. 2 - We have to go powerjuice. 3 - We have to go corporate."

So I spent the rest of the afternoon telling people that we needed to go powerjuice. Of course, the meeting had maybe 4 people from our staff in there, the rest were from the schools, so nobody knew what I was talking about, nor did they get the joke cos they were not in the meeting. That does not stop me. Just like another incident on Monday, where my 2 worlds crossed, and I asked someone at work "Is this confirmed?", but meant it, but then started laughing out loud, which more or less caused confusion.

I shudder to think what would happen if Powerjuice and Squirtigo were combined.

Twins, Max. You can imagine the mathematical possibilities.

lazarus said:
I shudder to think what would happen if Powerjuice and Squirtigo were combined.

Twins, Max. You can imagine the mathematical possibilities.

This was a drop dead serious meeting with serious people....I'm no kid anymore, but compared to these people I'm a youngin......and, I meant what I said....hearing that was so out of leftfield, and so non-sensical to me that it took a lot of effort not to lose it.

Back
Top Bottom