(11-27-2002) Paul O'Neill on travelling with Bono - Motley Fool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.fool.com/

Excerpt from Treasury Secretary O'Neill's interview for the Motley Fool Radio Show.

TMF (Tom): Let's move now to a global level. Several months ago, you traveled to Africa to focus on economic development issues and the HIV crisis. It was much reported upon; looks like you had fun and probably learned a lot, too. One of your traveling companions, of course, was Bono, the U2 rock star. What did you take away from your time in Africa? What was it like to travel with Bono?

O'Neill: In my private sector career, I spent a fair amount of time in Africa. I had not been to Uganda and Ethiopia before, so they were new geographic places that I added to my collection of places that I have visited around the world. So, this for me was an update trip rather than a discovery trip, if you will. From an update point of view, I was encouraged to see some new African leaders whom I thought were headed in the right direction. I don't think it is possible, frankly, for a developing country or any country for that matter, to progress at its potential rate unless the leadership is truly leadership in the sense of creating the conditions so people can realize their human potential. So, I was really pleased to see that.

It was great traveling with Bono because this is a guy who knows a lot about the issues of sacrifice and human beings not reaching their potential. He is knowledgeable about the economics of development. I have always been passionate about the importance of water and primary education in order for economic development to really work. He was really determined to see life as an issue of HIV/AIDS. But, as a consequence of our traveling together, he is now with me in believing that, while HIV/AIDS is very important and infectious diseases more broadly is something we have to work with, he has also proposed that we have to do the right thing about water and primary education, as well. I feel like I have made a really good friend. It is a really good relationship.

To read the full interview, visit: http://www.fool.com/specials/2002/02112700sp.htm

-.... But, as a consequence of our traveling together, he is now with me in believing that, while HIV/AIDS is very important and infectious diseases more broadly is something we have to work with, he has also proposed that we have to do the right thing about water and primary education, as well. I feel like I have made a really good friend. It is a really good relationship.

To read the full interview, visit: http://www.fool.com/specials/2002/02112700sp.htm [/B]

Bono listening to a Republican?:angry::sexywink:

Re: Re: (11-27-2002) Paul O'Neill on travelling with Bono - Motley Fool

diamond said:

Bono listening to a Republican?:angry::sexywink:

Sure........why not *listen* to the guy, anyway? It doesn't imply automatic agreement or whatever, that's for sure.:wave: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom