Pleban Girls Party - When life gives you lemons....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chickadee said:

I'd love to do that! But I dunno where anything is, lol!

It's right in time square, you'd be able to find it easily :yes: Broadway shows are my favorite :love: When are you going?

OK here's my essay, suggestions are welcome :sexywink: The assignment was: should "To Kill A Mockingbird" be banned from the (middle) school curriculum. Why or why not? Use specific examples and reasons to support your stance.

Harper Lee’s novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, is a coming of age tale of a young girl. This book touches on two different aspects of her life as a child, and we see the adult world from her perspective. The main characters in this story take a journey. For example, at first Jem and Scout are very prejudiced towards Boo Radley, but by the end of the book, they realized that he’s just a normal guy that, by chance, saved their lives. Also, Atticus went from being one of the most popular people in the town to one of the most hated people. A lot of this story is about overcoming people’s racism, prejudice, and discrimination in the fictional town of Maycomb in the Deep South. This book takes place within four years of the 1930’s, starting when the narrator, Scout, was six years old. Scout is a little girl who is describing her life from the age of six years old to the age of nine years old. Atticus, Scout’s father, a respected lawyer in the town, volunteered to take on the very intricate task of defending a Negro named Tom Robinson who was accused of raping a white young woman named Mayella Ewell. A white man defending a Negro was unheard of in those days.

This book is very controversial because people believe that it’s too blunt a discussion of racism, it discusses adult themes that middle school students shouldn’t be exposed to, and some people are offended because of the curse words. Because of this, many people believe that the book should be banned and not available to be read by middle school students. My position is that this book should be permitted to be read by students this age.

To begin, this is has good means of teaching them the evils of racism. Racism is the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. (in-text citation) In the 1930’s, racism was deeply imbedded in the culture of the South. The racist and prejudiced people of the South were the cause of the segregation, the separating of people of different races, classes, or ethnic groups, of blacks and whites in the South. During this period of time, the people of the South segregated the blacks and the whites. This was the first time that Scout had ever been exposed to racism. There was a saying after the Holocaust: “We will never forget.” That period of time was a very “black”, ugly era in history, but it can’t be forgotten. The Holocaust was caused because of racism, prejudice and hate towards Jews, just as segregation of the blacks and whites was caused. We can’t let this situation just pass right over us; we must take a stand and do something about it. The cycle of racism and prejudice must be broken and if we don’t learn about it, there is no chance of that.

Additionally, Atticus has such good morals and values. All people should aspire to be as fair and non-judgmental as he. He was a popular member of the community who chose to take the case because he felt t was important and that Tom deserved a fair defense. His taking this unpopular stance impacted him and how others treated him and his children. He was a voice of reason towards all of us. He cared deeply that he was defending a Negro, but wasn’t concerned despite the threats, mobs, etc.; he would not back down from the case because he knew it was the right thing to do. It was sad that the only reason he lost the trial was because he was defending a black man; it was assumed the Ewells would win just because they were white, regardless of the truth. Although, one person on the jury, a Cunningham (one of the Finches Old Sarum friends), didn’t want the defendant convicted of the crime. That showed that they were making a step towards equality of all people, despite race, religion, or economic background. In Miss Maudie’s words, “And I thought to myself, well, we’re making a step—it’s just a baby-step, but it’s a step.” (216)

As well, everyone has the right to democracy and freedom of speech; it’s written in the Constitution. In our society, the concept of censorship is just an alien thought; we don’t ban books. Parents can decide what they feel is okay for their children and it shouldn’t be up to anyone else. It’s a parent’s responsibility to make the right decisions for their children; not the government. For instance, even a child could attend an R rated movie, as long as their parents agree to bring them.

Other people believe that this book should be banned. For one thing, they didn’t approve of the derogatory terms towards African Americans. AS we know, this was how people talked in those days, so people shouldn’t be offended. Also, this makes you aware of how crude the people that use these are.

Moreover, some adults feel that it is inappropriate for middle school students to be reading about rape. In my opinion, middle school students are mature enough to be reading about something that involves rape and adult themes. Perhaps if it was a very graphic situation I could certainly understand their opposing this, but it is not at all detailed so I can’t grasp why they would challenge this. Unfortunately, rape happens to people as young kids in middle school.

Furthermore, several people are offended by the cursing. In these days, anyone that is exposed to society, particularly the hallways of any given school, will come upon these words. It is just the author’s style of writing and no one should be affronted by it. Whether people like it or not, it makes the book more realistic because everyday children use these words.

In conclusion, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, should not be prohibited from the school curriculum. All of us in life will encounter similar people, and we need to choose who to emulate. There is a famous quote “Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them.” This quote stays true to this book. If we’re not aware of things that have happened in our past, we won’t make a difference or do something about it next time something like this happens. We can’t let this happen again.

(and I can't think of a good title...:slant: )

circa1992 said:

It's right in time square, you'd be able to find it easily :yes: Broadway shows are my favorite :love: When are you going?

I'm going in september. I'm working near Boston for the summer then doing a wee bit of travelling! So I don't have long for each city I'll be in. only about 3 days for New York so I know I can't see a lot but I'll be on my own!

chickadee said:

I'm going in september. I'm working near Boston for the summer then doing a wee bit of travelling! So I don't have long for each city I'll be in. only about 3 days for New York so I know I can't see a lot but I'll be on my own!

If you can, go to a museum and if at all possible, try and see a broadway show :lol: Just my opinion, I live close-ish to NYC so I'm there often :shrug:

How long is your essay supposed to be Sarah? (I'm Kat by the way lol!)

I'd make a new paragraph at "a lot of this story..." in the first big paragraph, it seems to be a new argument you are making and I think that would be better.

circa1992 said:

If you can, go to a museum and if at all possible, try and see a broadway show :lol: Just my opinion, I live close-ish to NYC so I'm there often :shrug:

Yeah I'd love to see a museum as well. I'm more worried about where I am going to stay! :| Lol! All opinions are welcome definitely! As I said I've never been so I need people to recommend stuff. ;)

Wild - cool, I'm in Scotland *waves*

chickadee said:
How long is your essay supposed to be Sarah? (I'm Kat by the way lol!)

I'd make a new paragraph at "a lot of this story..." in the first big paragraph, it seems to be a new argument you are making and I think that would be better.

It's supposed to be at least 3 pages double spaced and right now it's 3 1/4 double spaced.

I like the idea of a new paragraph there, it makes sense to put it in :up:

Any other suggestions?

ThoraSEB said:
Sarah - I really like your essay. You have some really great points, and it's well written.

chickadee said:

Yeah I'd love to see a museum as well. I'm more worried about where I am going to stay! :| Lol! All opinions are welcome definitely! As I said I've never been so I need people to recommend stuff. ;)

As I said, I live pretty close to the city so I've never had to stay in a hotel....so I can't recommend a place to stay, sorry! I'm sure you'll figure it out though :hug:

Last edited:
Sarah, sounds good :up:
I really like your essays, you always make good points, and argue well :applaud:

Well, my dear friends, I'm gonna go to bed now. I'm so tired, and when my spelling gets worse than my babysister's, I know it's time to go :lol:

Night everyone :hug:

JezSnape said:
Sarah, sounds good :up:
I really like your essays, you always make good points, and argue well :applaud:

Well, my dear friends, I'm gonna go to bed now. I'm so tired, and when my spelling gets worse than my babysister's, I know it's time to go :lol:

Night everyone :hug:

:lol: Thanks :D

Goodnight :hug: Sweet Dreams...

Well Sarah I haven't read the book so it's hard for me to give any useful suggestions, lol! I'm not sure exactly what your tutor/teacher is looking for. I think maybe you could expand the paragraph about rape, and maybe quote a bit from the book to back up your point that it's not graphic? Maybe the fact that it's not graphic adds to its importance in the novel (I don't know if it does, haven't read it!) and if it WAS graphic, would that matter or is the issue itself more important. If that makes sense.

haha, just feel free to ignore me obviously, lmao!

chickadee said:
Well Sarah I haven't read the book so it's hard for me to give any useful suggestions, lol! I'm not sure exactly what your tutor/teacher is looking for. I think maybe you could expand the paragraph about rape, and maybe quote a bit from the book to back up your point that it's not graphic? Maybe the fact that it's not graphic adds to its importance in the novel (I don't know if it does, haven't read it!) and if it WAS graphic, would that matter or is the issue itself more important. If that makes sense.

haha, just feel free to ignore me obviously, lmao!

Ok, thanks....I think that could work :hug:

Now I just have to think of a really good title :hmm:

WildHoney said:

Sarah, your essay is awesome as usual :up:

circa1992 said:

Ok, thanks....I think that could work :hug:

Now I just have to think of a really good title :hmm:

Your essay is really good by the way lol, didn't mean to sound as if I didn't think so! You write well and it's got a structure to it and also spelling etc is all great! (I'm studying English at university, I can't help it!) Just because the rape is obviously important to the story I think you could strengthen your point there. :D

Title, hmm, am useless myself! My fics always have really bad titles!

"To Kill A Mockingbird... without killing the issues"

or something?

No that's really bad, haha! Told ya ;) :hug:

chickadee said:

Your essay is really good by the way lol, didn't mean to sound as if I didn't think so! You write well and it's got a structure to it and also spelling etc is all great! (I'm studying English at university, I can't help it!) Just because the rape is obviously important to the story I think you could strengthen your point there. :D

Title, hmm, am useless myself! My fics always have really bad titles!

"To Kill A Mockingbird... without killing the issues"

or something?

No that's really bad, haha! Told ya ;) :hug:

Thanks :hug: Yeah, it would be a good idea to expand on the rape...I'll work on that :yes:

I literally worked on that for about 30 minutes tops :reject: Like I discussed it for a while with my grandpa (for hours to be exact) but I only sent like 20-30 minutes writing it at 11:00 pm last night :lol: :reject:

Back
Top Bottom