Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how much weight this carries, but I saw a very good review of the new season in People magazine recently, too :). I really hope this show gets a chance and does manage to last, it'd be such a shame to see a good show like this disappear. If this gets canceled while some of the other crap that exists on TV nowadays continues to be on the air, then something is seriously wrong somewhere.

On a lighter note, I cannot WAIT to see the Christmas episode. Neat clips-I like the discussion Alison and Danny were having about Danny being so animated in real life :p. They seem like fun people, I imagine it'd be quite a blast working with the cast on that show.

And the figures of the cast look amazing. I can't believe the detail (the miniature cookies!). I'm always impressed by people who can do this sort of animation. Seems like that episode should be very cute and very good, look forward to seeing that. Thanks, as always, for the links.

Angela

The fact that Community and Parks and Recreation are still on the air is a good sign for NBC. If either is canceled in the near future, it would be a big mistake.

There's a site that has logo-free HD captures of Community, and while perusing the 201 opener this struck me:

Community201-39.jpg

Jeff: Annie, where did you get that? There were only 3 prop guns!
Annie: Yeah, well I live in a terrible neighborhood

She would have a Charlie St. Cloud poster. This sort of stuff makes me really curious/excited for when we start exploring the study group's homes.

$6.95, which sucks. It's a flat rate thing when you order anything under $50. Either way, I'm just happy I got one. $13 total was a fair enough price, and I really needed a new mug anyway.

Hello During A Random Dessert
The Month And Day of Which Coincide Numerically With Your Expulsion From A Uterus

"Happy Expulsion, Troy!"

This is the 3rd consecutive straight-A I'd give the show; because Community is on fire right now.

Alison Brie said both "y'all" and "Anne Hathaway" in a single scene. I'm skipping work tomorrow. This boner won't die down before then.

I'm running out of good things to say about this show that I haven't already said. It just continues to hit the right notes, while being completely singular in its approach to the 30 minute sitcom.

Impy, I knew you'd have to comment on Annie name dropping the Hath. Talk about world's colliding. Her plotline was definitely my favorite tonight, as she slowly slipped into her Corpus Christi alter ego. Great moment there between her and Troy at the end, as well. Troy's whole realization that the people at the bar were all sad and lonely and pathetic was also handled really well, and hit home for me. It's a realization I made many years ago, yet I still regularly go and get drunk at bars. Oh, well.

"I'll be back in two shakes of a rabbit's ass."

"Who the hell was that?"

I may have to look into getting that mug myself *Gets all :shifty: with Lila*.

Cute episode tonight, as always, really enjoyed it.

Hello During A Random Dessert
The Month And Day of Which Coincide Numerically With Your Expulsion From A Uterus

:lol: :yes: That was great. Disturbing, but great. And I also cracked up at Jeff saying, "Ugh" when Tyra Banks' name was mentioned on the list of celebrities who shared Troy's birthday :D. "Soup" reference, woohoo!

Impy, I knew you'd have to comment on Annie name dropping the Hath. Talk about world's colliding. Her plotline was definitely my favorite tonight, as she slowly slipped into her Corpus Christi alter ego. Great moment there between her and Troy at the end, as well. Troy's whole realization that the people at the bar were all sad and lonely and pathetic was also handled really well, and hit home for me.

Same here. So sweet the way Troy was looking out for everyone, I really loved him in the show tonight :hug: :heart:. I can totally sympathize with his observations at the bar, too-I drink a bit here and there when I'm out with friends, but not that often, and very light stuff as well. I've seen/heard stories from those who are big drinkers, and it really is kind of sad sometimes.

That being said, however, I totally want a screwdriver right now. Annie was just a total kick. So cute and bubbly and convincing-I would've believed her stories! Seriously, where was this whole group when I turned 21?

"I'll be back in two shakes of a rabbit's ass."

"Who the hell was that?"

Hehe. I also loved Pierce asking why they only sang the "...to you!" part of "Happy Birthday" at the beginning, as well as:

Britta: Troy :tsk:.
Troy frowns and nods solemnly.
Jeff: Troy? :up:
Troy: *Nods head enthusiastically, returns :up:*

They also showed a commercial for next week's Christmas show, too. It looks so friggin' cute and fun-did I mention I can't wait to watch it :hyper:?

Angela

The most underrated aspect of Community is how complex and real the characters seem. That really showed in this last episode. Most sitcoms never have deeply flawed and in some ways tragic characters. Community does and keeps it funny at the same time.

The most underrated aspect of Community is how complex and real the characters seem. That really showed in this last episode. Most sitcoms never have deeply flawed and in some ways tragic characters. Community does and keeps it funny at the same time.

I was really impressed by how subtly but significantly our read of Annie changes once we know where she lives- alone in a dirty apartment complex at the seedy part of town. Did her parents kick her out after she went into rehab?

Pierce. What are you doing? Explain yourself.

I was really impressed by how subtly but significantly our read of Annie changes once we know where she lives- alone in a dirty apartment complex at the seedy part of town. Did her parents kick her out after she went into rehab?

Exactly. It reminds me of the episode where Pierce's mom died. After that episode I viewed Pierce and his behavior in a slightly different way.

:yes: And you feel for every single thing that they go through, good and bad. I felt really bad for Shirley in this last episode. And Abed, too-when the guy threw that drink in his face I was like, "Awwww :(". That whole scenario gave us a bit of an insight into him as well. The episode seemed to do that for all the characters, actually-I was also interested in the storyline about Pierce's frustration at trying to get into the building.

Wonder if, now that Troy knows about Annie's living situation, he'll try and see if he can do something to help her not have to live like that?

Angela

Dan Harmon interview! General spoilers ahead!

The last time I spoke to 'Community' creator Dan Harmon in September, he had already written the script for the stop-action-animated Christmas episode that is set to air Thursday at 8:00PM on NBC. While he had an idea of how long doing a stop-action animation on an episode would take, he had no idea how truly involved the process is.

"One thing that I didn't anticipate was that every shot was an effects shot," he told me earlier this week. "Post-productively there's stuff you have to do. If a character jumps up in the air and clicks his heels, you're rotoscoping things out that are helping that person stay in the air while they're jumping in the air, and I thought that was fascinating."

Even as late as Monday, there were still some effects and music left to insert. But even in rough cut form, the episode is not only one of the best of the season, it shows quite well how Abed (Danny Pudi) sees the nutty world of Greendale Community College, as the entire episode is a product of his unconscious.

Speaking of Abed, Harmon also mentioned that this week they are shooting an episode where the gang plays the classic role-playing game 'Dungeons & Dragons,' with Abed (natch) as the Dungeon Master. More on both episodes after the jump.

On what he decided the characters would look like once they entered Abed's Winter Wonderland: "We just kind of riffed on that stuff. We kind of went back and forth on a couple of things. Like should Britta be a ballerina for the sake of irony, and in that case what would Annie be? And then we finally just settled on that this is Abed's unconscious and you should just go with your first instinct and let your unconscious be Abed's unconscious in this case.

"Abed sees Jeff [who is portrayed as a Jeff-in-the-box] as a big talking head with limited practical functionality, and he sees Pierce [portrayed as a teddy bear] as maybe deserving of more love than he gets, and sees Troy as a soldier, and sees Britta [who's portrayed as a robot] as a malfunctioning device, and sees Annie [portrayed as a ballerina] as a creature of grace, and sees Shirley as a big baby who feels entitled to the Christmas of her choosing."

On the slow process of doing stop-action animation: "(The animators are) incredibly dedicated people who practice this sadly dying craft of moving these little fingers and heads one frame per frame every day. They watch weeklies instead of dailies in this process, and I remember them celebrating because they got four minutes done in a week."

On the moment during the making of the Christmas episode that blew him away: "I took a photo of the characters sitting at the study room table. It was the study room set that really blew my mind when I saw some of the puppets sitting there. Our study room is like our 'Cheers' bar or our 'Star Trek' bridge, it's a woumb of comfort. So seeing that done in miniature and seeing the characters sitting around it in their little wooden chairs, it really... it just blew my mind.

"The idea that you, going into your second season to have this chance to feel like you're working on a classic TV show, so classic that now you're experimenting with looking at the characters through a different lens, it's just incredibly self-indulgent and satisfying."

On the upcoming 'Dungeons & Dragons' episode: "It couldn't be less pricey. They're sitting at a table playing 'Dungeons & Dragons' for the entire episode. I love it, the actors love it. Sony has high hopes for this show in terms of accessibility, and they made me promise that this episode wouldn't be a nerd-fest, and I'm just giggling because I disappoint them so much sometimes.

"Yeah, (the Dungeon Master) is Abed. There's some things you do because you don't want to be that predictable but then there's other things that if you didn't do them you'd be shooting yourself in the foot, like if Abed was sitting there playing and Troy was the Dungeon Master. It wouldn't work.

"Chevy's character (Pierce) is kind of the villain of the episode, he definitely steals the episode."

On doing conceptual vs. non-conceptual episodes: "Between seasons, I remember saying to you that we had to come out swinging and see how many of these things would be too much to do. And the answer is the amount that makes you run out of money. Another answer would be the amount that makes the audience stop believing that the characters are real. Now I feel like I'm starting to get an accurate measurement of how much is too much in terms of so-called conceptual episodes. And also getting better and getting more permission creatively to make sure that in its own right even the non-conceptual epsidoes have something conceptual about them that can keep me entertained.

"This most recent episode where they all go out drinking, to me that is a conceptual episode, because the concept is what if they're off Greendale the entire episode, what if they all got s--tfaced, what if the episode took a dark turn, all kinds of things that are narratively little games that I play with the template of the show and see what works and what doesn't".

On why the drinking episode is considered by audiences to be one of the most "normal" ones of the season: "The audience's definition of normal is when they feel like the characters on the TV are real. And the audience's definition of conceptual is when they start to not feel that way, when they're conscious of the fact that the show is a show. And that's a good definition to go by, that's the metric that we should be using.

"The key is to try, when we're doing something that's going to constantly remind you that you're watching a tv show... the paintball episode is a perfect example because that worked. That's a huge constant reminder that you're watching a TV show because there's a stylized thing happening. So the writers made this very smart decision that "we've got to do this extreme thing on the characters' side," i.e. Jeff has sex with Britta. In a truly conceptual episode you have to be balancing it inside with that ballast. And, I knew at the time that no one would look at last week's like it's a conceptual episode. They might look at it as tonally a shift or something different.

"What I'm learning over time is that the show can get more and more real and find other ways to entertain myself that the audience doesn't have to feel clobbered by."

On why the zombie episode may have been a step too far: "But then you have this other crazy conversation where you go: OK, you wake up the next morning after the events of the paintball episode and you look in the newspaper, and it says 'Local community college has paintball game that gets out of control" That's what the headline would say. "Someone built a fire in the cafeteria, someone set off a paint bomb in the study room." And you would go "eh, wow, weird," and you'd keep reading your newspaper.

"With the events of the Halloween episode, you'd read it in the paper the next day and you'd check the paper to make sure it's not The Onion, like this is a joke paper. There's a whole new definition of conceptual vs. non-conceptual: What is causing your suspension of disbelief to wobble at all.

"I don't think we'll ever go quite that far again, because I found a boundary there and I started feeling my nose bleed... because you can see at the end, I said 'Well, they all forget; they don't remember,' because I don't want characters in my universe arguing about who hurt whose feelings last night, and then someone says, 'Hey, remember when we found out the millitary was keeping a horrible rage virus from the American public?' (laughs)
And we all just stop arguing about who took the remote control. I don't want to have that bell rung if it can't be unrung. So I safeguarded it with amnesia, and I don't know if I want to go that deep out there again."

On whether staying at 8PM on Thursdays was a vote of confidence from NBC: "I very much do. I'd be a fool to see it as a vote of "you're the new 'office'" for sure, because then they'd move us to later. But I do see it as their acknowledgment, and they do say so and I believe them, that we hold the line there in a way that is remarkable considering the competition that is continually being moved there, and that they're very proud of us and that our performance is well-noted.

"I do see it as a vote of... a strange form of confidence... the kind of confidence that Texas had at the Alamo." (laughs)

On his guest wishlist: "I'd love for Kevin Corrigan to come back and reprise his role (from the conspiracy episode). I'd love for Betty White to come back."

On some of the stories we'll see in the season's second half: "There's an episode where Pierce has a little bit of a clinical problem and he starts to spiral out of control and finally address that. And there's a larger seasonal sort of soap opera thing we're going to tackle.

"By and large, I want to stay modular. When you're on the bubble as they say you're job is to not serialize and not take yourself too seriously, continue to keep your lemonade stand clean and keep your lemonade fresh and free of seeds. It's only our business to anybody that happens to wander along and is thirsty is going to get the best glass of lemonade, no matter when they do it. It's not going to say "to be continued" and it's not going to say "previously on..." It's just going to be a good glass of lemonade. We're hunkering down and breaking interesting stories that pit these characters together in interesting ways."

'Community' airs Thursdays at 8PM ET on NBC.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that A) the "soap opera thing" is Shirley's baby with Chang (and by the way, that's still the most insane thing in the episode for me- that the writers felt they should wipe away everything from the episode except for the baby) and B) we're already seen the seeds of Pierce's clinical problem in a developing pill addiction after he broke his legs. Which is interesting, because I was surprised at first just that they carried over the broken legs from the Nazi Garden of Eden episode. But the writers apparently have a much bigger ambition for that. Little moments like Jeff's "Pierce. What are you doing. Explain yourself" as he fumbles with the cake might be slightly sadder in context.

The other thing I noticed if A) and B) are true is that both arc stories involve what could be argued are the least conventionally involved characters in the study group on an episode-to-episode basis.

First commercial break in- something feels off with the pacing/acting in this episode because of the stop-motion. I got this feeling from the preview vids, too.

Remote control Christmas Pterodactyl!

It just got real up in that cave of memories.

Huh. I feel like a lot of his episode's message was lost on me because my cold dead heart doesn't have much sentimentality about Christmas.

I missed it. I'll have to watch again.

It did seem a bit slow to start because you did have to get used to the stop-motion animation (they just kind of dropped you into it, maybe would've been easier had they started normal and segued into the animation), but eh, no matter. Still a great episode. I love the characters each person turned into (John Oliver as a wizard was just awesome. And "Jeff-In-The-Box"-clever. His Tim Burton line cracked me up, as did the use of the pterodactyl. What was with that?). I love the way each character got "disposed of", and the reason as to why. I like that Pierce was the one who was the last to hang on in Abed's journey, given his usual personality.

And because I am a sentimental sap, I love that everyone came back to support Abed at the end (the letter from his mom actually about broke my heart. That's so sad :(. I felt really bad for him).

Also, if there is an mp3 out there of the group holiday song, I want it. Cute song, fun to hear everyone sing (Shirley's voice-man. And Jeff singing as well :cute:).

Angela

Wow, Community can be really bipolar. This season has had some of the most impressive character dialogues/set pieces I know of (201 and the bottle episode); then it pivots and clunkily stamps out Big Ideas like this week. Nothing felt very natural on rewatch. Dan Harmon hits the monotonous "Shirley explicitly notes she's a Christian" mark, Annie's issues with her parents' religion felt flabby rather then intimate, and the idea about Christmas sentimentality felt forced, like a target the writers panicked trying to reach so they wrote out the moral at the end so no one missed it. It didn't feel like a natural result of the narrative.

Besides the novelty, I don't think I'm going to watch this episode again.

Pierce, I'm gonna tell you what my mother told me when I wanted to quit cheerleading. You're not very pretty, you have no boobs, and you can't do a basket toss to save your life; but you made a commitment. So pick up your pom poms Pierce, stuff your bra, and get ready for the team bus to forget you at a Taco Bell because life is tough. But we soldier on, and that's just the way it goes.

And there are some great Advanced Criminal Law outtakes on the DVD between Annie and Pierce during his composing session.

Christmas time is a time to sing
That’s what Christmas is for

Christmas can even be a Hanukkah thing

And for a huge percentage of this God-fearing planet
It’s about the birth of Jesus Chriiiiiiist

But for the rest of us it’s still a good time
To remember that it’s good to be nice

Music and cookies and liquor and trees!

Video games for two straight weeks