Sometimes I hate my job...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not. Sorry.

I work at a liquidation company which is owned by an Arab man. Now, I'm not racist, please don't think that. But in their culture, they don't respect women. I'm sure most of you know that.

So, obviously, we get a lot of Arab customers. I work in the front office on Saturdays; greeting people, answering phones, posting on Interference, etc.

A customer just walked in and I said "hello, can I help you?" and he flat out ignored me! I said "hello" again, and still nothing. My boss (the owner) happened to walk up at that time and sure enough, he starts talking to him. :mad: This isn't the first time this has happened either. They seem to ignore me, generally be rude (tell me to get them coffee - not ask tell, don't listen to me when I say they're not supposed to just walk right into our warehouse, etc.). I'm getting a little tired of it. I know it's their culture and what they believe and that, but they're in America now. That sort of behavior is not appreciated.

I'm sorry if this offended anyone, I probably shouldn't even be posting it at all. But it's got me pretty annoyed at the moment.

~J

aw, J! That's aweful. Sometimes I feel less respected or ignored since I'm THE ONLY female working and I work full time around guys that are all older than me, but I would hate to be in your position. You're right about the whole culture thing, and I don't think you sound racist at all. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like something that will change. Maybe you should look for a job where you'd be appreciated? I would hate for it to come to that, but if you're really unhappy (I know I would be) no one will blame you for quitting.

:hug:

Thanks Lies. :hug:

The problem is, I have it pretty easy here. I'm spoiled, lol. I get time off when I need it, I get to play online and I get paid well. I'll probably hang in here until the next U2 tour. I can quit then, or take a sabatical. (SP?)

But, these men won't change and it does get pretty crazy here. It's like working in a soap opera everyday. :slant:

i totally understand what you are saying about the influence of culture...but just so no one feels bad i have non-arab male friends who treat me the exact same way!! when my husband's around they ask HIM questions that I could answer!! bugs the crap outta me. And then I have Arab friends who are totally cool and wouldn't act that way at all. So it's tough to deal with yes, and happens to a lot of people, yes.

What bugs me A LOT is when women ignore other women and ask men...you know, the women who are brainwashed into believeing that kind of treatment of women is acceptable.

and it does sound like you have it easy. i doubt i'd quit.

:hug: cultural things, and come to my mind say: tolerance, but is difficult when pass things thus

:wave: hey j...

have you tried confronting your boss? not to sound like and afterschool special or anything, but it might help..hope it gets better! and see you thursday ;) :hyper: :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom