CuJo vs. Brodeur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, he won gold for us, but he can always repent. Deals are made to be broken. It's not too late. It would be interesting to see how he'd fair in the high flying Western Conference. It would be a wonderful test for him, and a chance for you to say, "I told you so" to all the naysayers. I happen to think he's the 2nd best goalie in the league. Patrick Roy is still the best money goalie in my opinion.

Michael Griffiths said:
Patrick Roy is still the best money goalie in my opinion.

I followed you up to that point, but now you've lost me... he WAS the best money goalie about 5 years ago... he's been tapering ever since. So it begins...

he single-handedly gave the Devils a chance to win the Cup in 2001

I dont know if Brodeur is 2nd best or whatever, dont really care either, he's a perfect fit for the Devs

I was talking to my bro about him today, and mentioned how people still are talking about how it's the defense not him, last 10 years, it's always the defense, haha

The Wanderer said:
he single-handedly gave the Devils a chance to win the Cup in 2001

More so in the first round (was it Florida or Carolina?)...

It's kinda crappy though when people put so much owness on the goaltender... either too much credit, or all the blame. Frankly, you should take a look at the guys standing (emphasis on standing) in front of them. It is a maligned position... I'd equate it to the Kicker in football (not for importance, but for the amount of shit the media gives them)...

actually I meant Roy gave the Devils a chance with his debacle in Game 4, the Devs were about to go down 3-1 in the series but Roy made a giveaway for an empty net goal, but Avs went on to win in 7, should have won in 5 though

Yes that was very unfortunate... I cried for four days straight when Roy made that giveaway... that was the first time I ever had tears of joy.

Yes, that was a bad giveaway, but if I remember he rebounded in rather stellar fashion, as he almost always has done -- when the series is on the line, hence why he's the best money goalie in the game. Trust me, I wish he weren't. I don't want Vancouver to face the Avalanche for that very reason. Goaltending.

Michael Griffiths said:
Yes, that was a bad giveaway, but if I remember he rebounded in rather stellar fashion, as he almost always has done -- when the series is on the line, hence why he's the best money goalie in the game.

Yes seven goals in one game (a game seven mind you) is a lot of goals for your buck... wait a second, he's paid to stop pucks? Oh, sorry, lost me again my canuck friend. :wink:

Roy's good, but he is prone to the same lapses as all goalies... that's why it's unfair to label a goalie the "best money goalie", because they are such fickle players... except for Brodeur of course, or as I like to call him Captain Consistency! (there wanderer, that's the last time I'll say that)...

I think he's actually 2-3 in game sevens... I wonder who the goalies were that beat him in those 3 games... they must have been fantastic... or almost always fantastic...

I've got nothing against you Michael, I just find that most Canuck fans think Roy is the best, when there is some real bad performances with his name on it... see the opening round of the playoffs against the Canucks a few years back... that should have taken him out of the running for Conn Smythe... but you are right, for the most part he does show up for big games...

Hey, the guy's won 4 Stanley Cups, and leads the NHL in wins all around. He has three Conn Smythes -- more than any other player EVER, and that's including Gretzky and Lemieux. Yeah, I'd say he usually shows up for big games for the most part. :wink:

To be honest, I wanted Roy to suck against LA in the '93 finals, but he was the only reason Gretzky didn't win a cup that year. He stoned LA time and time again (remember the famous wink he gave Thomas Sandstram?). Gretz and his team gave it their all, and should have won that series. Roy was the only reason the Habs won their 24th cup.

Last edited:
I have no quams with what you've said buddy, but all your comments are in past tense. The guy has DONE some amazing things, but in the "what have you done for me lately" world of the NHL, his marks are average... I could sit here and debate this, but I don't even remember where we started... this was an olympic thread from one year ago... go figure.

haha, yeah buddy, hockey threads are like bar room conversations. They dance and flitter into the night. Where's the beer by the way? And none of that cheap stuff! Spring Ale or something.

Ah yes, as for Roy, I'm actually speaking of his ability *lately*. He always shows up for the playoffs, and last year he was a finalist for the Hart and Vezina trophies. And look at him this year. His save percentage is hovering around a ridiculously high 95% since Christmas. His goals against average since Christmas is also obscenely low. This guy is playing amazingly well right now, and it scares the hell of me! I'm glad Vancouver isn't playing him in the first round. And take a look at how many games he's won recently. It's also quite scary.

Take a look at all of the Western Conference Superpowers... Dallas with Turco, Detroit with Joseph... all of them are playing their asses off... it would be scary to play any of them in the playoffs... and if Cloutier gets healthy, you got another guy capable of stealing a series (in my opinion)...

what's on tap... maybe a Pil, anything but a Bud... how I loathe the Bud. That and beer nuts...

As for the cheap generic beers, I can tolerate Pil or even Kokanee, but never Bud. It's like cat's piss (not that I would know what cat's piss tastes like, but...). I really like the Granville Island stuff, as I do Spring. The microbreweries make some good stuff generally. My favourite Irish beer is Caffreys. It comes in a can similar to a Guinness can, but it's really light in colour and very smooth. Almost like a food. It's not bitter like Guinness, but it is frothy in the same way. It's better than Kilkenny, too.

Last edited:
Guinness is very heavy... not like cat piss... (I would know what cat's piss tastes like... believe me, I've drank my share of Red Tick Beer)...

No, no, I said Bud tastes like cats piss, not Guinness. I do feel sorry that you know that taste (cat's piss). Miller is the only American beer I can tolerate, but that too is a refined piss of the feline variety at best.

one time Brodeur actually healed a teammate by spraying water from his water bottle on their forehead

and when you see him looking up towards the rafters between plays he is talking to God about how to appear mortal

"water bottle" eh... I hear Brodeur likes to perform miracle Golden Showers...

Captain Consistency oh yes.

Why does this thread degenerate into conversations about piss... started about the time Roy came into the picture...

Shame on you Griffiths... shame, shame.

OB1 Patty... don't you mean OB1 can'tstopthegoalsies

Back
Top Bottom