crowded house - farewell to the world dvd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
has anyone got their hands on this yet?

its really a pain to find it anywhere in this country.

but i want it.

such an awesome band.

I don't know where you guys are located, but this DVD won't be released in the US until January 16th.

It's been a long time coming. Came out here in Oz the week of the 10 year anniversary.

The DVD is incredibly well put together, with remastered audio and the 6 tracks that were missing from the 1997 video version. But for me the best inclusion was very casual band commentary of the entire gig from Neil, Mark & Nick - great banter & insights from the guys.

Not sure when it will be out in Europe, but I'm sure it's out in the UK now, and as greenlight said January for the US.

A great teaser before the upcoming Seymour/Finn release in March.

I really, really need to pick up a copy of this DVD. Anyone know where I can get it cheaply in Australia?

timothius said:
A great teaser before the upcoming Seymour/Finn release in March.

I've only heard a little bit about this. What exactly's happening?

Also, what are your thoughts on Tim Finn's Imaginary Kingdom? I just recently checked it out and it was better than I expected it to be, given what I've heard about Tim's solo work being a bit hit and miss. I absolutely HATE the cover, though.

Axver said:
I really, really need to pick up a copy of this DVD. Anyone know where I can get it cheaply in Australia?

JB. :up:

Axver said:

I've only heard a little bit about this. What exactly's happening?

According to Neil it's a new realease around March. Neil wrote, Nick provided bass on all tracks and "gay cowboy vocals" on some, and Johnny Marr played (wrote maybe?) on some of the tracks that were recorded at Real World studios in UK. No idea about the touring band, now that Marr has joined Modest Mouse - but one can only pray that Nick & Neil tour together.

Actually e was in LA mixing down a week back and did his yearly gig at Largo with Jon Brion & co, where he debuted half the album. Theres a half complete recording floating around on the web, it's pretty hard to make out what the end product will actually sound like since its practically just him on acoustic - but to me the melodies/chord structures sound way more One Nilish than anything the Crowdies did though.

Axver said:

Also, what are your thoughts on Tim Finn's Imaginary Kingdom? I just recently checked it out and it was better than I expected it to be, given what I've heard about Tim's solo work being a bit hit and miss. I absolutely HATE the cover, though.

I think I got through it thrice. It's nice enough - probably one of his weaker outings though... after Feeding The Gods (his previous one) I was hoping for somthing equally as good. But anyway it results in a few gigs - so thats fine with me. :wink:

And yes, the cover isn't exactly my favourite.

timothius said:
According to Neil it's a new realease around March. Neil wrote, Nick provided bass on all tracks and "gay cowboy vocals" on some, and Johnny Marr played (wrote maybe?) on some of the tracks that were recorded at Real World studios in UK. No idea about the touring band, now that Marr has joined Modest Mouse - but one can only pray that Nick & Neil tour together.

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking forward to this album, and a tour by Nick and Neil would be amaaazing. :drool:

What is Nick doing these days anyway? Any commitments that would stop him from being able to tour with Neil?

And I'm yet to hear One Nil. I'm hoping to score some stuff at Boxing Day sales ...

I think I got through it thrice. It's nice enough - probably one of his weaker outings though... after Feeding The Gods (his previous one) I was hoping for somthing equally as good. But anyway it results in a few gigs - so thats fine with me. :wink:

It's the first solo Tim release that I've heard, and after hearing that his solo stuff can be really patchy, I found it quite consistent and pleasant enough background music, but put it this way: I won't be replacing my downloaded copy with a bought one in a hurry. I can't say I want that cover on my shelf either.

Oh, by the way, I don't suppose you have an MP3 of The Swingers' Counting The Beat that you could send my way? I can't find one online and I'd like a copy for old times' sake.

And I've been listening to a fair bit of Dave Dobbyn lately. It's so sad that although NZ's produced so much great musical talent, it usually goes ignored by everyone else. :sad:

I got given this for Christmas. Yet to watch it though, will do so on my day off on Thursday. And for whoever wanted to pick it up in Australia cheaply, go to JB Hi-Fi, they had it for $19.

Wally8 said:
I got given this for Christmas. Yet to watch it though, will do so on my day off on Thursday. And for whoever wanted to pick it up in Australia cheaply, go to JB Hi-Fi, they had it for $19.

:hmm:

I've been a Crowdies fan forever, so I rushed out and got the DVD and CD on the day they came out. ;) Come to think of it, I tried several different shops before I finally tracked down a copy and then raced off to queue up for U2!! Seriously.

I was just so glad to have the entire show (almost) on DVD after so many years of wearing out the VHS version. Not to mention the hilarious moments they had to cut out in the original. Go Hessie! :macdevil:

The commentary is great as is the live CD which can finally replace my simulcast cassette from 1996. It's also great to hear that the three demo's featured may also appear on a CH box set, rumoured to be coming out sometime this year! All that, plus a new album from Neil/Nick and a possible tour in 2007? :applaud: :hyper: :combust:

Ooooh! Before I forget, I also got Tim's new album and was pleasantly surprised. Now I'm not usually much of a Tim fan but this album convinced me to go and see him live. And yeah, there's something... almost creepy about that cover...what was he thinking? :confused:

Ahhh yes...it really is. The fluffed lines, the laughter, those harmonies......PERFECT!

I'd always wondered where "in our little brown constellation" had originated from in Italian Plastic.

Now we know it was from the middle part of Sister Madly where Paul makes a reference to 'ice-cream' , followed by 'chocolate'! :lmao:

~R.I.P. Paul Hester~

Last edited:
I checked it out on youtube because I've never seen the vid before.

I found it inexplicably sad.

Paul's just so full of energy and humour, it's really hard to know he's not around any more. :(

I've never actually thought of that clip as sad. I'm a long time Paul Hester fan and while there have been many sad moments since his passing, this particular clip reminds me of the amazing energy, humour and talent he possessed. Admittedly, I've had this footage for ten years so I'm sure if I were seeing it for the first time, I too, would be emotionally upset.

I'm just so grateful that we actually have this fantastic footage to commemorate such a wonderful man.

Yeah I get where you're coming from.

Also found some footage of Neil doing 'Better Be Home Soon' in tribute to Paul at the ARIAs.

Lovely video montage to begin with, but God knows how Neil went through the performance without cracking.

I think I'm going to buy this once I get my paycheck.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Yeah I get where you're coming from.

Also found some footage of Neil doing 'Better Be Home Soon' in tribute to Paul at the ARIAs.

Lovely video montage to begin with, but God knows how Neil went through the performance without cracking.

I think I'm going to buy this once I get my paycheck.

That ARIA footage is the most emotionally distressing vision I have ever seen. I actually flew to Sydney just to be in the same room as Neil that night because I knew it would be something very special. How he managed to get through that emotional performance defies comprehension... As a result, he cemented my eternal respect and admiration for him.

To anyone who ever had a passing interest in the Crowdies, go ahead and get FTTW if you can. It's a great celebration of an amzing Australian band.

I love Crowded House and Neil Finn and can't wait for the DVD to come out in the USA. If you ever get the chance to see Neil live, I highly recommend it. Seeing as how he's not really popular here in the states, he tends to play smaller, more intimate venues and I think the fans are all the luckier for it.

Yes, is it really happening???? I mean, I wanna see the Crowdies again, well Neil and Nick, but at the same time is it really the Crowdies?? :( Oh bugger it, I wanna see Neil and Nick again! :hyper: Last year, the Enz, now the House!

They aren't going to call it Crowded House, are they? I've read the article on Stuff.co.nz and it's pretty bloody exciting, but it seems non-commital on whether the band will actually be the Crowdies or not. As I've said before on this forum, I feel a bit uneasy with a reformed Crowded House.

it seems a little weird to rerelease a farewell to the world dvd and then reunite in the same year.

Prior to Paul Hesters death in March 2005, there were strong indications that Neil Finn was to do a Crowded House reunion at the end of 2005. One of Pauls final performances, if not his last ever, was reuniting with Neil and Tim Finn in December 2004 to play a couple CH songs with them for Australian tv. After this occured, Neil indicated that he was interested in reuniting the band after his 2004-2005 Finn brothers tour ended.

It's hard to imagine Crowded House without Paul Hester, but Paul quit the band in early 1994 while on tour in the US and was replaced by Peter Jones. Peter technically was not an official member of the group but he did finish out the Together Alone tour with the band and went on to record with the band on their initial recordings for their 5th album, which was never released.

Mark Hart had toured with CH as their keyboard player for the Woodface tour of 1991-92 and became an official member of the band for their 4th album Together Alone. After Paul left the band, they were back to the trio of Neil, Nick and Mark. When in 1996 they chose to record 3 new songs for a best of album shortly before they broke up, Paul was brought back in to play drums on those songs, but was not considered a current member of the band. As the best of album was about to be released, Neil decided to end the band and when they did 2 farewell performances in November 1996, Paul came back to play with the band.

The Crowded House that is reuniting this year is their final official line-up: Neil Finn, Nick Seymour and Mark Hart. The upcoming CH album began as a Neil Finn solo album where Nick played bass throughout and it has morphed into a CH album. Mark does not appear on the album unless he was added to it with overdubs when Neil came to Los Angeles (where Mark lives) in December to finish the album.

It's completely accurate to call these 3 musicians playing together as Crowded House, as what we will be seeing is the final official lineup of the band.

Back
Top Bottom