(12-17-2003) Putting the Boot In -- hotpress.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Putting the Boot In

Hotpress.com is reporting that Dublin record store Rhythm Records has been raided by police as part of a crackdown on the selling of bootleg recordings. The store, located on Aston Quay and a short stroll from Bono and Edge's Clarence hotel, has been a destination for U2 fans for years, offering not just bootlegs but also rare collectibles such as autographed records and copies of "U2 3."

Hotpress.com reports: "It is believed that among the items seized in the raid were unauthorised live recordings of acts such as U2, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen, among others. Rhythm Records has been well known in the past among music fans as an outlet for live recordings of major acts.

"The whole question of bootlegs has long been the subject of debate within the industry and among music fans. While piracy (i.e. counterfeit copying) is strictly illegal, the question of unauthorised recordings of live albums remains a grey area. Many acts turn a blind eye to such activity while others actively encourage it. When U2?s 1989 New Year?s Eve show at The Point was broadcast around the world and widely recorded, custom-made cassette covers appeared in with several magazines including hotpress and Q.

"A well-placed source in Dublin?s record retail world told hotpress that up until 2000 Ireland was one of the few countries in Europe where the selling of bootlegs was not considered to be illegal under the law. However, he confirmed that since then it had been made clear to those in the trade that bootlegs were now considered illegal and all that was required for action to be taken was a complaint to the Gardai."

To read the entire story, visit http://www.hotpress.com/politics/frontlines/2700488.html. You must be registered with hotpress.com to view the article.

Man that sucks! I went there a few times when I was living in Dublin and found some great items there! They had so many boots there it was like heaven...not to mention we tried to buy a cardboard cut out of the band but they wouldn't sell it to us :(

I go there every time I'm in Dublin. The people who work there are great! This really was mainly a U2 bootleg store. Half of all the bootlegs there were U2. In addition, the walls were covered in U2 Items. It was like a U2 shrine, something every U2 fan should go to while in Dublin.

I got tons of rare concerts from this place. I hope Boots do return there at some point.

A friend who was there last month and talked to those that worked there, said the word is MICK and the boys were in town not to far back and were not happy about boots of them that were being sold, and saw to it that all the boot shops in central Dublin had their items siezed.

It was my friends first trip to Ireland and he returned without any boots.

Once some time has passed between MICK and the boys visit to Dublin, maybe normal business can resume.

I agree! been there for the 1st time in 2001 during the good old days of Slane gigs.

I dind't believe my eyes. it was like a fan dream come true... ..and the fact that the Clarence was very near was incredible.

If it's true that behind its problems with boots are Sir Mick :madspit: and his magic band... ...please Dubliners, kick them back "2000 light years from (your) home (town)" as soon as possible!

:mad:

That really stinks! I bought a couple of things there back in April - and if I were rich, would have loved to get a lot more. Seems strange that it operated totally openly and than all of a sudden it can't!

:( Shoot! Been there, bought to my heart's content-only for my friend's boyfriend to throw it all out!:mad: Anyway, it's sad it's gone, but maybe after Mick n' Co. leave it wil 'rise again'!:yes: had gr-8 stuff!

Back
Top Bottom