Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Chris Martin and his sneaky gypsies ways. I pretend like nobody had used that joke before and you alll nibbled on it because I used an alternate spelling for U2, and pretended it was entirely different.

You're on to me now though...

saw a comment on the new coldplay video saying "now i know how U2 fans felt in 1997 when pop came out" or something, i don't know what to say to that..

it's an interesting song, i actually quite liked it more than I expected (wasn't a fan of the last album).

i honestly think I would have like it more had I not been watching the video, what the hell was that?!

Really enjoyed that. If the whole album is that good, I'll be happy.

As for rankings, mine is the same as cori's.

It's amazing how many people who normally don't post in B&C show up for a Coldplay thread.

I personally thought Pop was a natural progression from what they had done with Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

If anything was a surprising shift in direction, it was Achtung Baby.

Now I'm off to get my affairs in order before Scumbo comes to kill me.

I agree about the natural progression for sure.

But if we were Coldplay, I don't think it's that clear.

yeah agreed about Pop being the natural progression, i'm sure some would even argue it's a "return to form" after OST1 :hmm:

I personally think that there's a lot of really distinct "atmosphere" in Viva La Vida. The opening by itself, with Life In Technicolor into Cemeteries of London. The codas on Lovers In Japan and Yes.

Etc.

Eno is all over that album, and in a good way.

I really didn't like Viva La Vida at all when it came out. It sounded pretentious and like random-Coldplay if you tried to imagine stripping Eno of those songs.
But now I quite like it and I think it's their second best effort.

I'd give A Rush Of Blood To The Head a 7.9/10; Viva La Vida a 7.2/10; Parachutes a 7/10; X&Y a 6/10; and Miley Cyrus a 5.8/10.

Yeah, even if there isn't a single original note in the song, at least it isn't Mylo Xyloto.

This is the only positive spin I can see. James Blake/Bon Iver trappings and Muzak that will put Delilah listeners to sleep. Their last album was horrendous but the singles were insidiously catchy, this one won't catch on if this is indicative of their direction.

Is there really much to rank with Coldplay?

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head

2. Parachutes

3. Viva La Vida
4. "Low" off of X&Y

The rest don't need to exist in my mind.

I'd say only coming into the "other music" sub-forum to discuss Coldplay is pretty fucking narrow-minded, and therefore pathetic. Not surprising considering the freaks who make up 90% of interference.

I saw this thread was created (as I have the old Coldplay thread blocked), and popped into see what was up. I listened to the new song. I actually defended Martin against claims of pretension.

It's not like I'm in here simply to troll.

Coldplay - LP 6

Maybe they only like Coldplay? It's not any different from me only bothering with 4 or 5 threads in Bang and Clatter. I'm not gonna jump into the Haim thread if I don't know who they are. Or should I?

I don't think that they should be condemned for entering an area of the message board to discuss something that they enjoy, and after reading what you just wrote, pressured to leave what must apparently seem to them to be some sort of exclusive club. Patronising.

Coldplay - LP 6

Wait..maybe I'm blithely unaware but pretty sure most who have commented in this thread have participated in other B&C discussions..or have I missed something?

I mean, it's not nearly as bad as the person who's only contribution to the entire fucking forum is posts about Oasis (or Avril Lavigne). Not U2 and [insert single artist other than U2]. Just said artist. Seriously, that's some stupid shit right there.

I didn't realise there were rules in the FAQ that you're only allowed to post in B&C if you contribute to threads for at least 10 different B&C-seal-of-approval bands.

Seriously, you don't like Coldplay, Oasis, MadForIt, Avril, whatever, block them and shut up. The fans will appreciate it.

Please. If there isn't a rule about joining and participating in this forum for the sole purpose of discussing and promoting some other band other than U2, then there should be. Written or unwritten.

I could have sworn there was something to that effect but it may have been worded "solely to promote one's product or service". Yeah, that was probably it. But anyways the FAQ about the rules link seems to be dead, getting a page not found error. Hmm.

I'm totally on board with the frustration of many EYKIW posters here who seem to think music begins and ends with U2.

But frankly, discussing music is like my favourite thing in the world to do, and if there's three extra people in the Coldplay thread who don't really post elsewhere in B&C I couldn't care less :shrug:

Please. If there isn't a rule about joining and participating in this forum for the sole purpose of discussing and promoting some other band other than U2, then there should be. Written or unwritten.

I could have sworn there was something to that effect but it may have been worded "solely to promote one's product or service". Yeah, that was probably it. But anyways the FAQ about the rules link seems to be dead, getting a page not found error. Hmm.

If I'm the Che Guevara (to you and some other users), with these type of comments, you're like what? Stalin? Franco? Mussolini?
Who lost all credibility now?

Anger!!!! Coldplay!!!! Serious business!!!! Chemtrails are controlling our brains and making us like Chris Martin!!!!! DJ Dog Dick!!!!! It was all yellow!!!!! Come on skinny love, just last the year!!!

So I thought I'd go back and give Mylo another chance this morning just because I dig the new song.

Nope. Still awful. There's that one song (track 5 I think) that sounds like it could have been on Parachutes. Otherwise, it's a stinker.

Remember when this part of the forum was just the Radiohead thread? Good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom