Bloc Party - Weekend In The City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Bloc Party, who released 2004's popular Silent Alarm, are hoping to consolidate on the success of their debut album with the release of their second album, Weekend In The City, early next year.

Personally, I found Silent Alarm pretty decent. So Here We Are was one of the coolest singles of 2004, and Banquet, Like Eating Glass, Helicopter, Blue Light and Price Of Gas were enjoyable also.....

The Prayer, the first single which has been released to radio, has also been released in video form. I'm liking what I hear when I listen to The Prayer. Whilst distinctly Bloc Party in sound, it has a sweet chorus that is made most recognisable for the drawn out expression of the word "Unsto-pa-ble" which is intriguing enough. It's been growing on me......

Should be interesting to see how the fans and the critics recieve Bloc Party's sophomoric effort....

P.S Kaiser Chiefs are also due to release an as-yet-untitled new album early next year. First single will be "Ruby". Should be another interesting release...

I liked "Silent Alarm" a lot, it made it for my final top 10 at the end of the year

I have listened to "Weekend in the City" once, it's more serious, but less catchy... I need listen to it more

i must revive this little thread because i :heart: bloc party

my friend bought tickets to see them in chicago in march and i'm totally stoked. GA and everything! :hyper: plus the support act is apparently albert hammond jr - maybe i'll hear 409! :wink:

I have not heard Weekend in the City, but I have heard The Prayer and I love it. It's very Bloc Party (like She's Hearing Voices and Postive Tension) but definitely has a new sound. The beat is kind of hip hop. Matt Tong! :love: I only wish iTunes had it; all they have are some remixes. I've also heard I Still Remember, which is the first US single from the album. Like that one a lot too.

bloc party is my hope for the future of music.

the videos for The Prayer and I Still Remember are on youtube, fyi. that's how I heard the songs. Otherwise they're not in the US yet, not on iTunes anyway. The album leaked in like November or something but somehow I haven't gotten it yet :wink:

I haven't heard anything from the new album yet. In fact, I didn't even know it had leaked. Must resist temptation to hop on a torrent... :drool:

When does it come out again? Feb 4?

A Weekend in the City is now streaming on myspace... :drool: I'm on the second song now, Hunting for Witches...great riff. this may be the "Banquet" of this album.

Tuesday is when the album is released

you can pre-order it on iTunes and get a bonus track and the video for I Still Remember (which is a really cool video!). and the single I Still Remember is available to buy as well. i'm really in love with the song, I think it's absolutely beautiful.

having listened to the whole album now I can officially say it's very good :up: it drags a little on the last two songs, but I'm sure they'll grow on me. so far I like them all, and Uniform is definitely the most epic song Bloc Party has ever done. Like "This Modern Love" but much bigger. so far I'd say the best are Hunting for Witches, The Prayer, Uniform, and I Still Remember.

AMAZING!!!!

I just saw them live last night at The Wiltern in L.A. :applaud: Hands down THE BEST show I've been to in a loooong time!! I thought I was going to :combust: during "Like Eating Glass"; it was so great!! :hyper:

The new songs sounded wonderful too. I think they may have had a bit of technical issues with the lead microphone and the guitars.

But, who cares? It's ALL ABOUT MATT TONG! He was just amazing! So great!

I know I'm going in circles here, but I just can't emphasize enough how much fun I had and how awesome they were.

If you get a chance GO, GO, GO!!!! :)

new album is pretty alright, but i still like silent alarm much better.

saw them live last tour and they put on a great show. would love to hear song for clay live. GREAT SONG (even got me to read less than zero, ha ha)

Finally got around to getting the new album. It's solid. I'm a little underwhelmed, but I've only listened to it once. :wink: I'll give it a few more spins and see if it grows on me. It probably will, as I definitely like the more serious tone to it. Silent Alarm is like a non-stop party, and A Weekend In The City is like the morning after. A bit slow and groggy, but sobering up.

A Weekend in the City is definitely a grower. Some songs I originally overlooked (like Waiting for the 7.18 and On) are now my favourites...along with Uniform and Where is Home?. the chorus of Where is Home = incredible

I saw Bloc Party in Chicago yesterday. it was pretty amazing. pushed my way up to the rail so I was right up front on Russell's side. Great crowd, lots of moshing - some guy even managed to get on stage :lol:. Song for Clay and Uniform were two of the highlights, so the new material works well live. still, it's all about some motherfucking Postive Tension. It's the stuff from Silent Alarm that really gets people going. What energy! overall a fantastic show, go see Bloc if you have the chance. get GA and have a blast jumping up and down a lot

AtomicBono said:
I saw Bloc Party in Chicago yesterday. it was pretty amazing. pushed my way up to the rail so I was right up front on Russell's side. Great crowd, lots of moshing - some guy even managed to get on stage :lol:. Song for Clay and Uniform were two of the highlights, so the new material works well live. still, it's all about some motherfucking Postive Tension. It's the stuff from Silent Alarm that really gets people going. What energy! overall a fantastic show, go see Bloc if you have the chance. get GA and have a blast jumping up and down a lot

Glad you had a great time. :up: I told you you would! :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
Finally got around to getting the new album. It's solid. I'm a little underwhelmed, but I've only listened to it once. :wink: I'll give it a few more spins and see if it grows on me. It probably will, as I definitely like the more serious tone to it. Silent Alarm is like a non-stop party, and A Weekend In The City is like the morning after. A bit slow and groggy, but sobering up.

This one definitely grows on you. I felt the same way after the first few listens, but now I can't take it out of my CD player!

Give "On", "Kreuzberg" and "Sunday" a chance. They're soooooo good! And nothing beats the 1-2 punch of "Hunting for Witches" into "Waiting For The 7.18"--the 2 best songs on the album!

Bloc Party :drool:

The album's already starting to grow on me. The intro to Hunting For Witches is so damn cool.

I wish they were touring somewhere near me. It's a pity they won't be in Ontario in early June when I go to see Roger Waters. :( This is really why I need to live in a big city. I would honestly move somewhere else just to get tickets to see all the bands I love. For the most part, only the lamest of the lame come to Newfoundland. Honestly, look at the lineup for Mile One Centre for the next few months:

Chantal Kreviazuk
Rex Goudie
Kenny Rogers
Gordon Lightfoot
Nana Mouskouri
Charley Pride

:sick:

I know the feeling GibsonGirl. I live in Indianapolis which is a fairly large city, but I still end up having to travel to see a lot of the bands I want to see (like Bloc Party). luckily I have a couple other big cities within a day's drive.

Hunting for Witches is baller, and so much fun to play on guitar (though I can't get the intro to sound quite right, Russell's doing something with harmonics on the 7th fret, perhaps I just don't have the exact effect)

I wish I was a day's drive from a big city. I could drive to Halifax in a day...only I'd have to take a ferry to get there. And no-one comes to Halifax either. :lol:

I can't stop listening to this album! Third time was definitely the charm.

I still haven't got this album yet!....... and i started this thread!

Here's something from the WEEKEND IN THE CITY wikipedia article. Dunno whether it's true:

Liam Gallagher said in an interview for The Guardian, that he regretted his negative comments about the band when he heard this album. And that the final track, SRXT, made him "cry into a cushion for 15 minutes."[citation needed]

intedomine said:

Liam Gallagher said in an interview for The Guardian, that he regretted his negative comments about the band when he heard this album. And that the final track, SRXT, made him "cry into a cushion for 15 minutes."[citation needed]

I would believe this. SRXT is a TOTAL tearjerker!!!! :sad: A song about suicide titled after an anti-depressant drug. Wow. I think this album goes beyond the hangover!

"I remember moments of happiness
Endless summer, acoustic guitaaaaars
Being a man made me course
When I wanted to be delicate"

I can't stop listening to SRXT. This is the saddest song Bloc Party have ever written.

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her

:(

I'm addicted, so I got tickets to see them again at this little amphitheatre nestled up against the San Diego mountains. Kind of like Red Rocks, but only in San Diego and way, WAY smaller! It's gonna be SOOOOOO awesome!

And I really, REALLY hope they play "SRXT"; it is such an AMAZINGLY beautiful and sad song. :drool:

YAY! Bloc Party, again, June 16th!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh yeah, and this time I've got GA on the floor, and not stuck up in the balcony. So you know I'm pushing my way all the way up front so I can see Matt up close and scream for his Amazing Spectacular drumming!)

Last edited:
I'm falling more and more in love with this album everytime I listen to it... It's much better than the first one in my opinion...
I really hope I can see them this Summer... They're coming to a festival in the same day as Arcade Fire...

FitzChivalry said:

And I really, REALLY hope they play "SRXT"; it is such an AMAZINGLY beautiful and sad song. :drool:

they played it in Chicago :) the beginning wasn't so great because people wouldn't stop shouting, which was kind of annoying because it'd be so much more powerful if people would just listen. but, great climax.

have fun with GA, it's awesome :drool: get there like an hour early I'd say, at least. people do line up.

i want to see bloc again...

Let's Drive To Brighton For The Weekend....

Finally bought the album. It's a grower. Stand out tracks are Waiting For The 7.18, I Still Remember and Song For Clay.

Where Is Home? remains horrible for me after two listens. Hopefully, that will grow after a few more listens.

I find SRXT very hard to listen to. A depressing tune.

I've always found Kele O a little frustrating as a lyricist (and still do to some extent), but how intriguing are some of the lyrics on this album? I can't help but wonder at some of the ideas he's trying to address.

FitzChivalry said:

:yes: Where Is Home? is definitely my least favorite song on the album, though I don't know whether I would go so far as to say that it is horrible.

really? I absolutely love Where is Home?. The chorus is so powerful, and I love the odd structure of the song, as well as the drums. it's one of my favourites :drool:

Back
Top Bottom