2004 NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:

too bad the rest of my picks are sucking.

Did anyone else see when there was an octopus thrown on the ice in Nashville, and they kept playing???

Someone skated over it and totally decapitated it! He was skating backwards and stepped on it and looked down and just stopped and stared at it like... :eyebrow:

:lmao:

I remember when someone threw a stuffed octopus on Patrick Roy and the newscasters were like "Ewwww! Gross! Oh man, that must smell!!"

It was so clearly plush, being tie-dyed, it made me want to purchase glasses for them on the spot.

Apparently those octopi really smell bad, despite the ice.

I know the whole story, but I will never understood the mentality of the first octopus thrower. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
The leafs back to back shutouts made me chant Eddie! Eddie! Eddie in my living room.

Bless those Leafs!

Wow what a rout against the Canucks tonight 4-0. I just can't believe how the Canucks are so bad at bringing the puck in and setting up a point. Without doing this successfully like many other teams are able to do they will never make it to the Cup. Tonight they had no heart imo and not one Canuck player played great yet Igilna was the best in this whole series so far. I didn't get pissed off watching tonight because the Canucks didn't have enough heart for me to care for them. I mean how can you care for something that looks like they don't care that much about their situation do you know what i mean. I had hopes that the infusion of Hedberg would have been some magical injection into the Canucks but they just didn't have it tonight. No matter how bad a goalie plays the rest of the team didn't score a goal. At least where goin back to Vancouver hopefully the crowd will scare the crap out of them into winning.

Michael Griffiths said:
despite coming off three 30 win seasons in a row, something that besides him only Brodeur has ever done

For some reason that doesn't sound right at all. Maybe I'll just go to my namesake for the proof (cujo, 1998-2001). Actually, he was only 2 wins away from 7 years in a row with 30 wins... injury proved the victor.

Anyway...

For me, the jury is out on Hedberg. He could take the Canucks far, or he could collapse. This injury could either make or break the Canucks, I suppose. I'm still betting on the former.

PS. Cujo, why have you changed your prediction from "Flames in seven" to "won't speculate"?

Well it's easy to cover your bases on a situation when you can foresee all possibilities. To me Hedberg is a more solid goaltender, in the fact that he can go on streaks that suffocate opposing offenses (maybe not a consistent trait, but one that surfaces more often than in Cloutier's case). I used to be a fan of Cloutier... that emotion seemed to propel his potential... but he seems more complacent now. In any event, I don't think the issue is the Canuck's goaltending... the problem is on the other side of the ice.

I never changed the prediction. Anything I say at the beginning stands... I just don't like to elaborate or discuss it while the series is progressing.

My Plea to all Vancouver fans: Stop saying the Canucks don't have heart.

It's insulting to all parties involved, and implies an attitude of superiority that is not yet deserved.

Ottawa

If you want to win, you have to learn how to score goals against the Leafs at the ACC. You're welcome.

The origin of the octopus

In the old days it took 8 victories to win the stanley cup (compared to the current 16) and it just so happens that an octopus has 8 appendages. Since then the tradition has carried on, no matter how irrelevant. Not as bad as the rats in Florida.

Last edited:
rats have four legs...If you throw four of em' onto the ice, the number of rat feet on the ice equals the number of victories needed for a Stanley Cup. Simple, Florida logic.

no no no

it started with mellanby

there was a rat running around in the locker room and so mellanby took a slap shot at it, it hit against the wall and landed in a trash can

the story got out and so people thought it would be cool to throw fake rats on the ice

I should be shot, but I'm actually cheering for the flames.....and I live in Edmonton!

Good start for Cujo last night....I'd say that last night was payback for last years first round sweep. Go Cujo!!!

I've got tickets for Saturday night, and will be of the small contigent of Edmonton fans still bitter about the beating Vancouver gave to our playoff hopes. That's right Vancity, I will be loathing you 3 tiers up and 3 beers down.

Go Flames.

Even though Joseph didn't see much action, he did show promise. Hopefully the goal support continues... otherwise he'll need to expand his job description. Vindication hasn't been earned yet, and there's plenty left to be proven.

Edgeman.

Last edited:
What a game last night. Calgary should have won that one, they were all over the Canucks. I'd have to say that the second OT was some of the best hockey I've seen all year. Hats off to those two very tired teams today.

But come monday....go flames go!

Yes, I was there. It was awesome. Calgary definitely outplayed Vancouver... I guess they won on "talent". And by talent I mean exhaustion and luck.

I shouldn't attend long overtime games between Calgary and Vancouver. Twice now the Flames get the shaft.

Another unfortunate event yesterday, although expected... Philadelphia beat the Devils. That means Philly will win the East.

:down:

Last edited:
Sounded like a great game. From what pretty much everyone's been saying (including Flames' coach, Sutter), The Canucks totally dominated the Flames the 1st half (how could they not with a 4-0 lead?) while the Flames dominated the 2nd half. Sounds like a gutsy effort by the Canucks though to get the win despite giving up the massive lead. Game 7 should be a beauty...if only I could watch.

The Flyers already won.

Holding on to a 4 goal lead, or at least a 1 goal lead might qualify as gutsy... but watching the game, Calgary outplayed the Canucks handily from the second period through triple overtime. Sometimes it's the lucky bounce that propels a victory, but I really don't know how Vancouver managed to muster a win on Saturday. It was a cruel blow for the effort and comeback the Flames gave...

The winner of this series might be too overworked for next round's opponents in waiting. San Jose or Detroit...

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more playoff games here, even though I would be cheering for the visitor.

:sexywink:

I just found out a few minutes ago that the Flames beat the Canucks in game 7. It hurts quite a bit (though as a Canucks fan, I'm used to it), but I just want to congratulate all you Flames fans out there (if any of you truly are Flames fans). It sounds like the Canucks just aren't good enough. They're exciting, yes, but possibly not built for the playoffs. There could be big changes in their roster before we see the next season of hockey. Hopefully Bertuzzi and Cloutier will be back.

See you all next season (whenever that may be)...

I'm crossing my fingers for a Toronto win in game 7. Just imagine another Philly/Toronto series....I smell blood already!

Go Leafs Go!

Not Clarke again.

Congratulations Flames, you have vindicated my prediction.

I'm excited to see some Detroit playoff games live.

My First Round Accuracy:

5-2 thus far.

I underestimated the resolve of the Canadiens and the abilities of David Aebischer. Shame on me. Next round will be interesting... Toronto, fulfill the series victory once again.

Starting to feel bad for Ottawa...

Back
Top Bottom