2012 AFL Thread III - Why Do We Even Bother With Our Stupid Teams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in the 8!

Now if the Tigers can pull out an upset we'll have control the rest of the way :hyper::hyper::hyper:

tumblr_m8xxsgxbx21rrz8mso1_400.gif

Welp, there goes the season.

The broadcast just finished. So, so utterly disappointed. I barely even know what to say, but here's some assorted thoughts that probably would've been posted during the course of the game had it been shown live:

1. So apparently without Fletch we have no defence. Looked like this would be a good close game until he went off, and then our defence simply disappeared.
2. From that moment, did we even try? Jobe Watson notwithstanding, of course.
3. Maybe we should've left Zaharakis out. Obviously not quite match fit and where the hell was his explosive running?
4. Says it all that Carlton scored more in the second quarter than we did in the entire game.
5. Maybe missing the finals after being TOP OF THE FUCKING TABLE MID-SEASON will make the team hungry for next year? I'm getting desperate here.
6. Speaking of which, greatest tank in AFL history? I read Melbourne did something similar in 1971, but I know finals was just a top five system then, so I don't know if they simply finished sixth, or if they managed to slide all the way to below eighth.
7. Fuck you, soft tissue.
8. Just to get in ahead of time, Danny and especially inte: shut up.

Oh well, hopefully Freo will make the eight rather than Carlton.

Easier road in for Carlton:

Freo takes a loss in this one or either of the next two (fairly likely, I'll be tipping North at home next week)
Freo beats Melbourne by roughly the same amount we beat Gold Coast to keep our percentage in front (likely)

Much tougher road, but possible:

North loses to Collingwood (likely)
North loses to Freo (far less likely, I would call it improbable)
North beats GWS by roughly the same amount we beat St. Kilda because we're going to need the Gold Coast game to catch their percentage (highly unlikely)

See the Bombers fly down, down
To lose a spot in the top eight
These boys who play this grand old game
Are always striving to tank and to fail
See the Bombers fly down, down
The other teams they do fear
The Dons try their best
But they can't get near
'Cause the Bombers fly down

Pav in a bit of doubt as well. Richmond are playing well and could pinch this one (I say that now, they will probably get steam rolled in the second half)

I did not expect Richmond to pull this out, but I did expect them to do what they always do: lose by 5-10. At least that would keep Freo's percentage down.

By the looks of it, Freo should almost have this sealed if they weren't inaccuracte.

Inaccuracte, you heard me. Yep, am drowning sorrows.

Except the time when they were nailing goal after goal against West Coast.

I hate the Dockers.

I wanted to watch this game, but I want to personally thank Sportlemon for not having a stream and saving me from watching this slop.

Is Ross Lyon the worst thing to happen to coaching in the last decade? Discuss.

2,000 words, 10% leeway, due Monday.

Bonus marks for well-substantiated sub-argument that the Saints would have won the 2009 and/or 2010 premierships under any other coach.

No side who finishes 5-8 has ever gone on to win the flag. The smart coaches , like Sheedy, should be sending the players who require surgery to the doctors and give the young ones a run.

Good ol AFL.com chat.

Alright, alright, I got the stream to work.

The Dockers are running out the fucking clock in the third fucking quarter.

Oh, that was sweet.

Fremantle pulling their pansy-ass bullshit, conceding territory, and Richmond made a terrific spoil, capitalizing with a goal.

Well the bit about being in the 5-8 area and not being able to win the flag is pretty correct. That has not happened in recent times and under this system.

The portion I call into question is strategizing with that in mind. Training young, inexperienced players in the finals because there's no hope once you fall to 5th? Ridiculous.

Yeah, only two teams have ever won from fifth - Melbourne pre-WWI and Adelaide in 1998. Nobody from lower. I think whoever scrapes in at eighth this year will lose no matter what, so for them it might be a good idea to give some younger players finals experience. Percentage doesn't matter, so if it blows up in your face, at least you gave your rising talent a chance in the pressure cooker of finals.

Be veeery interesting if Geelong finishes seventh, though (or even if they hold on to their current sixth and get a home first week final). What's the furthest an "away" team in an elimination final has advanced? Geelong this year may be the most likely team ever to have a chance at winning the premiership from outside the top five.

Percentage doesn't matter, so if it blows up in your face, at least you gave your rising talent a chance in the pressure cooker of finals.

This is a good point I hadn't considered. Nonetheless, I would never coach this way unless my side was down by 40-50 at three quarter time.

Yeah, I don't disagree, but honestly, the teams that finish seventh and eighth don't have that much of a chance to progress terribly far. A coach who's willing to do some radical plan and surprise their opponent rather than just sticking with the usual strategy from the season might get more success that way.

Yeah, I don't disagree, but honestly, the teams that finish seventh and eighth don't have that much of a chance to progress terribly far. A coach who's willing to do some radical plan and surprise their opponent rather than just sticking with the usual strategy from the season might get more success that way.

Particularly if it's a Carlton/Geelong situation and you've already faced off a couple times, yeah.

Well, this match is a lost cause. Way to go, Tigers. It's up to North to save us now.

Hate to say it, but carn the Pies. If North loses, the winner of North/Freo doesn't matter as long as the percentages stay close to ours.

Glad I'll be watching Collingwood/North. Dwayne is back for the Crows game. Wonder how many olympic lines he will drop tonight.

I don't think he has yet but I still wished they locked him in the stables back in London.

Jeez, Crows. Simmer down. You can't impress anyone with what's left on their fixture. Save that shit for the finals.

I just feel bad for Ashley

Wow, impressed North managed to get in front at quarter time. Hope this game delivers ... was going to go to a gig tonight but decided to stay home since the Tote's a pain to get to on a potentially damp Saturday and I've seen Laura plenty of times (and will see them again in October).

And shit oh dear, Brissie.

Some asshole on Sportlemon flipped the channel on the Pies/Roos match. I saw it happen, it was fucking funny, although now I have no stream.

Must have been a Pies supporter. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom