coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leeloo said:
Pearl Jam? Give me a break but they haven't been 'big' in many years! They have become sort of a cult classic band that caters to a specific following and not much of their stuff is even famous anymore. Just because you like them doesn't make them the 'biggest band in the world' :eyebrow: Radiohead also may be very popular among posters here but has very limited appeal which stops them from being all that 'big.'

sorry, but i don't measure "Big" as in what the pop music stations play.

and yes, i like pearl jam, i like them a lot, but so do millions and millions of other people. that's what makes them big.

mikal said:

sorry, but i don't measure "Big" as in what the pop music stations play.

Then the correct term should be YOUR favorite band, not the world's biggest band.

and yes, i like pearl jam, i like them a lot, but so do millions and millions of other people. that's what makes them big.

Dream on, but Pearl Jam is NOT fucking NOT the biggest band in the world. That's a fact not a fantasy! Get a grip on reality man!

seabird, have a smoke and pop in your new NOW cd. maybe that will cheer you up.

get a grip on reality? hey, at least i'm not naming a band that hasn't released an album in over 3 years as the "biggest band in the world."

My thoughts as a huge U2 fan and a Coldplay enthusiastic (not huge fan, just new fan)

-first of all... a guy put on the same line Coldplay and Creed... WHAT????? that's so moronic... Creed had it's time until everyone realised that all of their songs were the same. And what band doesn't have a bass player???, c'mon!!!

- Coldplay is (without a doubt) my next favorite (active) band. That's when U2 stops, around 2010.

- All of Coldplay SINGLES are like the same = they finish like they started. But that's only the singles. Go listen to "Marianne", "A Rush of blood to the head", "Everything's not lost". Those are trully amazing songs. Marianne is the first rock and roll love song I've heard (by that I mean non-stop rock and roll, fast). Maybe I've heard another one, but I don't remember.

- Someone said that they aren't lyrically strong... have you listened to THE SCIENTIST ????, but I mean really listen. It's the most beautiful song I've heard this year (really sad though). And that one doesn't end like it begins.

- The Stones are OK, but to be the biggest rock band you should be able to play at least 3 times a week. Maybe they have played 3 times a week, but with that I'm saying that it takes them more from show to show. Nice DVD though (that's how a DVD should be)

- The only downside is that Chris Martin is too aggressive. All that reporters-fights stuff is bad. He's like Bad Bono. (we like God Bono :wink: )

- They have (believe it or not) uplifting songs: Everything's not lost, God put a smile... , Yellow (way too overplayed, but great anyway)

-Chris Martin sings beautyfully, just go download "Politik" with the NY Philharmonic Orchestra from the 2003 Grammys. And he will improve, like King Bogaloo did (87-93 style)

- They have the capacity to be the biggest band in the world, especially when U2 retires.

The fact is that Coldplay is right now the biggest rock band of the world, because:

1-Their music is reallly apealing (God put a smile..., Yellow, One I Love). I'm hard to sell and fell amazingly fast for The Scientist

2- 50 cent??? :no: c'mon.... he looks really like a pimp or a "Rocky" extra. He looks like those guys you don't know if they are angry with you or what... And his songs suck... He will never get out of the shadow of Eminem... that guy really rocks... or raps... or who cares

3- The Stones are good, but they haven't changed the set list in ten years. Kiss ... I love them, but same problem. Aerosmith... stuck in Walk This Way. Metallica... something's missing.

4- Robbie Williams is the biggest act of the world, but he is pop.
If he were rock, HE would be the biggest rock thing in the world, but he is the the biggest POP thing in the world, period (take that, Beyonce... you suck)
PS: how can RW handle to gather 350 thousands in 3 days at Knewborth?. Can U2 do the same? (my heart says YES, mi mind cries NO :sad:)

5- U2 is not around.

To wrap things up, Coldplay IS the biggest rock band in the world, because they are great an there's nobody around to top them.
Radiohead is for really down people or posers. Their problem is that they are just too weird with their music. It's great and all, but not everybody can relate to them or their music. (Thom York still looks like a high school rebel, I can't follow him to the End of the world like Bono.)
Pearl Jam had the opportunity to be the biggest rock band, and they blew it with the post-jeremy-no-more-videos-because-it-was-too-hard-for-us stuff and the guys-dying-in-our-concerts-making-us-retire-from-the-public-eye thing. It was OK to fell bad, but not to dissapear. They are great musicians (Mike McCready rules), but they have focused on the fans, which is cool, but that says "we don't want to be for the world, just for our fans", and that rules them out.
I know U2 will come this year and hopefully show those Coldplay brats what they (U2) are made of. :drool:

My mind rests knowing that when U2 retires, I already have a backup band :wink:

PEPO
U2 & COLDPLAY FAN (I prefer the Larry M?llen Jr. Band rather than those 2... )

Last edited:
so what makes the biggest band in the world?

record sales + critical aclaim + tour ticket sales + media coverage = biggest band in the world

(in my opinion)

have U2 ever played in knebworth?, at the castle ?(i think thats where robbie played :scratch:)

if this tours gonna be big...they have to do atleast 2 nights there

I think what it makes a band to be the biggest band in the world is to actually make people talk about you (no, Interference doesn't count). "Have you heard this band?", "have you seen Coldplay's new video?", "have you listened U2's new album?".
This is NO FAN BASE I'm talking about, regular people talking, people who could eventually become fans

Of course record sales does count

And specially critical aclaim... those are hard to convince. People watch music shows, and when magazines and other media stuff, they all see in a band that they are the biggest band, I don't think that everybody could be so wrong. (maybe Rolling Stone and MTV, both still think Nirvana is alive and better than God :madspit: )

It's all like a snow ball. When one appears, there's no stoping

Coldplay!!!!!!

U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Last edited:
Mikal, I am not a lame NOW fan. I have been an avid observer of the music scene since most likely before you were born. I'm sorry, but Pearl Jam cannot qualify as the biggest band in the world because they are not that popular with enough people in the mainstream or the media, and as wrong as that may seem, it's the way it is. BIG cannot be achieved without exposure. There are bands I like better than the ones on the current scene too but I do not presume to label them the biggest band in the world just because I think they should be.

Last edited:
Ok, Coldplay fans. I have never heard a Coldplay record all the way through and that's because I haven't yet heard a Coldplay song that I like (on the radio, or in a video, etc.) I also know that sometimes the singles aren't necessarily the good songs so perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them yet. But what I've heard just sounds bland to my ear, kinda white bread and not even remotely interesting. I was watching a live concert on TV months ago and I changed the channel after 2 or 3 songs because I found them so incredibly uninteresting. What am I missing? Can somebody recommend some songs that I might not have heard that demonstrate why they are considered by many to be the next possible best band in the world? I just don't get it. :shrug:

It must be me then. Coldplay bores me to tears. The singer doesn't sing, he whines. I feel they are extremely overrated.
But, they are very popular. They just don't do a thing for me though. The music I"ve heard by them sound to me like 3rd
rate Roger Waters songs.

Last edited:
mikal said:
no zoney! this is the most brilliant post in this thread!:wink:

Indeed. EP's post is now second.

I am not sure if they are the best band in the world, but I do know Coldplay is FAR better than Zappa. :wink:

RockNRollDawgie said:
It must be me then. Coldplay bores me to tears. The singer doesn't sing, he whines. I feel they are extremely overrated.
But, they are very popular. They just don't do a thing for me though. The music I"ve heard by them sound to me like 3rd
rate Roger Waters songs.

Thank you :bow:

Chris is the whiniest thing I can't stand to listen to, and second place is Thom Yorke :scream: *fingernails on chalkboard* :uhoh:

As everyone knows, I dislike Coldplay and cannot understand the appeal. But if people like them, whatever, go for it. But I don't think they're the biggest band though. They are big right now and getting a lot of TV and press time mostly due to Chris Martin's marriage to Gwyneth Paltrow, who is always a draw for celebrity stories. But I would not give them the biggest band title, and I doubt they will stand the test of time like U2 has. As a matter of fact, in one of those ET stories on the couple, I heard from Martin's own mouth he was looking forward to taking a few years off and raising a family in peace. He said he didn't like the pressure of people expecting something great from him. I think he's got his money and is going into his fat and happy stage so many stars reach as albums become less frequent.

ok...who here in the pool had "45th post' for when U2Kitten would mention that she hate Chris Martin? Speak up and collect your money! :D :wink:

zoney! said:
ok...who here in the pool had "45th post' for when U2Kitten would mention that she hate Chris Martin? Speak up and collect your money! :D :wink:

As many times as somebody starts 'Coldplay is the biggest band in the world' threads. :lol:What is this, the fourth or fifth in the last couple months? :crack:

Hey give me credit, I saw this thread, but held my tongue until someone else said it first, then I just replied to it so since the other person didn't get bashed I figured it was okay. I thought my other comments (his comments on the future of the band) were an interesting tidbit no one else had posted before.

U2Kitten said:
Hey give me credit, I saw this thread, but held my tongue until someone else said it first, then I just replied to it so since the other person didn't get bashed I figured it was okay. I thought my other comments (his comments on the future of the band) were an interesting tidbit no one else had posted before.

Yes!!!! You deserve credit. :lol: :D :D

Just because some people on this board don't like Coldplay doesn't mean they aren't the biggist band on the plannet RIGHT NOW. If everyone liked them they would sell over 287,000,000 albums. Not everyone likes U2 as a matter of fact A LOT of people hate U2 they were still the biggist band on the planet.

Thats your opinion not fact!!!

Justin Timberlake is bigger than Coldplay but I don't like him :lol: I never said they weren't big, just not the biggest and most popular thing out there. Because Justin Timberlake is :dance:

I think for an alt rock band Coldplay is pretty big... They need an exciting album... something that isn't so minimal and bare bones and slow.... Politik had a good idea... but the rest of the album slowed down too much... I think Coldplay is great and its not too far feteched to call them great... If you can get praise from critics and love from teenyboppers, there is a hint of greatness there...

Hendrix, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, Janis Joplin, Cream, etc... not many studio albums at all and they are considered legends if not fitting the "big" description so its not to far off of an idea to consider Coldplay big after two fine albums...

I own Coldplay's cds and I must admit that they create beautiful heartfull music but...

...but they don't rock my world at all.
:huh: :huh:

there's nothing really special about them, great tunes yes but they lack something... ...the spark that put U2 into rock n' roll heaven... ...the wholeness of a band... ...they tend to repeat themselves and I truly believe that a constant changing like U2's is only a dream for them and for the masses of the other RNR band!

I was in Slane I, they were cute but far from a great rock n' roll band. Maybe they can do their thing well in a small place but they cannot make a crowd explode!

In Slane they were easily pressed against the corner by RHCP and the 4 irishmen.

Said that I believe that "Everyting's not lost" is one of the most touching and emotional song my ears have ever heard.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I think that the recent salon.com article summed up Coldplay's shortcomings very well when it described them as "U2 without the very real grandeur". Their music is undeniably gorgeous, but most of the times it doesn't really achieve this epic, soaring feeling they clearly strive for. Maybe it's because Chris Martin, while a talented singer and a very charming frontman, just doesn't have the sort of "big" presence and personality that would -really- charge the songs.

Zoney unless there is some kind of anti Coldplay mafia in Interference, I dont think U2kitten is alone in what she thinks :D
Who wants to hear the 1034 reasons why I dont like Coldplay?

What, no one? :ohmy:
It's just my opinion people!!
:uhoh:

hmm, I would want to hear them
you have 2 more reasons why you don't like them than me
I'm curious what they are :hmm:

Angela Harlem said:
Zoney unless there is some kind of anti Coldplay mafia in Interference, I dont think U2kitten is alone in what she thinks :D

Angie -

I was joking with U2kitten and she knows it. It is all in good fun! Everytime we have one of these stupid Coldplay threads, it becomes a stupid flame war between people....I knew U2kitten would respond...and we made a joke of it!

This thread has been done THREE HUNDRED times now. IT is getting old. U2Kitten knows that (she even stated that she gets flamed everytime she makes her opinion known about Coldplay), and I know that. We are agreeing on how old and tired this topic is.

If you have an issue with me....please PM me.

Fine. Just ignore me and please don't answer my sincere question, then. :angry:

zoney! said:

Angie -

I was joking with U2kitten and she knows it.
umm, I'll take a wild guess and say that angie was also joking

otherwise she probably would have pm'd you
she is a nicer mod than I am

Back
Top Bottom