Banana, Kiribati Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Superthread. No U2 discussion allowed. Or else the sporks come out.

And is that book really THAT good? Everybody raves about it.

It's hysterical and at the same time very introspective. In other words, the opposite of U2 by U2.

IMG000227.png

Ok, I'm just posting this for anyone else who would realize how kick-ass it is that this book exists! Greatest gift I ever received? Possibly.

Does it involve Cinderella being an ecstasy-popping clubber?

Ashley, re. The Dark Tower series...I'm hesitant to even start reading them. I absolutely love King, and I've been recommended the Dark Tower series loads of times, but it just doesn't really appeal to me :|

Thank God I'm not alone! I mean it just bothers me that he ties pretty much EVERYTHING else he's written into the Dark Tower. It makes it seem to me that the other books he's written aren't even "real", that everything just exists in the Dark Tower, and that takes something away for me...:(. But...I admit the second and third book were decent.

Angels and Demons, Dan Brown

5/10

The only reason this book recieves 5/10 rather than a 1 is because the storyline is rather compelling. All that Brown has done here is slapped some shoddy Wikipidean research with historical inaccuracies and a lack of proper detailing together into an otherwise driven, possibly overly elaborate plot. The writing isn't bad. The research, on the other hand... What research?

She called Roxy Music goth :sad:

Just goes to show that wikipedia should never be used as a reference under any circumstances, unless you're just too lazy to look elsewhere. That's good enough.

Photo38.jpg

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. 10/10.

This really is great. It deserves its reputation. I would have read it in a single sitting but I forced myself to stop so that I could read some more of it the next day. Get it now.

I always start this book, but I'm assigned something else and get distracted. The whole thing is online, so I'll give in and read through it soon. The concept is fascinating to me.

Photo41.jpg

A History of New Zealand by Keith Sinclair. 7.5/10.

Most Kiwi households seem to have some edition of this. Do you think any of them have read it? No, most haven't. Shame too, since it's a very good, concise, accessible introduction to the country's history. Sinclair overlooks a lot of rather significant stuff and makes some pretty unjustifiable generalisations (he's very dismissive of all pre-Vogel politicians, for instance), and Michael King's History of New Zealand has now pretty much superseded this, but if you have it, give it a look.

Also, Sinclair was Pat Grimshaw's brother. Raewyn Dalziel, whose book on Julius Vogel I posted back at the start, was Sinclair's wife.

5/10

The only reason this book recieves 5/10 rather than a 1 is because the storyline is rather compelling. All that Brown has done here is slapped some shoddy Wikipidean research with historical inaccuracies and a lack of proper detailing together into an otherwise driven, possibly overly elaborate plot. The writing isn't bad. The research, on the other hand... What research?

Fuck Dan Brown.

...Sesame Street?! :love:

:fuckyeah:

Hello, everybodeee!

What did that say? On the cover, what did that say? Did that say there will be a monster at the end of this book? Oh, I am so scared of monsters!

Shh, listen, I have an idea, if you do not turn any pages, we will not get to the end of this book. And that is good because there is a monster at the end of this book, so please do not turn the page.

Wow, scary.

5/10

This is probably my favorite book ever for ALL the wrong reasons :lmao:. It's also kinda the reason Travis and I are together >_>. But seriously, it's something I would write! Action on every other page! short chapters! Conspiracies! Etc. It's just...oh it's so fucking hilarious. I've never laughed out loud while reading a serious book before...but speaking of Dan Brown...

:fuckyeah:

Hello, everybodeee!

What did that say? On the cover, what did that say? Did that say there will be a monster at the end of this book? Oh, I am so scared of monsters!

Shh, listen, I have an idea, if you do not turn any pages, we will not get to the end of this book. And that is good because there is a monster at the end of this book, so please do not turn the page.

Wow, scary.

:drool:

IMG000229.png

THE MOST OVER RATED BOOK OF ALL TIME. Seriously...there was nothing remotely special about this.

p1050712x.jpg

Michael Crichton - Next. 8/10

Hugely enjoyable story; one of my favourite Crichton books. However, for anyone who isn't down with a lot of biological terminology, some of the finer details may be lost. Also a few of the concepts are a bit bizarre and can distract from the story. Very well-written though, and a lightning-quick read.

U2 At The End Of The World - Bull Flanagan
A book that would never be allowed to be released now. Maybe that's why it's out of print. Actually interesting anecdotes about touring with U2.

Photo42.jpg

Alison loaned me her copy sometime last year. Finally got around to reading it on the train when I was travelling back from Queensland. Quite engaging, and a very revealing look into one of U2's most rubbish eras. Some fact-checking wouldn't have gone astray though (e.g. he claims U2 played two gigs in Mexico City in 1992; they did four).

I just wish it had been set in 1989.

p1050712x.jpg

Michael Crichton - Next. 8/10

Hugely enjoyable story; one of my favourite Crichton books. However, for anyone who isn't down with a lot of biological terminology, some of the finer details may be lost. Also a few of the concepts are a bit bizarre and can distract from the story. Very well-written though, and a lightning-quick read.

...is this some evolution thing? :shrug:, :knowszilchaboutbiology:

5/10

They're making a drama about it starring Tom Hanks, so I wouldn't expect it to be well-researched. Toy Story was more representative of reality than The Da Vinci Code.

Thud, Terry Pratchett.

8/10

You either love or hate Pratchett. It would perhaps be a fair assessment to call him the Oscar Wilde of our time for his witty, incisive and satirical insights and critiques of life. Usually, his books are a brilliant social commentary that serve as absurdly hilarious sketches of life. Thud is unfortunately not as cutting-edge as, say, Jingo or Small Gods, perhaps because it revolves around the mythos of the book's main character rather than serving as a commentary. That being said, this is Pratchett, and so the writing is superb as always.

Go and get it? I could do with some Sesame Street.

:ishavingwritersblock:

At work, not at home. So, can't. Sry. I could speak nadsat at you or recite one of Hamlet's soliloquy's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom