U2 Will ROCK the Grammys!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foadie

War Child
Hey ya guys, check this out!! The writer is funny! A lot about U2, and seems to hate pop bands! Yeah! Go person! lol

Music of a Tragedy-Filled Year Will Soar At This Year?s Grammy Awards

Last year, February 21 was met with controversy and jokes about Toni Braxton?s dress, or lack thereof, Eminem?s crudit?s, and N*SYNC?s ability to create catchy acronyms. The veteran Irish rock band, U2, also dominated it, which may be the case of this year?s Grammy Awards. On January 4, the nominees for the 2002 Grammy Award show were announced at a press conference in Beverly Hills. U2?s manager, Paul McGuinness, used his cell phone to track his band across Europe to tell them the good news: they picked up eight nominations.
Although the band?s success last year is clearly in their minds, McGuinness said Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr., and Adam Clayton were ?thrilled and really excited, and not at all blas?. There?s a lot of very distinguished records on this list.?
McGuinness is right, the best artists are all competing again each other, and our eyes are especially on the Best New Artist category. Soulful songstresses Alicia Keys and India Arie go head on, competing for five awards besides New Artist. The category also includes pop singers David Gray, rock band Linkin Park, and Canadian pop singer Nelly Furtado who is also getting much attention with three nominations besides New Artist. Also with four nominations are producer T-Bone Burnett, the rock band Train, Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler and country star Lucinda Williams. Classical conductor and composer Pierre Boulez, who already has 23 Grammys, picked up six nominations. Acts with five are bluegrass musician Alison Krauss, R&B singer Brian McKnight, and the rap/R&B duo Outkast. Bob Dylan is back with three nominations including album of the year. Unfortunetly, since he is competing against Arie, U2, Outkast, and the soundtrack for O Brother, Where Art Thou, he has a slim chance of winning.
The awards honor artists in 101 categories, ranging from pop, rock and soul to classical, spoken word and polka. Luckily for us, we will be able to see singer/songwriters get the respect they deserve instead of disposable acts whose songs are written for them by producers or hired writers. All the contenders for Song of the Year, which honors the writer, performed their own pieces. There are a few producer written songs, most of which are in the pop categories.
Dominating the awards this year are songs that helped the world get comfort during and after the September 11th tragedy. ?New York, New York? by Ryan Adams is competing in Best Male Rock Vocal Performance, ?New York State of Mind? by Tony Bennett and Billy Joel in Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals, ?Stuck in A Moment You Can?t Get Out Of? and ?Walk On? by U2. All That You Can?t Leave Behind, U2?s
2000 album was a healing power for many Americans with songs like ?New York,? ?Peace on Earth,? and last year?s huge hit ?Beautiful Day.?
The band has been performing for over two decades, and received a slew of honors this year, including Band of the Year in Spin magazine, a cover story in Rolling Stone, and lead singer Bono is Top European. They already have 10 Grammys, most from their 1987 opus The Joshua Tree, which sold over 17 million copies worldwide. All That You Can?t Leave Behind has sold over 10 million, and is well on its way to surpassing The Joshua Tree.
Hosts and performers have not all been announced yet, but what would an awards show be without the schmoozing? Joan and Melissa Rivers will host Live From the Red Carpet on Grammy night, which will be February 27, at the Staple Center in Los Angeles.
This year?s Grammy Awards is not a show to be missed. The best artists of today, mixed always with a bit of humor, controversy, and endless gossip will share America?s bright spotlight: don?t miss it!

For a complete listing of the 2002 Grammy Award Nominees List, go to www.grammy.com or www.eonline.com/Features/Awards/Grammys2002/

How cool is that?

GO U2, GO U2 GO ! yeaaaaaaah!
biggrin.gif

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

I think this will be another big year for them
biggrin.gif

A lot of positive, decent music in the noms!

I think it's great that Walk On was nominated even though it wasn't really a single in the U.S. It's a GREAT song even if it didn't get a lot of radio play.

Also, I'm seriously looking forward to see what they wear. Will it again be the year of suspenders (w/ no shirt), long hair, and harmonicas? I WISH.

Boy, I love that harmonica...

------------------
~*Mona*~
a litle girl with Spanish eyes

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 01-05-2002).]

Yes, Walk On is a really AWESOME song!!! I don't really care for Stuck In A Moment as much as other songs on the album. But you know what's scary? BRIAN ENO might be at the awards this time!!! AHHHHH!!!!!

Originally posted by WildHonee:
I think this will be another big year for them
biggrin.gif

A lot of positive, decent music in the noms!

I think it's great that Walk On was nominated even though it wasn't really a single in the U.S. It's a GREAT song even if it didn't get a lot of radio play.

Also, I'm seriously looking forward to see what they wear. Will it again be the year of suspenders (w/ no shirt), long hair, and harmonicas? I WISH.

Boy, I love that harmonica...

Mona, don't you wish that Bono would wear a suit?? I know that it would never happen, but we can dream!!!

Did somebody say 'harmonica?'
33334%3A7523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E585%3E%3A7%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32323789%3A84%3B%3Bnu0mrj

Congrats to our boys. They deserve to win them all (a tie in the Rock Song category would give them all 8!)

------------------
I had the loudest mouth. When we formed the group, I was the lead guitar player, singer and songwriter. Nobody talked back at first. But then they talked me out of being lead guitar player and into being the rythm guitar player and into just being the singer. And then they tried to talk me out of being the singer and into being the manager. But I held on to that. Arrogance may have been the reason. - Bono

As a vehicle it has its limitations: it probably wouldn't get you to work and back. But it could make someone a fantastic cocktail bar. - Edge on the lemon

Originally posted by numbededge:

Congrats to our boys. They deserve to win them all (a tie in the Rock Song category would give them all 8!)

Is a tie possible? I don't think they will win Record of the Year (Walk On) even though it is deserved.

Originally posted by numbededge:
Did somebody say 'harmonica?'
33334%3A7523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E585%3E%3A7%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32323789%3A84%3B%3Bnu0mrj

*tackles Larry so he stops kicking NumbedEdge*

*gives a Grammy to NumbedEdge*

I think I have a new friend
biggrin.gif
I loveth you, bearer of new pics
biggrin.gif
SWOOOON!!

P.S. Us *dresses up as the Clash* ROCK the Grammy....

P.P.S. Signs of the apocolypse that will let me die happy:
1. IALW released as a single
2. U2 sweeeeeeps the Grammies with my loo mop.
3. Bono wears a suit or AT LEAST a tie.

------------------
~*Mona*~
a litle girl with Spanish eyes

A little less circuitry ** A little more poetry

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 01-05-2002).]

I don't know, I'm pretty nervous about U2 being up against NSYNC for best pop song. That's tough competition.

Originally posted by Foadie:
But you know what's scary? BRIAN ENO might be at the awards this time!!! AHHHHH!!!!!

You want to know something REAL scary, my parents went to a man's house yesterday (my uncle's brother) and he looks like a REPLICA of Brian Eno (my parents don't like this guy cause he is all about being showy and he is the best and whatever, I didn't go, cause I was scared that he might really be Brian Eno) and now I'm babbling, so CONGRATS TO U2! YOU ROCK!

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

Back
Top Bottom